Default Flooded Britain!

Have you seen the state of the country today?
    Sheffield is a mess, trains cancelled, the M1 shut, Standing water everywhere.
    Have you been affected? Are your family OK?

According to the news this rain isn't going to let up until mid July!

Is this all an effect of Global Warming?

Trudi G Guest

I have a theory - i think the powers that be got scared cos there had been another drought forecasted for this year, and they seeded the clouds with iron oxide, and it's all got out of hand...

I think the Ice Warriors have taken over T-Mat on the Moon.

It's a theory.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

A crap theory though, because the last thing they wanted was rain.

Captain Tancredi Guest

I posted yesterday's experiences on the Random thread- the only real problem today has been that with the local trains off, people have piled onto the roads and that knocks my buses back- I was half an hour late home today.

WhiteCrow Guest

You can tell the Prime Minister resigns tomorrow - usually they tour the scene of devastation - looks like they cannot be bothered "well it's only the North so who cares".

But I'm sure one of the Royal Family can earn their due by going up there. Perhaps Prince Phillip can sensitively offer succour to those left homeless. Or then again ...

Pip Madeley Guest

Three people have died because of these floods.

Wayne Guest

As i mentioned elsewhere, it prevented me from going to my Mum & Dad's today, but i'm going tomorrow. It hasn't rained where my folks live, or here in Nottingham at all today.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Three people have died because of these floods.
    But in perspective we kill on average 10 people a day on our roads everyday - which is a bit of a sobering thought.

Seeing the pictures from Sheffield this morning really brings it home to me just how bad the flooding is. Somehow seeing places you know awash with water makes it more real, doesn't it?

These are the times that I'm very pleased I don't live near a river.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I live near a river but I've never had any problems. We're quite high up though, so there are houses that would be totally submerged if the water reached our front door. I've always been quite comforted by that.

Si.

I've got a friend in Sheffield who fortunately is in America at the moment. Unfortunately, a friend of his didn't know he was in America, went to Sheffield to visit him and got trapped in the flooding himself.
    "I remember because cherries send me into a wild fury!"

Trudi G Guest

There's something to be said for living on the 2nd floor!

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I live near a river but I've never had any problems. We're quite high up though, so there are houses that would be totally submerged if the water reached our front door. I've always been quite comforted by that.

Si.
    Same here, though the river near us has very high banks so it would take quite an enormous amount of rain for it to flood, and even then it was flow the other way as our road slopes towards it. Living right near the highest point in Manchester has its advantages.

My thoughts go to those who've had to deal with this. I fortunately live in a town in Massachusetts with a few lakes and ponds but no big rivers.
    Arisia Corporate President
    Assistant DivHead - Events, Arisia 2011

having never been to Sheffield I had no idea it was near to any rivers but the scenes from there are shocking and thank fully the emergency services seem to of got that dam near Rotherham under controll.

But you have to feel huge sympathy for all those people who's home have been ruined by the floods a lot of stuff can and will be repaired but it's those items of sentimental value that they have lost are irreplacable.