Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default About to buy... a DVD recorder

I know I've asked this question before, but we're really, definately about to get one this time! (probably!) so I wondered if you all had any recommendations (or anti-recommendations).

We're almost settled on a Philips DVDR3440H model, which (to be frank) I wasn't keen on from first appearances, but seems to do everything: 80Gb hard disk, compatible with all the formats, two SCART sockets (and free lead, I think), within our price range (about 180). There's no freeview, but it seems rare to get a decent hard disk recorder with freeview and we're not that fussed anyway.

The reviews arn't perfect (bad remote and slow start up time being mentioned) but I'm struggling to find any of them that have faultless reviews. Our other choice is a slightly more expensive Sony with more hard disk space, but then the reviews say that has a massive complex manual, so it's horses for courses really.

If anyone has any advice AGAINST this product, opinions on it, or better recomendations, then please share!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PHILIPS-Hard...2159414&sr=8-1

Of course what you really want is to not buy a stinker...

My 2 recommendations would be to pop into a newsagents and have a look at What Hi-Fi magazine (or whatever) and to also have a look in Richer Sounds. Find a store near you and go and buy one, rather than ordering it off the net. Definetly check Richer Sounds' website for price comparison.

Just try to reisist the sales patter of getting an extra SCART cable while you're there.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Most of them don't come with a SCART cable at all, so we'll probably have to get one!

Si.

I originally bought a Liteon DVD Recorder, but after I had to take it back 4 times for breaking down, I replaced it for a Phillips one and I've had no problems at all since!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

Out of interest, which model did you go for? What's it like specifically?

Si.

Wayne Guest

Mine's a JVC. I picked it up cheap-ish from Comet in last year's January sales. I've never had any trouble with it up to yet.

Never, ever by anything from Liteon! Or LG! They may be cheap, but they fall apart like a clown's car.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Mine's a Panasonic EH50 which I got for 200 instead of 350. It is now superseeded, but has never given me problems. The Panasonic's are quite highly rated as are Pioneer.

You can go here and click the Reviews tab for comprehensive information and advice.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Never, ever by anything from Liteon! Or LG! They may be cheap, but they fall apart like a clown's car.
    My DVD Writer is Liteon! I've never had any trouble with that either. And it's done lots of work!

I got confused, LiteOn is probably OK. LG certainly isn't!

Pip Madeley Guest

My DVD writer is LG, I've had it for over a year now and like Wayne's, it's done lots of work... and my widescreen monitor is also LG, and that's been working a treat.

My DVD recorder is a Liteon and it's given me NOTHING but trouble.

I don't own a DVD Recorder.

Just a quick question Si, you mentioned that it comes with 80gb of hard drive. In what way will that be used. Can you record straight off the telly onto the hard drive?

WhiteCrow Guest

I got a Phillips DVD recorder last year and have found it to be a bit "wierd", a bit like a computer it's got some wierd behaviour at times - dunno if it's the machine or I've just not figured how to program it.

We have a Panasonic, which is fairly reliable and easy to use, but it doesn't have a hard drive, so I can't help with one of those.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Buying a recorder with a hard drive would give more editing options, and a recorder which accepts RAM disc's would also.

Just a quick question Si, you mentioned that it comes with 80gb of hard drive. In what way will that be used. Can you record straight off the telly onto the hard drive?
    Yes, I believe it's like an "intermediate" space for storing video, so you can edit it and play around with it before writing it to disc?

Thanks for all your help, though it seems for every person with a bad experience of brand X, there's someone else who's had no problems with it.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Yes, I believe it's like an "intermediate" space for storing video, so you can edit it and play around with it before writing it to disc?
    Correctamundo. Just like you would with a computer hard drive (but obviously with less freedom)

Thanks for all your help, though it seems for every person with a bad experience of brand X, there's someone else who's had no problems with it.
    It's the same with everything, really. But I think you're in good hands with that one there Si, it does both - and + discs, you've got two SCARTs, it's got a good sized hard drive, and Philips is a good name. I agree with Mr McCow though, you might be better getting it from a proper retailer rather than an Amazon Marketplace seller, as if it went wrong you'd be up poo creek sans paddle. Although I bought mine from an online store, it had a three year guarantee - guarantees are always worth it for peace of mind.

Can you edit the stuff you upload to the hard disk before you arrange it on a disc, e.g to tidy up the file, get rid of adverts etc? If so, what's the software like?

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Can you edit the stuff you upload to the hard disk before you arrange it on a disc, e.g to tidy up the file, get rid of adverts etc? If so, what's the software like?

Si.
    Well, if you're doing it with a PC, you'd just upload the raw video and edit away frame by frame, add fades to black etc etc to your heart's content, and then add completely custom menus to your DVD (I make mine via Photoshop, you've seen them in past DVDs). But it's rather laborious to do & you need to learn the software - much easier with a DVD-HDD recorder, you can also edit out adverts frame by frame via your remote control, then burn the programmes to a disc, although with their normal menus (you usually get a choice of colour schemes though).

The bonus with a DVD-HDD recorder of course is that, taking Who as an example, I start recording at the end of the People's Quiz, and leave it till Confidential is finished. Then I can cut out the unimportant stuff, but keep things like continuity/trailers for the show. Cause I like those things. Gone are the days of trying to be quick with your VCR pause button, to get a perfect join, you can just sort it all out in your own time afterwards.

Is DVD-HDD simply a DVD recorder with a Hard Drive? I get confused between this and HD format.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Yes, it's got nothing to do with High Definition - HDD stands for Hard Disc Drive.

We've recently updated from a standrad Sony DVD Recorder to a HDD Recorder, and it's fab! It's also got a built-in Freeview Tuner so it amazingly easy to use!

I'd highly recommend it!

I've never had any problems with my Sony DVD recorder (160GB Hard Drive with Freeview).

I'm turning into Steve Roberts!

What does this mean:
    DVD-RAM Playback: No

DVD-RAM Recording: No
    Is it bad? We haven't purchased yet.

Si.