Thread: The Who

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Who

I saw The Who live at Knowsley Hall in Cheshire on Saturday, a day before they did Glastonbury, and can tell you that they were brilliant. I can understand why they were called "The greatest live band ever". Their albums can be quite good, but it's live were they exceed most other bands. There's only two of the original band left, but the bass player has been with them a while and Zac Starkey is almost Keith Moon/Kenny Jones' full time replacement. They sound like a band half their age; and all the older songs sound fresh. Plus Pete Townshend can still manage his windmill guitar playing without dislocating his shoulder!
    I saw The View and The Coral as well, who were good, but they evidently have a lot to learn. ;-)

Any fans? Comments? I recall a Who thread on the old PS, but can't remember who liked them...

Wayne Guest

John Entwhistle - Suberb, & very underated bass player.
    Roger Daltrey - Cracking singer.
    Keith Moon - Underneath all the antics, he was actually a bloody great drummer!

And Pete Townshend.

Glad you enjoyed it Carol. I had no idea they were still going!

Oh yeah, they're still going. Since about 2000 I think (at least that was the last time they re-formed). of course, John and Keith are no longer with us, but I thought Zac Starkey was a decent "substitute" for Keith Moon.
    Daltry can still sing exceptionally well.

"Won't get fooled again" was as fantastic as ever.

To answer James, yes they did play "Baba O'Riley"

I heard that between tours, Keith Moon used to forget how to play drums, and they had to re-teach him every time they went out.

Maybe that's just an urban legend, but I find it a pretty cool one!

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Probably an urban myth but could be true seeing as Keith Moon probably didn't know who he was half the time.

So which is better Quadrophenia or Tommy?

Dave Lewis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Baynes View Post
    I thought Zac Starkey was a decent "substitute" for Keith Moon.
    Reminds me of the time the Who supported Miles Davis - Keith Moon was so out of his face on booze and drugs, he wasn't just seeing double, he was seeing quadruple. Watching the great jazz man onstage, Moon commented: "I can see four Miles'".

*loses will to live after that gag*

Actually that was quite funny.

Dave Lewis Guest

What about the time Roger Daltrey was watching "The Builders" episode of Fawlty Towers, and was so stoned he thought that he should bid adieu to the unprincipled Irish builder when he exited the hotel? He waved at the screen, saying "Ba-ba O'Reily."

I've lost the will to live now, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    Probably an urban myth but could be true seeing as Keith Moon probably didn't know who he was half the time.

So which is better Quadrophenia or Tommy?
    Quadrophenia!

BUT! "Tommy" is impressively bonkers, and includes "Pinball wizard", which is just great.

Can you feel the real me?
    Can yer!
    CAN YER!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    Can you feel the real me?
    Can yer!
    CAN YER!
    You wish!

Incidentally, does anyone know how Roger and Pete get on with each other these days? There were hints from the post gig Glastonbury coverage, on BBC2, that they're not the greatest of mates??

Pip Madeley Guest

I know Pinball Wizard and My Generation. And Who Are You.

Woo hoo, woo hoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    I know Pinball Wizard and My Generation. And Who Are You.

Woo hoo, woo hoo.
    To put itinto context, Pip, "Who are you" was a lot later ('77 I think).

Also, with regards to "My generation", I know poor Pete gets slagged for the ludicrousness of still singing 'hope I die before I get old', but the song was written when it was written and was designed to be what it was (and is). It'd be sad if they never played it all all. Besides, the original hit recording is fabulous. That great two chord opening, the stuttering 'mod on speed' style delivery, John's radical bass solo, the handclapping and the incistent blundering audacity of it. One of the great all time british singles- almost the "Smells like teen spirit" of the '60s, although there was more competition at the time than there was in '91 (probably)!
    Either way, it makes the great "The kids are alright" sound positively twee. You might know the wonderful "Substitute" as well. One of their biggest UK hits; the Sex pistols covered it once.

Actually, "Who are you" is rumoured to be about Pete Tonshend's late night Soho encounter with the Pistols in the late '70s Apparently Pete was so pissed he didn't recognise them! That must have been gutting, as The Who were probably one of the few '60s 'rock dinosurs' punk rock approved of. Not sure about "Tommy" though.....

Pip, may I also point you in the direction of "I can see for miles" (the band's only top ten American billboard hit no less) and "Magic bus"- very much The Who of the late '60s hippy/psychedelic era.

But NOTHING compares to "Won't get fooled again". One of the grestest British rock tracks ever! IMO!
    Last edited by Carol Baynes; 28th Jun 2007 at 9:25 PM.

Pip Madeley Guest

I very may well quite perhaps maybe try them recommendations, Miss Baynes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    I very may well quite perhaps maybe try them recommendations, Miss Baynes.
    "Then and now" is quite a good introduction. It's been re-issued very recently with a slightly different track listing and a track from their last studio album ("Endless wire").

Pip Madeley Guest

"Then and now" is quite a good introduction.
    Just checked online (technology, I love it!) and we have it at work, so I'll pick it up tomorrow.

Here's "My generation" being performed at Monteray Pop in '67.

Complete with top Moon the Loon gurning action and exploding drum kits/smashing guitars montage. I bet the hippies at the festival didn't know what had hit them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0Xkn...elated&search=

Pip Madeley Guest

Ace, always love seeing that clip where Keith's bass drum explodes just a little bit too violently. Also loved Keith pulling up his sleeve mid-song Never a good idea to wear sleeves when drumming... and especially watches, as I once found out when I was drumming & it flew off, nearly hitting my music teacher in the face.

Happy days.

Apparently Pete Townshend blames his tittinus on the incident we've just seen- where the band performed on the American "Smethers brothers hour" and Keith packed too much explosive into his drum kit! Come the finale and the resulting Moon madness almost blew the rest of the band up. Crazy bastard!

Also, from a point of view that might interest you, Pip, the band's influence was definately present in the majority of the Brit Pop era bands (especially their earlier music and image, before they went a bit hippy and then stadium rock).

Pip Madeley Guest

Hold on, did I just use the word 'ace' in a conversation?

One of these days there will be enough CSI spinoffs that everyone will recognize every song in the Who catalogue...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    One of these days there will be enough CSI spinoffs that everyone will recognize every song in the Who catalogue...
    Enough with the CSI already! Ian was mentioning it wsn't he? It sounds like the kind of programme I avoid,actually!

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Baynes View Post
    Enough with the CSI already! Ian was mentioning it wsn't he?
    Not on this thread unless he has become invisible to me...

It sounds like the kind of programme I avoid,actually!
    It's not a bad show... I don't watch it anymore now since Supernatural has been on opposite it for the past two seasons.. They had some interesting stories when I did watch it though... I always said it was the sort I wouldn't watch, but then you watch the first few minutes and it draws you in. I only ever watched the original regularly though...

Ian mentioned it on the Glastonbury thread.

I might watch an episode of CSI one day- see what it's like.