Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I got a fashion ASBO

Well not quite!....but I did have the fashion police check out my wardrobe....and well I was found guilty of fashion crimes to polite society...

Denims that are too short and other trousers the wrong shape, t shirts that are faded....there wasn't much left in the wardrobe... ....anyway I'm pleased to report my crimes have now been corrected and I'm serving my probation.

When it comes to clothes shopping I'm really hopeless and can't cope without a personal shopper. I do like the end results and it is a good feeling to no longer be a social outcast but clothes shopping is a task I endure rather than enjoy!

I used to think the time to get new clothes was when the old ones start to look worn out.... so my question is does fashion matter? Should you wear anything you like (even a King Edwards Potato sack) and not be subject to the vagaries of the clothes industry?

...does fashion matter? Should you wear anything you like (even a King Edwards Potato sack) and not be subject to the vagaries of the clothes industry?
    Screw the fashion police! As anyone who's seen me will testify I don't follow fashion & I do not like to be dictated to with what I can & can't wear. If I like it I'll wear it, if I don't I won't.

Should you wear anything you like (even a King Edwards Potato sack) and not be subject to the vagaries of the clothes industry?
    Have you forgotten how I look already Ralph ?

I have no truck with fashion whatsoever (as other PS meet attendees will testify). Apart from smart / casual / only worn at home , any other kind of classification is pointless.
    Bazinga !

I've never seen Jon in anything other than a rugby shirt! It would be wrong if he wore anything else.
    I used to worry loads about fashion when I was in my early to late twenties. I was very into retro stuff and made a point of wearing stuff no-one else I went out with was wearing.
    Now I've got 2 kids I don't seem that bothered anymore and will just wear whatevers comfortable. Cords and jeans with t-shirts mainly (boot cut trousers obviously)

Sounds like Fashion ASBOs all round then!

Wayne Guest

Fashion is for sheep! High fashion is for sheep with money to burn!

I'm not much of a clothes shopper. I get the cheapest possible! So long as what i wear is comfortable, & looks ok to me, then i really don't give a f***.
    I used to get virtually everything from charity shops, but now they're not as cheap as Primark!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Fashion is for sheep!
    I've never seen a fashionable sheep!

Pip Madeley Guest

I buy my clothes from Primark and ASDA George (and occasionally Burton for trousers), good clothes, great prices. I've never been one to buy clothes because of brand names.

My brother has always mocked me for choosing not to wear designer label clothes like he has, as this is apparently some kind of crime. It's not of course, it just means that I far more careful with my money than he is!
    The problem with trying to be fashionable is that it costs you money all the time, trying to keep up. I can't be arsed with all that. I tend to wear things until I stop liking them or they wear out and I have a few staple items that are always in my wardrobe- notable a pair of cords and a black jumper and a couple of pairs of jeans. I'm lucky that I don't have to dress really smartly for work, so a couple of tops and shirts are good for work.

So no I don't really follow fashion, I just buy things I like and wear them. That's by far the best way!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    So no I don't really follow fashion, I just buy things I like and wear them. That's by far the best way!
    Absolutely spot on!

It's an odd thing to be honest. I'm not fashionably addicted, and quite frankly am too "big" to go for high fashion anyway, but I do like to go with a trend if I like it.

Similarly, I think there's a world of difference between being against following fashion and dressing badly. You can wear a t-shirt, jeans, whatever, or smart casual clothing which isn't fashionable, yet still look good. Equally you could follow a fashion trend and look totally hideous because the look doesn't suit you.

I think people might, and I'm not being a diva and I'm not being patronising, here be misinterpreting what they mean by fashion. You don't have to imitate Mr David Joseph Beckham to avoid being pelted with stones in the street.

I think at the end of the day it's generally just a matter of what you feel happiest in, and if you're happy in yourself. Clothes are just a marginal extension of that aspect. If you feel like shite and dress like an old potato sack then it'll be a circle of woe. Clothes won't make you happy. Well apart from H&M panties, because they're a t-reat.

I think I had a point in there somewhere, but it got lost in the mix. Welcome to a brand new station, 1-2-3-4-5.

Trudi G Guest

I'm not a follower of fashion - i just wear what i feel good wearing. It can mean that i can happily get gothed up on a night out with my nephew and niece, or i can go for tight black trousers, funky boots and a shiny top to go out to a breakbeat club. I have way too many clothes, which i have sourced from many sales and charity shops - i just love dressing up!

and a shiny top to go out to a breakbeat club
    I read that as "breakfast club" at first.

A good fashion tip for the ladies from Miss Halliwell via Mrs Beckham's "That Extra Half an Inch" fashion book is -

"don't let it all hang out. If it's your legs that are on display - like in a miniskirt - put those boobs away. Where as if you're wearing trousers, then you can get away with something a bit plunging. Fashion is about feeling sexy, not inciting a riot".

It's a rule...

It's a rule we should all live by.

I only show off my chest hair in extreme circumstances.

Put those boobs away Geri.

Pull yer skirt down missus, we can see yer knickers!

Quote Originally Posted by P-Bal View Post
    If you feel like shite and dress like an old potato sack then it'll be a circle of woe.
    I think there is definitely a feel good factor in liking what you wear

Trudi G Guest

Quote Originally Posted by P-Bal View Post
    I only show off my chest hair in extreme circumstances.
    Si's party was extreme circumstances?

Fashion really confuses me!

One day I am told that a certain look really suits me, then six months later the same look is out of date and looks ridiculous! How can that ever make sense?
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

The circle will come around.

Another good tip is if you're wearing a black skirt then wear underwear that matches.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Kind of the point of a circle, isn't it? Except for circles not having points, of course.

I hate to say it, but at the moment I tend to buy just work clothes and let everything else look after itself- a pair of jeans every couple of years, a couple of t-shirts as holiday souvenirs- the vast majority of my time is spent either in work or at home (where I tend to just mooch around in my dressing gown) so I don't need much of a casual wardrobe.

That said, I'm slowly upgrading my work wardrobe- one shirt a month (or thereabouts), Calvin Klein socks and underpants (my one excursion into M&S socks recently lasting until they developed holes after about three months!).

I don't get what the big thrill is over CK undies. I suspect it's more the name than the actual wearing. P-Bal endorses H&M panties. Madonna & Dame Kylie Ann would agree I'm sure.

Everything I know.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Well not quite!....but I did have the fashion police check out my wardrobe....and well I was found guilty of fashion crimes to polite society...
    This reminds me I was going to write a script for Doctor Who and the Fashion Police ... where the Fashion Police really do carry guns.