Thread: Hyperdrive! :)

Default Hyperdrive! :)

Yes that's right, the programme I know you all love is back for a second series starting next Thursday @21:30 on BBC2.

It got a great response from you all during the first series that I knew it deserved a thread of its own to cope with all the posts of lavish praise I know you'll want to heap on it.

Seeing as I quite liked the first series I'm going to be watching it.
    I remember being the only one at school to like Red Dwarf when it first aired in February 1988 & look how popular that is.

I'll be watching, will you?

Pip Madeley Guest

"Hyperdrive" was just disappointing. Weak jokes, naff acting (apart from Kevin Eldon who actually raised a smile) and terribly cheap looking. I'm all for giving sitcoms time to grow and develop, but only if they're funny in the first place, and "Hyperdrive" just wasn't. The BBC2 equivalent of "According To Bex".

Pip speaks the truth, alas. I really wanted this to work as I like the cast, but for me it just felt a bit...weak...Still, the first Black Adder was bloody terrible (imo!), so you never know, they might've noticed what worked and what didn't and this second series might be a lot better. I'll be hoping that's the case, anyway.

Well I'm prepared to give it another go. After all Red Dwarf wasn't any good until season 2...

IMO

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

It makes Catherine Tate look like a comedy genius.

Just watched this for the first time, thinking it would probably be better than people had said.

I was wrong, twas pretty awful, and a waste of some very good comedy actors. The only laugh I got from the whole episode was 'Johnson' from Peep Show's character and the quick enquiry at the end.

WhiteCrow Guest

It's a bit of a clanger isn't it.

I love the way the announcer said "stay with the comedy here on 2" ... erm what comedy?

And yet you watched until the end.

I thought it was OK. But I think I'll be alone in thinking that. There were several moments that made me chuckle. It's a marmite show I think, I never liked The Office or Gervais but that doesn't stop others gushing over his 'Genius'. It's all a matter of taste.

WhiteCrow Guest

Ironically in the search list this came right next to "Death by laughter".

I never felt in any danger during Hyperdrive.

I caught the final scene when I switched over for Still Game.

I was half watching it and it didn't seem too bad (Kevin Eldon's clone talking stupidly got the biggest smile from me), but there's just something missing - the characters are a bit too broad I think, they just don't feel real to me whereas the Red Dwarf crew did.

I'll continue catching it if I'm in at the time, but I can't see it ever becoming a favourite comedy of mine alas.

Pip Madeley Guest

I heard that, like that Goodies story, someone died whilst watching Hyperdrive.

They weren't laughing, mind.

WhiteCrow Guest

I have to give credit that I found the jokes about the agnostic faith and their hymns to be really quite clever and funny.

This series seems to be a vast improvement on the first series, which could only have been improved by cancellation! I loved the idea of the Green Javelins, Agnostic hymns and the boasting alien, but it still fails to make me laugh-out-loud like Red Dwarf or The Strangerers did!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

Only seen bits. It seems to fall into that type of thing where the writers have obvioulsy spent a lot of time coming up with clever, potentially funny ideas and then concentrating on the first part. It reminds me a lot of the radio series Nebulous. Clever but not very funny.

It's repeated tonight if anyone is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    It's repeated tonight if anyone is interested.
    I was.

So I did.

Now I wish I hadn't bothered

(sorry Tim - thought it wasn't much better than last time. I'll go away now)
    Bazinga !

I actually thought it was very good tonight! I laughed quite a bit

"I decide the Marvels!"

Martin Penny speaks the truth!

Oh Martin!

The second series is definitely better than the first one.

Did I read in the episode description that there was a planet Vortis in last night's...?

I don't know, but the last 10 minutes were dreadful. It just wasn't funny. (we hadn't see the other 20 minutes. They might have been brilliant. I suspect they weren't)

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    The second series is definitely better than the first one.
    Agreed - I've really quite liked some of the episodes this season, on the whole the standard of scripts and ideas are better.

York to be is an absolutely superb character, he's the bastard crossbreed between Spock and Quinten Wilson. Can't we get him into the next Star Trek franchise?