Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Well, THAT was unexpected and will lead to many exciting and intriguing possibilities...
    I won't say any more until others have heard it because it was quite a surprise! You'll understand when you hear it.

It's was very good overall, though I found keeping track of the time hopping in the last couple of episodes quite tricky. India gets lots to do and she does it very well, and she's going to be missed in the McGann audios I think. The end of Part 3 was a bit of a shocker too!

Actually i can't really say anything until the others have heard it, because it'd ruin it!
    So hurry up!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Will do Si, I've got some free time this afternoon if I choose not to fill it. I might make a start on it then.

I've now finished it.

It was fun and quite refreshing, but I don't think it was brilliant. I got rather confused trying to work out what was going on, especially as one actor plays both a character and the same character's son, and they are played identically in exactly the same voice. But it was the hopping about time which I didn't understand, and every five minutes the Doctor seemed to have moved the whole ship to a different time zone in a blink.

It was, however, less confusing than any of Alan Barnes other scripts and India was very good. She sounded very different to me, a lot calmer and older and perhaps that's because, as India revealed later, she hadn't done an audio for two years. It seems clear to me that the key objective of this play was to keep the listener guessing. We were never quite sure of Charleys fate, the story cleverly going back on what it seemed to be deciding again and again. The ruse about Madeline being Charley was very clever, and a lovely twist. I was less keen on the whole Charley as Possessed Cyberplanner bit, that was just silly and I'm glad that wasn't her demise either as it would have been a silly way to go.

Her eventual fate? I've got mixed feelings. The ending on the desert island with the second set of credits was strange, and I'm left feeling oddly unsatisfied finding out she presumably travelled with the sixth Doctor but we will never hear those adventures. Not to mention wondering why, then, the Eighth Doctor didn't know her when they met in "Storm Warning". On the other hand, I like the idea of the Doctor getting the note by mistake and believing she doesn't want to be found. I think perhaps *I* would have left her on the desert island, eternally waiting to be rescued.

In the final event, it was a good FOR an Alan Barnes story, though still quite cluttered and confusing. Not bad I'd say, but not a classic.

Si.

Her eventual fate? I've got mixed feelings. The ending on the desert island with the second set of credits was strange, and I'm left feeling oddly unsatisfied finding out she presumably travelled with the sixth Doctor but we will never hear those adventures
    I think we will hear them, otherwise what's the point of doing that? I was thinking about the cryptic hints Nick Briggs was giving in the last DWM where he said one Doctor would get a bit of a shake-up and thought it might refer to this. It just feels to me that wouldn't go to the effort of dojng this ending without following it up.

Si xx

It was just that India sounded in the CD2 extras interview (which contained spoilers in the knowledge that "you've now heard the story") as if she had finished, it was the end of an era. It's odd she didn't say "I'm looking forward to doing more" or somesuch.

I do hope they keep her, but surely it would be better to pair her with Davison, who's just lost an audio companion, and not with Colin as the theme tune suggested? We don't see enough of Bonnie or Maggie as it is.

Si.

Hmm, well perhaps with extra slots now available (as it seems McGann is relegated to a season of adventures with Lucy Miller now, and not part of the monthly range) they're just opening up their options...

Si xx

I hope so, I'd love more Colin. Although I'm thinking maybe the "new companion" mentioned previously will be for McGann, now that both his regular ones have left. Most Doctors have more than one, and they surely can't afford Sheridan Smith for every McGann release?

McGann's so cool isn't he? When he occasionally succumbs to an interview, usually while munching on a sandwich, he sounds like he's on a different plane of reality.

Si.

My queue has diminished that I was finally able to hear this last night.
    I really enjoyed it, I love all the Time paradox stuff & as soon as I heard Madeline I knew that the 'Old Charlie' was actually her so that wasn't news to me. After the first episode I forgot the Cybermen were in it.
    I followed the story fine & never lost the thread of it but I can fully understand those that do get lost. I had the advantage of being in bed, in the dark, listening to it on a CD Walkman. So I had no distractions.
    The ending was unexpected, as I expected to see Charlie die. But tis way leaves it open for the 6/7 Doctor to pick her up if India ever wishes to return.
    Although the ending music could be a red herring.

Overall I'd give this a 9/10 for a first listen but this may come down on subsequent listenings.

as soon as I heard Madeline I knew that the 'Old Charlie' was actually her so that wasn't news to me.
    Wasn't the ultimate twist that it wasn't her though?

I expected to see Charlie die. But tis way leaves it open for the 6/7 Doctor to pick her up if India ever wishes to return.
    Although the ending music could be a red herring.
    Do you know that she's in the cast list for this months Colin audio?

Si.

You're trying to confuse my tiny mind you minx.
    No, I didn't know that. Is India listed with a character or just in the cast?

She's playing Charley Pollard and there's no other companion listed!

It's a bit annoying, as Colin is the only Doctor with two decent companions already.

Si.

Plenty of twists,snappy dialogue,pacing,atmosphere and strong performances all round made this a winner for me,it had an epic quality about it,and while I knew about Charley's ultimate fate it was no less surprising to hear it for the first time...