Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What scared you the most?

I wouldn't hazard a guess as how many monsters, aliens, creatures etc we have seen across all series of Dr Who. However, which one sticks in your mind as the scariest of all? Conversely, did any make you laugh when you shouldn't?

For me, the scariest of all has to be Davros. It's everything - the way he looks, the way he talks..... most of all it's that clawed hand of his! Jason likes to tease me about it, but I think it's quite reasonable to find Davros scary!

On the other hand, I laughed myself silly at the guy being transformed by the Wirrn (The Ark In Space). It was bubblewrap, people!

I also had a hard time being scared by the mummies/robots in The Pyramids of Mars.
    Why build an engine when you have a perfectly good whale?

when i was 7, Noah turning into a Wirrn in Ark in Space, the Giant Maggots in The Green Death, Romana getting those veins across her face in Full Circle. The mutations in Resurrection of the Daleks.

Now, I don't find any of them scary!

Though I still find the Stengos see-through Dalek in Revelation of the Daleks physically disgusting and somewhat disturbing.

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Nothing in Doctor Who scared me, but if I were 6 now then I think the Werewolf in Tooth & Claw might have done...but I doubt it.

As a 9year old & up wards I was already watching horror movies & Hammer Horror stuff so Doctor Who was tame.

The thing that was supposed to be scary in the '80's but just made me laugh out loud was the Candy Man.

just like Dirk - I can honestly say nothing in the old series scared me as a kid..

Wayne Guest

When i was 6/7 years old, it was the Autons that scared me. I was frightened of the shop dummies after i'd seen 'Spearhead From Space', & one of the most frightening things i remember was the Auton smashing up the Seeley's house, & killing their dog. (Even though that bit was off screen - you still heard it squeal.)
    The clown autons & even the troll doll (which is now so laughable!) from 'Terror of the Autons' scared me, but the most scary things were the black plastic chair which envelops McDermot, & particularly the concept of ordinary plastic flowers (a common household item in the 70's) which could come alive & suffocate you! That actually gave me my only Dr.Who nightmare when i was a kid!
    I think subcociously it was the thought that all these supposedly harmless, inanimate, everyday things could come alive & kill you!
    Last edited by Wayne; 24th Nov 2006 at 5:37 PM.

The Marsh Monsters in "Full Circle", for me. Scared me witless.

As a method for getting us to go to bed, my Dad's impression of a Marsh Monster was effective for years.

Outside of DW, by the way - an episode of The War Of The Worlds (: Second Invasion) creeped me out as a sixteen year old.
    The Doctor's almost as clever as I am!

Quote Originally Posted by WileyKat View Post
    Outside of DW, by the way - an episode of The War Of The Worlds (: Second Invasion) creeped me out as a sixteen year old.
    Outside of Doctor Who there was an episode of Sapphire & Steel that gave me nightmares as an 8/9 year old.

Teresa Guest

I'm was more scared by some of the stuff as I grew up, than I ever was as a child...
    I thought it was all great fun back then! Ah, the wonders of a Child's imagination!

Teresa
    xx

I found nothing that really scared me.
    You see I never grew up with Dr Who on the TV. My parents never introduced me (and my sister) to Sci-Fi - they didn't think we'ld be into all that !!!!

I ended up getting into Dr Who in my 20's, at which point you know enough about dodgy/dated Sci-Fi to excuse the use of bubblewrap and toy tanks

The only moment of watching that actually scared me was while watching City of Death. As the episode came to a close, the cliffhanger of Scarlioni pulling at his face and revealing Scaroth's grotesque appearance underneath had six year old Paul Clement screaming and running from the room.

The Cybermen did appear in a few of my nightmares though, so they must have scared me on a subconcious level at least.

Take a good listen to the Mission to the Unknown episode. This had lain dormant in my mind for a good many years until the audio came out. Listening to this episode brought back memories of watching it, and I have to admit, I remembered being scared by the transformation of one of the characters into a Varga plant, the gruff, gutteral whispering as he transforms and becomes the plant is the stuff of nightmares for an eight year old.
    The only episode that scared me as a child, I revelled in it.

Not scared exactly, but I wasn't very keen on the look of George Cranleigh in "Black Orchid" - other than that, I don't think the original series ever really scared me at all.

