Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    Time Monster's quite good until they go to Atlantis, then it's yawn all the way.
    yep watched it the other day and it dose seem to be a rather pointless excercise in padding out a story..

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    An unexpected call from Mr.Raston. Have a virtual pint!

Why thank you kindly.

I have never understood why it gets so overlooked, Delgado, Pert and manning are all on top form and there are some wonderful scenes between Jo and the Master. The story moves at a decent pace and it really feels like a big space adventure. I would watch this over an awful lot of who, its how it should be; story driven swashbuckling ripping yarns with wonderful comedy and drama interwoven.

Quote Originally Posted by Raston View Post
    Why thank you kindly.

I have never understood why it gets so overlooked, Delgado, Pert and manning are all on top form and there are some wonderful scenes between Jo and the Master. The story moves at a decent pace and it really feels like a big space adventure. I would watch this over an awful lot of who, its how it should be; story driven swashbuckling ripping yarns with wonderful comedy and drama interwoven.

well i've watched the first 4 episodes of Frontier it tonight and must admitt
    i've enjoyed it..

Wayne Guest

Why thank you kindly.

Well put, sir!
    Delgado in particular is a real highlight for me. The Master so charming, manipulative & smug, all at the same time. He even sneers at the Daleks.
    Though i'm never quite sure what happened to him at the end.

Yeah the ending really is a bit messy and rushed. Probably they were out of studio time or something?

I think the master sneering at the Daleks is spot on, I've always loved master stories, i do hope we get a master for the current run but it would have to be such a strong performer to follow Roger and Anthony-but who?

We've certainly been lacking the master on DVD-after all he has been in more episodes than any other Doctor Who Baddy. I'd love there to have been a season 8 box set!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno Simmons View Post
    Agreed - so long as they don't do the yawn fests that are Frontier, Colony and Time Monster. The terribly over-rated Sea Devils can wait for a while yet too.

Poor old Roger - he may have been a fantastic Master, but he didn't half appear in some stinkers.
    ahem..I believe the usual expression to use is "in my opinion"

Wayne Guest

Yeah the ending really is a bit messy and rushed. Probably they were out of studio time or something?
    Agreed.
    Yes perhaps they were out of time. The ending doesn't seem very well thought out though.

I hope we get a master for the current run but it would have to be such a strong performer to follow Roger and Anthony-but who?
    It's a tough question! Almost anyone would be better than Eric Roberts if you ask me though. No more Shwarzenegger Masters'!

We've certainly been lacking the master on DVD-after all he has been in more episodes than any other Doctor Who Baddy.
    I'd love there to have been a season 8 box set!
    Now you're talking!
    Still, there's good news for Ainley fans this year with the 'New Beginnings', & 'Survival'.
    Last edited by Wayne; 5th Jan 2007 at 1:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Still, there's good news for Ainley fans this year with the 'New Beginnings', & 'Survival'.
    4 Master stories out in one year?

are they trying to tell us something?

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    ahem..I believe the usual expression to use is "in my opinion"
    I kind of both agree and disagree with Jonno about the Sea Devils. It's basically a good story, but it's a bit paddy, & would've made a better 4 parter. I do think it's a bit over-rated, but to describe it as 'terribly overated' or a 'yawn fest' is going too far. Something like Dalek Inavsion of Earth fits Jonno's wording far more accurately, & that's from Dalek fan.

All in my opinion, ofcourse.
    Last edited by Wayne; 5th Jan 2007 at 1:25 AM.

Anyone who gives for example The Gunfighters 7/10 clearly doesn't intend to be taken too seriously

Wayne Guest

Anyone who gives for example The Gunfighters 7/10 clearly doesn't intend to be taken too seriously

Did he? Oh well, that's Jonno's reputation down the pan.

Hey, at least I give an honest, personal opinion on stories and endeavour to explain why I like or dislike them! *

Though if you read my post carefully, I never actually called Sea Devils a yawn-fest. I kept it separate from the other three yawn fests. I agree with Wayne that it would be a lot tighter as a 4 parter. Which tends to be the case with most of the Pertwee 6 parters IMO. Though oddly enough neither Inferno nor Silurians outstay their welcome chez moi, despite being even longer!

And we all know that Wayne loves Frontier because it has 5 mins of Daleks at the end!

* that was not aimed at the poster immediately above this post BTW

PS The more I read from White Crow (sorry, don't know his name) the more I like him!
    Last edited by Jonno; 5th Jan 2007 at 7:28 PM.

Wayne Guest

And we all know that Wayne loves Frontier because it has 5 mins of Daleks at the end!
    @Jonno
    It's one of Delgado's best outings!

Absolutely - when we come to rate S10 later this month, it will gain an extra point simply for the rapport between him, Katy and Jon.

Though if you read my post carefully, I never actually called Sea Devils a yawn-fest. I kept it separate from the other three yawn fests.
    I hate to be controversalist but isn't that a complete contradiction of a statement!
    Last edited by Ralph; 5th Jan 2007 at 7:52 PM.

Er, no? I don't see how?!

I nominated three yawn fests (IMO) in one sentence, and referred to an over-rated story in a separate sentence.

I nominated three yawn fests (IMO) in one sentence, and referred to an over-rated story in a separate sentence.
    Yes you were right on the first occasion and I never assumed you had said Sea Devils was a yawn fest - never implied by me if you check my posts but in your quoted statement today referring to the other yawnfests implies that Sea Devils is a yawn fest in your eyes...

If I may take inspiration from DTTD:

Ralph 1 Jonno 0

Wayne Guest

Yes, but terribly overated.

well I also gave tThe Gunfighters 7/10 but I suppose there's no accounting for tast..

November: The Key to Time Box Set - All of season 16
    I recently thought it VERY odd that the New Beginnings box set isn't getting a simultaneous release in the US, considering that it is mostly Tom Baker, it is a box set, and that the Beginning Box and Lost in Time Box were both also pretty much simultaneous releases.

But looking at this rumour, it would possibly make sense for them to hold back on the New Beginnings box in Region 1 if they were going to do KTT box in Region 2. Otherwise if we kept up the pace we would end up with nothing to release when you got KTT since we already have it, and a special edition release on top of what we already have probably wouldn't sell that well. So perhaps that does lend some support to the rumour, but probably not. Though perhaps it is next January's big box set?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    well I also gave tThe Gunfighters 7/10 but I suppose there's no accounting for tast..
    Yes it takes all kinds to make a world...

I'd probably have given it 10/10 i love it! Its the first who of 2007 that i've watched.

Yes it takes all kinds to make a world...
    and what a boring place it would be if we all liked the same thing..

This comment from The Bignell on OG, suggests a Time Meddler commentary is in the can??
    efforts are made to involve new people in the commentaries whereever possible, and they can often bring out previously unheard memories. So people such as Chris D'Oyly John, Hamish Wilson, Waris Hussein, Maureen O'Brien, Martin Jarvis, Michael Ferguson and so on have much to add to the DVD experience.
    Has Maureen O'Brien been on any commentaries for dvds already released?
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild