Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pantechnicon - eZine

Since I've been told some people here might find this interesting... allow me draw your attention to a non-Who related fiction project of mine called PANTECHNICON. A quarterly eZine, that's completely free to download, for fans and writers of science fiction, horror and fantasy. Each issue is jam-packed with stories, articles and interviews from some of the best names in the selected genres, including both new names and some very well known names.

Issue #1 is out now!

EDITORIAL

Welcome to issue one of Pantechnicon, the new quarterly eZine for writers and fans of horror, science fiction and fantasy. We're here to showcase some of the world's best new writing talent. Not only do we promise brand new stories and articles from the previously unpublished, but we also have stories, articles and reviews with professionals all of whom have given up their time for free. We hope you enjoy issue one, and look forward to hearing from you. If you want to be a part of Pantechnicon, check out our Submissions Guidelines, or head on over to our forums and join in.

Andy Frankham-Allen and Trudi Topham, August 2006

Contents;

STORIES:

TIN LITTER, Part One | Jon Cooper
    If there ever was a man who knew more about sci-fi and fantasy films from 1978 to the present, Gregory would not be a happy chap. In fact, he'd be livid. But luckily, even if such a person existed, it's unlikely they'd ever meet Gregory, on account of him being far too busy watching re-runs of Terrahawks to ever leave the house. Alas, if only Gregory had spent a little bit more time concentrating on human biology and less on the startling continuity errors in series three of Sliders, he might have figured out that the bursting pustules on his chest were not common to men of his age and stature. But bursting pustules are the least of his worries - it's what's coming out of them that's the real trouble, and they're something not even his Mum will want to clean up after him...

PAY THE TAXI DRIVER | D. F. Lewis
    A taxi home after a long and holiday. What could go wrong? Sometimes, London breeds the darkest of horrors.

BIRTHDAY BOY | Chris Cassell
    Some people think that growing old is the worst thing that can happen to them; theyre wrong. Neil Williams would like nothing more than to reach his thirtieth birthday and grow old with his fianc and soon to be born child, but it seems the world has other plans.

MARKHEIM | Robert Louis Stevenson
    Written in 1884, this story still remains one of the editors personal favourites. When people usually think of Robert Louis Stevenson they are reminded of DR JEKYLL AND MR HYDE or TREASURE ISLAND, but what a lot of people do not realise is that he wrote many impressive short stories. This is one of the more obscure stories of his, and we are happy to present it here as a special treat for our readers. Its a story of bungled burglary, and the horror that can come about by the guilty conscience of man. Or is it something deeper? Read, and judge for yourself.

THE SECRET | Andy Frankham-Allen
    Eighty years or so, thats the average life span of people today, and theres so many marvellous things to experience in those years. But is it ever long enough? What if you decided it wasnt; that you needed more time? How far would you go to ensure you got your moneys worth?

LONDON CALLING, Part One | Trudi Topham
    Danger is afoot in London, in the first part of our ongoing contemporary fantasy adventure series.

INTERVIEWS:

MICHAEL MARSHALL SMITH | Couscous and Metal
    Michael Marshall (Smith) is a bestselling novelist and screenwriter. His first novel, ONLY FORWARD, won the August Derleth and Philip K. Dick awards. SPARES and ONE OF US were optioned for film by DreamWorks and Warner Brothers. THE STRAW MEN and THE LONELY DEAD were international bestsellers. He is a three-time winner of the BFS Award for short fiction, and his stories are collected in two volumes - WHAT YOU MAKE IT and MORE TOMORROW AND OTHER STORIES (which won the International Horror Guild Award). His latest novel, BLOOD OF ANGELS, is available in paperback now. He is interviewed here by Trudi Topham .

STUART MANNING | Staking the Future
    DARK SHADOWS, a gothic soap opera, was first broadcast on 27 June 1966. The series ran for six years with 1225 episodes being broadcast. Two movies were made HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS (1970) and NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS (1971) as well as thirty-two original novels, a comic book series that ran for thirty-five issues, and a daily syndicated newspaper comic strip. It was a multi-media success. And then it was gone

However, like some of its characters, DARK SHADOWS did not rest quietly. The very active fans have kept the spirit of the show alive, and various non-fiction books, video and DVD releases, and a short-term revival for twelve episodes in 1991. There have been a small number of novels, an original audio drama (RETURN TO COLLINWOOD, 2004), and even an attempt at another TV revival in 2004, although this pilot was not taken up by the network.

