Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Default 2007 Rumoured Releases

I know this is the all new PS, but I wanted to repost the list of rumoured releases that appeared on Zeta Minor a couple of months ago so we can see how accurate or otherwise it turns out to be...

January: New Beginnings - The Keeper of Traken, Logopolis and Castrovalva (confirmed)

March: The Time Meddler

May: Robot

July: Tegan box set - Time-Flight & Arc of Infinity

September: Sarah Jane Smith box set - The Time Warrior & K9 and Company

October: Survival

November: The Key to Time Box Set - All of season 16

December: Animated Patrick Troughton story

I think it looks now like "The Time Meddler" is a definite, but definitely not March - and it also seems very unlikely that we're going to get another animated Troughton.

Personally, boxset wise, I would be more inclined to think they'd hold over the Key to Time (although, is it just me who doesn't really think they HAVE to release all six as a set?) for January 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno Simmons View Post
    I know this is the all new PS, but I wanted to repost the list of rumoured releases that appeared on Zeta Minor a couple of months ago so we can see how accurate or otherwise it turns out to be...

January: New Beginnings - The Keeper of Traken, Logopolis and Castrovalva (confirmed)

We did discuss all these "rumours" over on the old PS - and I've not changed my opinion on them looking at that list the only likely ones are The Time Medler and Survival. As I said the series 3 box set will be released in November and I simply can't see The Key to Time box set being released as well.

Robot is another story I'd be very dubious about we will all ready of had two Tom Baker stories released and I just can't see them releasing another one so soon.

I hope this true as I love Sarah Jane Smith and the forth Doctor. It would be nice to see their first stories.

I am really hoping this is true too.

-Andy
    Foolish humans

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Mateen View Post
    I am really hoping this is true too.

again I think this is very unlikely with series 3 box set + a classic series DVD being released in November I can't see there being a December release all so as there are so few Troughton stories left that can realisticaly be released i'd be very supprised if we saw another of his stories before 2008.
    Last edited by Larry; 25th Nov 2006 at 1:11 AM.

Given that Steve Roberts said The Time Meddler was intended for release in March 2007 however circumstances changed it, I think this list was originally right at one time.

At the same time, I should think when The Invasion was first suggested for a DVD release, there was an intention to have another Troughton animated DVD at the end of the year, and also if the whole standard/special edition was in the planning stage it could explain the doubling up of 2 stories at once - possibly 2 standard editions, or a standard and a special edition.

Since, however, it's been confirmed this has changed, I should think that list is very inaccurate now, however at one time it could well have been the planned list.....
    Your people? Your people??? They are MY people now!

Oh dear. What a lack-lustre set of releases, if this turns out to be true. Perhaps I'll be spending less money next year with the excpetion of Survival.

I would really like the Key to Time season out, but I agree about the heavy expense in that month.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was another animated story next year. The episodes for the Invasion were delivered earlier on this year and another one could have been comissioned on the strength of that, again with no more than two missing episodes, though I would imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Hex View Post
    Oh dear. What a lack-lustre set of releases, if .
    Maybe it looks lack-luster because we have been so spoilt this year in what we have seen released...

I still doubt a animated story. They'll need more time to complete it I reckin, especuilly if they're waiting to see how The Invasion does first...

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I don't really think the above list will be that accurate, but I would say that apart from "Timeflight" they're all rather good stories, so I don't know that I'd consider it at all lack-lustre.

Time-Flight being released with Arc on Infinity would be a good idea, as neither is exactly adored by fans. Survival is the one I'm least looking forward to as I dislike the story immensely, but Robot isn't any great shakes either.

Captain Tancredi Guest

So far I'd agree with everybody who's said it isn't a particularly strong list- for a start we've no Daleks or Cybermen and only Time Warrior could be described as a monster story in the classic style. And four Master stories? I'd also be inclined to doubt the Key to Time in November- rather like the Beginning set, it may well be held over to Jan 08 so as not to be in competition with Season 3- and in a similar vein, another animated Troughton story is likely to have to wait until the Invasion sales figures are in properly. Depending on the lead-in times, Cosgrove Hall may need more notice than that, although then again the basic likenesses of the Doctor and Jamie from the Invasion project could presumably be re-used.

besides, I doubt that they'd release an entirely animated story yet... they'd probably do one with one or two episodes missing.

In the event that we were to get another Troughton story complimented with animation, it narrows it down to either The Moonbase or The Ice Warriors. Given that The Moonbase has already had it's surviving episodes released on DVD in the Lost in Time set, I'd say that The Ice Warriors is far more likely.

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Although it seems weak at a glance, there's actually some very good stuff coming out. New Beginnings is going to be fab, I happen to rather like Robot and Survival is a bit of a classic. The Time Meddler and The Time Warrior are both good if slightly average stories.

The only real problem is the Tegan box set.

But if it's a Nice Box, then I'll be happy!

