Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pip Madeley Guest

Default The Verve go Forth, Darling

Good news!

British rock group The Verve have announced they are reforming, eight years on from their acrimonious split. According to a statement on lead singer Richard Ashcroft's website, the 90s band were back recording together in a London studio last week.

Ashcroft and his fellow bandmates Nick McCabe, Simon Jones and Pete Salisbury will return after the summer to finish an album and perform six concerts. The band said they were "getting back together for the joy of the music".

Formed in 1993, The Verve achieved their greatest success with the 1997 album Urban Hymns. At the peak of their fame, Oasis songwriter Noel Gallagher described them as "one of the most important bands in history". Despite the success of such singles as Bittersweet Symphony and The Drugs Don't Work, however, the quartet disbanded two years later.

Ashcroft has since released three solo albums: Alone with Everybody, Human Conditions and 2006's Keys to the World. He also performed with Coldplay at 2005's Live 8 concert in London's Hyde Park, where he was introduced as "the best singer in the world".

Earlier this year the 35-year-old dismissed talk of a reunion, saying: "You're more likely to get all four Beatles on stage". The band's November dates will see them play the Glasgow Academy, Blackpool's Empress Ballroom and the Roundhouse in London.
    I may have to try and get tickets for that tour!

It's this year's bandwagon they're all jumping on. I'm not a fan really ( I thought Urban Hymns was a terribly overrated album myself) but I know there are plenty of people who will enjoy this come back. I'm not mentioning this is the second time they've done this and that it all ended in tears before though...

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Nobody told me they'd split up.

I haven't listened to 'Urban Hymns' since last century!

The fact that Ashcroft said it would never happen earlier this year just goes to show what an attention grabbing, tiresome creature he is.

To quote a certain someone: "For God's sake, either die now or live forever! It's this constant shilly-shallying that's so undignified!"

Si.

The band said they were "getting back together for the joy of the music".
    THEY MEAN MONEY!!!!!!!!!!

They'll play all their classics:
    The Solo Careers Don't Work.
    History (that's us!)
    Bitter-Bitter Band Break-Up.
    Lucky Man To Have So Much Money.

And so on and so forth...

They might be pretty good though.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Dave Lewis Guest

I saw Ashcroft last year - or was it earlier this year? - and he was average-to-mediocre. I saw the Verve a million years ago, or in 1994 at any rate, and they rocked. I think.

I think I'm not as bovvered as perhaps as I ought to be.

Early Verve, before the The appeared, were rather good. Then they split up and then reformed and then split again and then Richard Ashcroft took over more of the writing and they released Urban Hymns which is a massively over-rated album. Band split up. Ashcroft gets cocky and goes solo. Does terrible. Reforms The Vevre. They will split up again after 2 weeks cos everyone hates each other.
    They were never as good as Spiritualized anyway.

Dave Lewis Guest

Gravity Grave is their best song ever, a work of genius. Best listened to in a darkened room whilst pretending to be in a trance, a la Mad Richard.

And Ashcroft calls himself a genius. Genius or not, even if you are you don't call yourself one.

Si.

Unless you're BBC TV's Dr. Who as played by Patrick Troughton.

The Verve generally left me cold, and when I finally came to hear 'Urban Hymns', I couldn't really see what all the fuss was about.

However, despitte this, 'The Drugs Don't Work' was one of THE songs of the nineties.

'The Drugs Don't Work' was one of the songs of the nineties.
    No-one can disagree with you there, Dave.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I can!

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

One of the best songs ever, IMO.

Someone who has posted on this thread did a live and alcohol fuelled karaoke duet of that song with my Auntie Marie last year in Portugual.

Good luck to you, it's all true.

Meh.

Si.

The Drugs Don't Work is an ok song but it's so far removed from most of their earlier stuff. It's all just a bit too regular and boring really.
    And I get ticked off by people who think it's about some illegal drugs that Ashcroft has failed to get high on.

Dave Lewis Guest

It's about his Dad, isn't it? Although Liam Gallagher didn't get it, considering his comments during that notorious interview with Steve Lamacq on the Evening Session....

That's not surprising is it? Liam isn't noted for his sharp intelligence

Dave Lewis Guest

What the fook do you fookin' mean, you fookin' fooker? He were fookin' mad furrit.

I got the new album 'Forth' yesterday. Dreadful title really.

Yes, it's a return to form but it's a return to the form of 'Storm In Heaven'. From the reviews I've read it seems that if you liked 'Urban Hymns', you'll hate this album.

From a first listen I think it's utterly fantastic, I loved the single 'Love Is Noise' and the album as a whole is a dense, layered affair with overdubbed tracks and overlong songs.

It's going to take a few listens certainly, but it's won me over so far. Even if Richard Ashcroft does look like Jeremy Clarkson now.

Storm in Heaven is brilliant. Urban Hymns was just dull MOR rock type stuff. So YAY!

So how long before they split up again then?

They've split up already, haven't they? Seriously - Ashcroft is looking forward to doing more solo stuff.

I don't know but it wouldn't surprise me. Splitting up is one of the things they're really good at.

Me and Mr Rayner have a difference of opinion over "Love Is Noise". The strange duck-noises in the background really annoy him, he says it's distracting. I like them and have purchased the single, though I doubt I'll get the album.

I loved it when Q gave Ashcrofts solo album a stinky review so the next issue he was in the mag, surrounded by photoshopped flames, telling the reviewer he was rubbish because he didn't like it.

Si.