WhiteCrow Guest

Default The Royston Vassey awards

We've all been around the country a bit, and surely we've all come to one of those places you've found yourself utterly uncomfortable being there, and vowing never to return.

What's your worst town in Great Britain? I was going to say England there, but that would be unfair on all the scarey towns in Scotland and Wales, of which there are many ...

As usual - don't just nominate. TELL US WHY!

I don't know about a town, but there used to be a pub on the outskirts of Clacton which was quite like that. There used to be this chap who was in there every night, and you wern't allowed to use the pool table unless you beat him first.

Si.

Salford.
    I have very lovely memories of the university and friends and of Manchester but Salford scared the life out of me. It eased over time but I never lost that slightly terrified feeling in my stomach. We heard of and saw some horrendous things happening there and trips to Tesco in the Salford Shopping City shopping centre felt like venturing into the battlefields of Iraq. (maybe a slight exaggeration) There was tales of a pub there were they sold all manner of illicit goods and that if anyone offered you something you'd better buy it or you've be taken outside and beaten up or stabbed. Probably rubbish but it scared me.
    Most of the streets were boarded up as well. How Christopher Eccleston ever did any acting without being severely beaten each day I'll never know.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    Most of the streets were boarded up as well. How Christopher Eccleston ever did any acting without being severely beaten each day I'll never know.
    If you saw him on Top Gear you'll know he's a marathon runner ...

London!

I was last there in 2002, and it's amazing how different it is down there from the big cities I'm used to up North (York/Leeds/Manchester). People are so rude! They just shove you aside if you're in their way! Everything is so big and scary, it's not for me.

OK here goes - apologies in advance to anyone whose lived in these shi...places.

Evesham
    Don't know if it's the worst in England but just looked a deadbeat town, run down and appears to have had no money spent on it in the last 50 years. The village of Broadway nearby by comparison is a lovely quaint little place.

Stranraer
    A complete dump it has to be said, I suspect a lot of inbreds live there and the place is a relic of days gone by. The chip shops are the central focal point in the evenings where people gather for their social entertainment. Just looking at it gives an air of depression. To overcome this suicidal urge, nearby is the lovely little picture postcard fishing village, Portpatrick.

Campbeltown
    You'd have to go out of your way to get to this armpit of a place, about 80 miles out of your way to be exact. I think inbreeding has been going on for years now and everybody knows everything about anything that happens which is not a lot. Avoid at all costs. If you have the misfortune to end up here there is no quick escape!!!

Well you did ask for opinions....
    Last edited by Ralph; 27th Jun 2007 at 1:44 PM.

If it weren't for the House and the old village, Hatfield would be just like Welwyn Garden City and Reading, drowning in its own concrete carbuncles (cue Prince Charles impersonation.) Swindon and Harlow aren't much better; on top of which, both of them are designed for motorists who like mazes.

Hatfield has special unpleasant memories for me. I worked in a converted bank behind the big Asda. It was horrible!

We went to the Hatfield Galleria once to buy trousers in the discount stores there. All the trousers were rubbish. ALL OF THEM!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

WhiteCrow Guest

Bracknell

Have you seen the local lasses of a Friday night??? They don't get much better on a Saturday morning neither.