All of Season 16 and the animated Troughton are a pipe dream, frankly. Although it could be The Ice Warriors, especially if everyone gets excited about them for some reason next year.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Wayne Guest

It's Time Warrior & Robot for me. You can keep the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Tancredi View Post
    So far I'd agree with everybody who's said it isn't a particularly strong list- for a start we've no Daleks or Cybermen and only Time Warrior could be described as a monster story in the classic style. And four Master stories? I'd also be inclined to doubt the Key to Time in November- rather like the Beginning set, it may well be held over to Jan 08 so as not to be in competition with Season 3- and in a similar vein, another animated Troughton story is likely to have to wait until the Invasion sales figures are in properly. Depending on the lead-in times, Cosgrove Hall may need more notice than that, although then again the basic likenesses of the Doctor and Jamie from the Invasion project could presumably be re-used.
    Again this is some thing that makes me doubt this list as I also said when we had this thread on the old PS a point no body has raised is that there are 9 Tom Baker stories on this list. Now I'm a massive Tom, fan and realise he has the greater number of stories but this dose seem over kill and I can't believe the RT would release so many from one Doctor..

Well... that list can't be right for one very important reason: next year there are ten DW releases. There's only two months without a release, and one of those is likely to be December.

I also can't see a KTT boxset for November, if anything that'll be more likely to be the first release of 2008. 2E don't release an old and a new series boxset in the same month as each other - this was why The Beginning was postponed from November 05, and New Beginnings is the start of next year, rather than the end of this.

The "Tegan box set" seems a bit of a lame idea for a set to my mind. And to call that and the SJS one "box sets", when they are likely to be 2 Discs a piece is rather stretching the defnition of "box set". Was The Invasion a "box set"? Nope!

We know there's going to be a McCoy - DWM competition, remember - and it would make sense for it to be a 3-parter. 3 episodes of "normal" commentary, with a second "fan" commentary on a single episode, most likely the last, I would have thought.

Incidentally, Mr C - do you still have those bits of paper on which the Bracknell mob scribbled our 2006 predictions? It'd be good to see who was the most accurate. Mine was kinda off in at least one respect.

(And I know, I haven't been to t'pub for ages... )

It's Time Warrior & Robot for me. You can keep the rest.
    Hello, has Ralph been at Wayne's computer again?!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    All of Season 16 and the animated Troughton are a pipe dream, frankly. Although it could be The Ice Warriors, especially if everyone gets excited about them for some reason next year.
    mmmm, am I thinking what I think your thinking..

So, they were right about Survival then - just a few months out, that's all!

Quote Originally Posted by Fatso the wombat View Post

Incidentally, Mr C - do you still have those bits of paper on which the Bracknell mob scribbled our 2006 predictions? It'd be good to see who was the most accurate. Mine was kinda off in at least one respect.

And ashamedly I've only just noticed this

I don't have the puzzle books I scribbled them down in - they're still with all my crap back at home which has been long abandoned I will speak to Little Mr C to see if he can find them....
    Your people? Your people??? They are MY people now!

Quote Originally Posted by Fatso the wombat View Post
    It has been noticed!

Si xx
    Last edited by SiHart; 7th Dec 2006 at 7:51 AM.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Well, Steve Roberts has just posted this on OG....
    Nope, I'm just the hired hand! The bloke in charge is Daniel Hall, our commissioning editor. He's now taken on all the commissioning duties that the RT used to undertake, although he's commissioning features from basically the same group of people plus a couple of new ones. Whereas the contents of a disc were previously completely planned and commissioned from within the RT, from April or thereabouts you'll see a changeover to discs that are planned and commissioned by Dan. It will be interesting to see if people notice a difference... Dan's very keen that the classic series releases should be able to appeal to the new series audience, so I suspect we'll be seeing discs which are a little less earnest, more interactive and more "fun" than those that us old gits in the RT produce.

We're still looking after episode restoration and ensuring that all the disc assets are delivered to the technical standards that we always aspire to.

The reason I've said that in other threads that I didn't know what was coming out in March is that - ridiculously - the RT are no longer allowed to know the release schedule. We know what titles we have to work on, but not in what order they are coming out in! This is a direct result of Julian's news item and the huge waves it caused. Julian's a mate of mine, but it has to be said that he has right royally f*cked us over by doing what he did. I would be *very* surprised if the standard of the DVD releases doesn't fall due to this.
    Julian is the guy who posted the Zeta Minor list btw....

Oh dear.....
    Last edited by Perry Vale; 7th Dec 2006 at 1:21 PM.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Hopefully it shouldn't affect things too much.

Ed Stradling....

Other than the decision not to tell us when stories are coming out, which I suppose may cause one or two minor problems, there are no discouraging developments really.

The only real differences between the old regime and the new, is that previous commissioners at 2|entertain were not Dr Who fans, so they relied entirely on the RT for guidance as regards what stories should be released, and what features etc. should be commissioned for each release. Daniel is a fan and knows the subject, so although he is still given guidance by the team, the final decision is now his.

The principal personnel dealing with the picture and sound restoration have not changed, probably because it's very specialized and there is likely nobody who could do the job to the same standard. That's not true of feature production, so there will be some new people getting involved in the next year or so.

Actually the idea of different people being invloved in producing the features may be good news...we don't know yet, could mean a different style and could be interesting?

So long as the restoration doesn't suffer which by all accounts, it won't.