In fact, probably the most disconcerting moment in Who ever for me was (oh the shame!) the unzipping clip in the trailer for "Aliens of London" which I found oddly unsettling. My then-seven year old found that highly amusing, and spent the week prior to the episode occasionally pretending to unzip her forehead!

As a 4 year old, the murderous Robots of Death with their emotionless voices and super strength scared me. I can remember burrying my head in my dad's chest as I sat on his lap watching the story.

As I've got older (not sure I should share this in public!) the concept of the Cybermen has become increasingly frightening. The whole idea of wanting to remove from you every feeling, emotion, care or sense of love I find terrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Ant Williams View Post
    Though I still find the Stengos see-through Dalek in Revelation of the Daleks physically disgusting and somewhat disturbing.
    Yup, me too. I remember I had to fast forward through it when I was younger!

When i was 6/7 years old, it was the Autons that scared me.
    Ah, that was the one that got me! I can't imagine that I'd ever seen the Autons, but I did have dreams about shop dummies coming to life as a wee lad. Bloody terrifying they were too!

The Five Doctors scared me a heck of a lot. It was the bit with the Dalek. The Daleks always used to scare me anyway, but this paticular instance with it chasing some old people down a narrow looking corridor was horrific. I'm pretty sure I burst into tears when the Dalek blasted itself and it's nasty, squiggly brain came out. I was at Paul Giles's birthday party at the time... days long gone now!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Ah, that was the one that got me! I can't imagine that I'd ever seen the Autons, but I did have dreams about shop dummies coming to life as a wee lad. Bloody terrifying they were too!

The Five Doctors scared me a heck of a lot. It was the bit with the Dalek. The Daleks always used to scare me anyway, but this paticular instance with it chasing some old people down a narrow looking corridor was horrific. I'm pretty sure I burst into tears when the Dalek blasted itself and it's nasty, squiggly brain came out. I was at Paul Giles's birthday party at the time... days long gone now!

probably scared a lot of other people too injust how bad it was in places..

I hope you're not referring to any of the scenes with the Master in them, Larry!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

oh no no i was thinking more of The Castalan's rant about the mind probe..

'No! Not the Mind Probe', has gone down in Doctor Who folklore. It's so wooden they could have made a table out of that line, but we love it nontheless.

I must say, I did find the Zygons a bit scary-we'd just moved house and there was a workie's rubber glove kicking round the house with the fingertips inverted-looked a bit Zygonesque.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamela View Post
    I must say, I did find the Zygons a bit scary-we'd just moved house and there was a workie's rubber glove kicking round the house with the fingertips inverted-looked a bit Zygonesque.

Certainly agree with that The Zygons were with out doubt the scariest looking aliens of the old series but that's probably because they were by far the best looking in terms of design..

Like Paul Clement, the four year old Si Hart was very, very scared by Scaroth. It's a great mask, really well designed and the single eye was quite unlike anything I'd seen up to then!

Also very scary around the same time was the cliffhanger of Davros coming back to life in Destiny, which was very spooky.

Earthshock was scary because of the Cybermen, which were so unstoppable and powerful it seemed to me.

The final story to really scare me was Snakedance, the part 1 cliffhanger especially. I hated all the possession stuff you see and I still find it a bit unnerving to this day- it might be Janet Fielding's masculine voice that does it!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

The man and his horse wearing gas masks in Deadly Assassin. And the Voc robots.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart

The final story to really scare me was Snakedance, the part 1 cliffhanger especially. I hated all the possession stuff you see and I still find it a bit unnerving to this day- it might be Janet Fielding's masculine voice that does it!

Si xx
    oh go on Si admitt it it was that big rubber snake that really scared you -
    Last edited by Larry; 25th Nov 2006 at 12:33 PM.

I can't really remember anything specifically scary from when I used to watch the series as a kid, but there are still a few things now that I find very creepy:

• The Stengos/Dalek bit in Revelation
    • Mr Oak and Mr Quill
    • The horse/gasmask and the locomotive cliffhanger from Deadly Assassin

I also hide behind the sofa whenever Battlefield is on but for all the wrong reasons.....