Default Bomb found in Piccadily Circus / car crashes into Glasgow airport

Breaking news:

Police have made safe a explosive device in London.
    Officers were called to reports of a suspicious vehicle parked in The Haymarket shortly before 0200 BST.

The immediate area was cordoned off while police examined what they described as a "potentially viable explosive device".

The Metropolitan Police Counter Terrorism Command has launched an investigation and The Haymarket is likely to remain closed for some time.
    Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Trudi G Guest

It's a good job they've found this device before it went off and killed people.

Absolutely. If it'd gone off in the rush hour, god knows how many people could have been hurt/ killed?

Si xx

Pip Madeley Guest

The bouncer who spotted the man erratically driving the car/crashing it and running off is a hero.

I heard that it was a car full of propane cylinders. It might not have necessarily been a intended as a bommb but its certainly suspicious.

Just read this on the BBC website

Officers carried out a controlled explosion on the car which was loaded with petrol, gas cylinders and nails at 0200 BST in Haymarket
    I would say thats pretty much a bomb!

That's pretty conclusive evidence for it being a bomb, isn't it?

Si xx

There's been one at Glasgow airport now too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6257194.stm

Pip Madeley Guest

Thank goodness nobody was hurt - it seems the police restrained one of the men, possibly both. It seems one of them poured petrol over himself then caught fire from the resulting flames from the crash. The whole place has come to a standstill, the terminal building has been evacuated, with all flights to and from Glasgow suspended until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Thank goodness nobody was hurt
    I understand one of the perpetrators was on fire - I won't be losing any sleep over his welfare.

Only in Glasgow would an eyewitness tackle a burning man!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6257292.stm

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Tears View Post
    Only in Glasgow would an eyewitness tackle a burning man!
    I say good on the public for tackling the would be terrorist scum!

These guys must have been as thick as pig shit which is quite fortunate.

Not a good day for the asian community in Glasgow

removed as it was a worthless joke that was probably not appropriate or funny.
    Last edited by davethesailor; 30th Jun 2007 at 7:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    I say good on the public for tackling the would be terrorist scum!
    just a shame the police did not shoot the bas*ed dead.

Pip Madeley Guest

Britain's now on the highest level of terror alert, I must admit, I'm quite scared about it all.

I've got to say I feel oddly complacent about the whole thing. Obviously it's a pretty shocking state of affairs we're in when there are three separate attempts to bomb locations in two days, but at the same time I'm resolute that it's not going to change my life in anyway, at least on a day to day basis. When I was in London yesterday, despite having known about the Haymarket incident, I didn't even think about the possibility of something happening - I really can't explain why, I probably should have, but I just didn't.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's almost like I'm jaded by the whole terrorist thing, obviously when incidents happen it's horrific, but it's almost like the possibility of something happening is something we just have to live with these days, and that's, sadly, just how it is at the moment. And at the same time I really think the best way to retaliate is to go on living your life as well as you possibly can do, and not live in fear of something happening.

And I think it should be mentioned that whilst there may well be links to Al Queida, it might be the sort where someone has been influenced by their propoganda rather than it being sleeper agents who has been planning this for years, mainly because they were pretty shoddy attempts, all of which failed in having the impact that was intended.
    Last edited by Alex; 1st Jul 2007 at 2:07 AM.

Captain Tancredi Guest

The thing with the terror alert scale is that the highest level means an attack is "imminent", i.e. about to happen- which, if it's right, is only going to create more public concern because people start waiting for it to happen. I'm not sure it isn't a bad choice of words and it hasn't just been moved up because attacks have either happened or been intended.

However you look at it, it's a big weekend with lots of things going on, and it has to be said, if you were going to attack any country, an ideal time to do it would be after a change of national leader with everybody in the cabinet new to their jobs and not really sure of their responsibilities. Gay Pride would be a particularly effective and divisive target to hit as well- if you set a bomb off which kills fifty people at Victoria station, the press and population in general will condemn you, but set one off which kills a hundred revellers at Pride and the reaction will be rather more awkward as the Daily Mail brigade will say "yes, it's terrible but they shouldn't have been doing that anyway". The fact that nobody seems to have claimed overall responsibility for the attacks does seem to suggest to me that these were small independent groups, though.

So now we're supposed to "stand together", apparently. Well, given that the weather here is pretty dismal, I was going to stop in the flat all day apart from a trip out to the shops, so I'm not sure how I do that. Unless, of course (as I suspect) it's just code for not fire-bombing my nearest mosque and smashing the windows of the kebab shop.

Trudi G Guest

We had terrorism and bombs with the IRA - but admittedly they gave us warnings before an attack. The frightening thing about these people is that they seem to have no concern that they may kill totally indescriminently, including killing themselves, and that means it's hard to trust anyone.
    It's pure luck that no-ones been killed, and it just goes to show that a little vigilance can go a long way. We must not let these people disrupt our lives and make us give in to them - that is what they want. What we must do is be aware that when we see something that doesn't look quite right, we must act on it and contact the police - and not walk away thinking "it's probably nothing". It's always better to be safe than sorry.

WhiteCrow Guest

Its really annoying - enough to get me quite angry this kind of behaviour. What makes people want to do this?

My heart goes out for those in Iraq where this is a daily occurance, perpertrated by their own people who think it'll change things? But it's annoying because it feels Britain is singled out particularly amongst Western countries as a soft touch.

I'm like Alex. I feel quite complacent about them now I must admit which I don't know is a good thing or bad thing.

Can I just say though that the car bombs are pretty rubbish. I think they've been watching too may films where cars blow up at the slightest knock.
    A burning car won't explode, even when the fire gets to the petrol tank. There just isn't enough air. And gas cylinders need a good while before they'll think about exploding so chances are they'll get put out before that happens.

Why would someone train to be a Doctor to then want to destroy life ... it beggar's belief......

Pip Madeley Guest

Bloody Captain Jack and his team...

The BBC have issued an apology for sparking terror fears with an explosion in Cardiff city centre during filming for Torchwood.

The explosion was staged next to the Millennium Stadium in an old courtroom building. Because of the latest terrorist attacks in Glasgow and London, the BBC issued warnings one hour before the blast on local radio and police had issued an alert two hours before the blast was due to go off.

Passers-by were horrified by the explosion which sent a huge pall of smoke over the city centre. A BBC production member said: "The filming was planned many weeks ago before the recent terrorist incidents. We had informed neighbouring businesses but could not tell everyone who might be in the city centre. We apologise if anyone was frightened."

Someone on another forum posted this link from the register.
    It's by an ex bomb squad guy and its quite interesting.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07...iocy_outbreak/