Default Phil Collinson is leaving!

According to The Daily Star on Sunday and now picked up by ITV Teletext (Page 142):

Quote Originally Posted by Teletext
    Corrie chiefs are reported to be planning a major cull of the cast in the wake of a top producer's departure.

The Daily Star on Sunday reports executive producer Steve Frost's imminent exit will open the way for Dr Who supremo Phil Collinson.

Actors whose futures are in doubt include Norris (Malcolm Hebden), Dev (Jimi Harkishin) and even Eileen Derbyshire, long-serving Emily Bishop, though Reg (Ken Morley) might return.
    As long as he takes The Chinball Wizard with him and swaps Tennant for Harkishin.

Pip Madeley Guest

It seems he's now moving on...

The audio commentary for Voyage of the Damned, available to stream from the official BBC Doctor Who website, has revealed some items of news relating to the future production of the series and media related to it. The commentary features executive producers Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner and producer Phil Collinson.

During the course of the discussion, Collinson reveals that he will not be producing the special episodes of Doctor Who that will be made for transmission in 2009. Whether he is leaving the series entirely or not is unclear, but this is the implication given.

In addition, Russell T Davies reveals that he is writing a book detailing his work on the series, to be published in time for next Christmas. The as-yet-untitled volume is a collaboration with Doctor Who Magazine reporter Benjamin Cook. No other details are currently known.

Phil Collinson is leaving Doctor Who and returning to Manchester:

BBC Press Release
    Peter Salmon, Chief Creative Officer, BBC Vision Productions, today announces that Phil Collinson is joining the BBC to become Head of Drama, Manchester, returning to the city where he started his television career.

Collinson will be charged with developing links with both on and off-screen talent in the region and contributing shows to the overall slate of BBC Drama Production when he begins in the spring

The appointment of the Doctor Who producer reflects the commitment of the BBC to grow the drama slate across the UK. Phil will take up his new role after he completes work on series four of Doctor Who in a few weeks time.

Phil started his career in television in Manchester as Script Editor for Drama Serials at Granada, followed by stints as Storyliner/Script Editor on Emmerdale, moving on to be Story Editor then Series Producer on Peak Practice.

Roles of Series Producer on Born And Bred, Linda Green II and Sea Of Souls followed, and from January 2004, Phil has resided as Producer of Doctor Who series one, two, three and four, which has seen the series collect a raft of accolades, including being the top viewed drama of 2007 with over 13m viewers tuning in to watch Voyage Of The Damned starring David Tennant and Kylie Minogue.

An immediate addition to Phil's team will be Hilary Martin, who joins as Development Executive. Hilary joins from ITV Productions, where she produced City Lights and prior to that was Head of Development. Hilary has also script edited No Angels, Linda Green and A&E.

Peter Salmon says: "Phil Collinson is a terrific addition to a brilliant top team working on in-house drama throughout the UK. His signing reflects renewed ambition and confidence here at the end of a stunning spell of output.

"BBC Drama Production is at the top of its game and Phil brings yet more experience and flair to in house programme making. His arrival also marks the BBC's renewed commitment to Northern drama talent, at a time when its base in the North West of England is to be strengthened considerably throughout. BBC Drama Production will play a major role at the new BBC centre at mediacity:uk through Phil and his team."

Russell T Davies, Executive Producer and writer, Doctor Who, comments:"Phil has been the secret hero of Doctor Who for the past four years, and we'll miss him more than I can say – but the most exciting thing about this new job is that so many more producers, writers and actors will get to work with him. I envy them!"

Phil Collinson comments: "The four years I've spent producing Doctor Who in Cardiff have been incredibly rewarding and I've long wondered how I was ever going to prise myself away from such a thrilling show and inspirational cast and crew.

"The chance to return home to Manchester though and start something completely new, is irresistible. Manchester has always been an amazing centre for excellence in drama production and the chance to establish a formal BBC Drama base there, and build on the massive range of local talent, is incredibly exciting. I'm thrilled and honoured to be charged with this task."

Phil and his appointment come during a rich period of on-air successes for BBC in-house drama production. Not just Doctor Who, the impact of Cranford, Five Days, Sense And Sensibility, Oliver Twist and Lark Rise To Candleford, herald the way for forthcoming transmissions of The Passion, House Of Saddam and Criminal Justice.
    Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Pip Madeley Guest

Excellent news - of course, it'll be sad to see him leave Dr Who, but it's a real coup to get him onboard BBC Manchester

Have the Dr Who is being cancelled / BBC killing off Dr Who rumours kicked off yet?