2006 has already seen the publishing of a new novel, THE SALEM BRANCH, and shortly four new audio stories from Big Finish, featuring members of the original cast. Greg Miller interviewed the producer of these audios, Stuart Manning , for Pantechnicon.

ARTICLES:

MYTHS AND VISIONS:The Art of Ray Harryhausen | Caroline Callaghan
    From May 19 th to September 24 th 2006, the National Museum of Photography, Film and Television is holding an exhibition to celebrate the accomplished career of pioneer film maker, Ray Harryhausen. Caroline Callaghan offers up her opinion on the exhibition.

CONFESSIONS OF A RESURRECTIONIST | Simon Clark
    From Frankenstein to Sherlock Holmes and beyond more authors are writing sequels' to classic works. Simon Clark, the author of THE NIGHT OF THE TRIFFIDS, looks at this new sub-genre.

FANTASTIC FILMS FESTIVAL | Caroline Callaghan
    On the 16 th 18 th June 2006 the National Museum of Photography, Film and Television presented The Fantastic Films Weekend, a celebration of the best in fantasy related films. Caroline Callaghan was there.

To read more, visit www.pantechnicon.net
    I am out there... somewhere.

Tin Litter is an exceptionally good story, with an unusual but interesting premise.

Yes, indeed. Troo and I were so impressed with Jon's ability that we've brought him onboard as an assistant editor from issue #2. And, boy, do we need one. So much stuff to get through...

And, boy, do we need one. So much stuff to get through...
    You wouldn't have it any other way.

Well, yes and no. It's nice to have so much to do, but sometimes it would be nice to have nothing to do. Still, doesn't stop me going out clubbing and stuff, too.

Is issue two still set for an early January debut? I know a few PC problems delayed things.

We're still aiming for the very end of Dec, with an official Jan 2007 front cover. So, fingers crossed.

I've really been meaning to submit something for an issue sometime. Maybe a non fiction piece.
    I was thinking about obscure British Horror films or something.

Well on their submission guidelines they do say they prefer reviews of the more obscure. I'd be interested in reading it, I expect a lot of others would too.

I've moved this thread into Between the Covers has it has nothing to do with Doctor Who fiction.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    Well on their submission guidelines they do say they prefer reviews of the more obscure. I'd be interested in reading it, I expect a lot of others would too.
    Well it would probably be about some obscure aspects of British Horror films. There are plenty of them.

By all means, Paul, pitch the idea to us. Actually, anyone here fancies doing an interview for us? If so, drop us a line and we'll tell you who is to be interviewed. (I think, Mr Clement would be very good for this particular person.)

I would recommend Mr Clement for most things. He's a very talented person.

Now where's that tenner you promised me Paul?

Now where's that tenner you promised me Paul?
    It'll have to be an I.O.U.

Andy, check your Pantechnicon e-mail.

Will do, Paul. Once I'm done here.

The PDF of issue two will be available by the end of Monday, all things being equal. Apologies for the delay to those who've been waiting.

Coming tomorrow, ISSUE THREE!

Featuring four brand new stories by;

Lisa R Slomin
    Simon Guerrier
    Gavin Broom
    Trudi Topham

An introduction to 'The First Men in the Moon' in the first of our new series, Science Fiction Classics 101...

Part one of a two-part all exclusive interview with GARY RUSSELL

Plus reviews, previews and much more!!

www.pantechnicon.net

Issue 3 ALREADY! Whats happening????

Haven't even read issue 2 yet!

Basically; issue two was delayed, and so once we had it finished we decided we do our utmost of ensure that issue three still came out on time, putting us back on schedule. And so here we are... Two issues in two months.

Now we can breathe. For a week, at least, before we head full steam into issue four - which should be something really big, and certainly something aspiring writers will want to check out.

Coming June 1st

Sorry for the delay, people. But issue four is now well and truly out. Go see... www.pantechnicon.net

Nice cover - though it doesn't look like Gary to me

Good work on this!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

He's in drag.

I'm giving this thread a slight bump because my story "Stranger With My Face" is featured in issue four. Actually I got the cover, too.
    I came, I saw, I posted.