Thread: The Master...

Default The Master...

So, the Master then! I was intrigued by RTD's comments on Confy last night that it took him ages to work out how to write for the Master - and I'm also intrigued in how he has written the Master, for last night's episode 12.

Just as the Doctor changes with each incarnation, and yet still retains certain basic traits, I suppose the Master does too. But is the Master as played by John Simms like his predecessors? What do you think? I'm not knocking it by the way, either writing or performance, I'm just curious as to how 'recognisable' the character is, and to what extent he could just have been some previously-unknown Timelord bad guy?

So the new Master, then - what's he made of?

The new Master is made of crap.

I hate the new comedy Master. RTD should be removed from the show before he totally destroys it. I prefer my Masters camp and hammy like Delgardo, Ainsley and Robards. Simmmsss needs to go as about 20% of fans can't speell his name right.

I know. Illiterate fandom. Christopher Ecclestone never had the problem of peoplemisspelling his name ;P

I loved Simm in the role. I don't know if epeated exposure may grate a little, butfor a relaunch I think it was a tour de force performance. My only concern is with his manic portrayal and David Tennant's often manic portrayal, it may get too comical or there may be too little to offset against if the writers get lazy.

Sure, it's not the Master as we know him, but I think they tried too hard initially to make Ainlee like Delgado.

The Master has always found the Doctor a tiresome bore; a goody-two shoes; and this makes him bitter that he's not as good. This is consistent accross all the incarnations, even the new one, and just as the Master often comitted atrocities simply to humiliate the Doctor, we see Simm's incarnation turning him into an old man for the same ends.

The differences are that this Master is more manic, more energetic, as you'd expect for a Master with a new body to run about in. He's certainly less stately and calculating than the Ainley and Delgado incarnations. He's had his insanity ramped up by a factor of ten (and his sex drive reinvigourated). But this doesn't change his over-riding ambitions which are to cause mischief and mayhem to gain power and show up his nemesis.

Si.

I agree with Si.

He's even teamed up with an alien force that's clearly more powerful than he is!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I really like him, possibly my favourite incarnation of The Master!

I think The Master works well as a darker reflection of the Doctor, which is exactly what we got with Pertwee and Delgado. They were both rather distinguished gentlemen, enjoyed the finer things in life, very calm and composed. With Tennant and Simm we have a similar thing in that they are both somewhat manic/energetic, so the Master seems like he's more of an 'equal' for the Doctor. I think if a villain takes themselves too seriously, they lose some menace.

They missed a trick not making the Ainley doctor a youthful but open-faced ambassador for the game of Rounders to complete the pattern.

Si.

"And I was vain enough to think it was me he's after... Third base is his target!!"

"Peoples of the rounders field please attend carefully. I have it in my power to outrun you all."
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!