Default The White Stripes

The blustering blues rock of Detroit's finest returns! "Icky thup" is their latest no.1 album (it's great when an act this good is having that kind of success), and the single of the same name is in the top ten I believe.

Jack White is (in my opinion) one of the greatest guitarists of recent times; he certainly has a destinctive sound. The albums kep getting ever more interesting and I'm now very keen to see them live. The new album is growing on me; it's still not as immediately stunning as "Elephant" or "Get behind me Satan" (which was recorded in a week from what I recall, giving it a real immediacy).

Has anyone heard "Ickythump" yet and what do you think? Any fans of Jack and Meg?

Pip Madeley Guest

I've had it for a few weeks, been enjoying it more than 'Get Behind Me Satan' - highlights have to be "I'm Slowly Turning Into You", "Effect & Cause" and of course, "Icky Thump". Loving the trumpet work on "Conquest" too...

I've been listening to Elephant again recently. I've not heard any of their work other than that though....

I do think they are true modern legends that kids will be listening to in decades to come. Above all though, they rock in that sleazy bluesy way I love!

"Icky thump" was nearly no.1 in the singles chart apparently, kept off by whatever shit is there at the moment.

WhiteCrow Guest

For some reason I absolutely love that track "Rag and Bone" - it's like a crazy "Steptoe and Son" meets "Papa Lazarou"!

Captain Tancredi Guest

Is there a cover of the Funky Gibbon on there?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Tancredi View Post
    Is there a cover of the Funky Gibbon on there?
    Stop trying to be funny and get back in that record shop and get some White Stripes bought, young man!

Captain Tancredi Guest

Oh, I had a copy of 'White Blood Cells' once...and I have to say, I was impressed by a band which can play around with stuff like 'Citizen Kane' (the "there is a man, a certain man" song). I just wondered whether with the title of the album there might not be a Goodies tribute on the way...

Shouldn't it be called 'Ecky Thump'? Damn Yanks, trying to muscle in on our culture...

(Hides from Jeff... )

It was released last month. Speed it up, Baynes!

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Baynes View Post
    "Icky thump" was nearly no.1 in the singles chart apparently, kept off by whatever shit is there at the moment.

Bon Jovi's 'Lost Highway' kept The White Stripes off the top of the Billboard album chart as well. Their first US number one album since 1988's 'New Jersey'!! We fought The Great Mullet Rock Wars Of The Early 1990s for nothing!

Has Meg White had a boob job?

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Tears View Post
    It was released last month. Speed it up, Baynes!
    It's not as easy keeping your finger on the pop cultural zeigiest when you're no longer 18!

Bon Jovi's 'Lost Highway' kept The White Stripes off the top of the Billboard album chart as well. Their first US number one album since 1988's 'New Jersey'!! We fought The Great Mullet Rock Wars Of The Early 1990s for nothing!
    Get behind me, Bon Jovi.

Has Meg White had a boob job?
    Not sure, but between you and me it's one bosum I'd like to own!

Pip Madeley Guest

My friends think I'm a bit odd for liking Meg.

But then they say the same about Sophie Ellis-Bextor...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    Shouldn't it be called 'Ecky Thump'? Damn Yanks, trying to muscle in on our culture...

(Hides from Jeff... )

Jack White's wife is Karen Elson, the model, I believe, and she's originally from Oldham of all places!

He got it from her anyway, but still not sure why it's been changed to 'Icky'.

Pip Madeley Guest

Perhaps Bill Oddie has bought the commerical rights to that saying?

That wouldn't surprise me!

Oh, and there's nowt wrong in liking Meg - she's cute, and she plays the drums. Works for me!

Yeah... bit of a downer to bump this thread with but...

Jack and Meg White, who used to be married, officially announced the split on the band's website today.

In a statement they said: 'The reason is not due to artistic differences or lack of wanting to continue, nor any health issues as both Meg and Jack are feeling fine and in good health.

'It’s for a myriad of reasons, but mostly to preserve what is beautiful and special about the band and have it stay that way.'

The former couple set up the band in 1997 and tried to pass themselves off initially as brother and sister.

They have not released an album in almost four years and Jack has been busy working on his own solo projects recently in particular The Dead Weather and The Raconteurs.

'Third Man Records will continue to put out unreleased live and studio recordings from the White Stripes in their Vault subscription record club, as well as through regular channels,' the statement added.

'The White Stripes do not belong to Meg and Jack anymore. The White Stripes belong to you now and you can do with it whatever you want. The beauty of art and music is that it can last forever if people want it to. Thank you for sharing this experience. Your involvement will never be lost on us and we are truly grateful.'
    http://www.metro.co.uk/music/854470-...#ixzz1CpZoeQZW

FAO Jack White: You've clearly made enough money, so why not take it easy and not bother making music for a decade or two? Because although I'm hot and cold over The White Stripes they are still a million times better than the Raconteurs and The Dead Weather!

The White Stripes had their moments, but I found a lot of their music dull and impenetrable. I'm afraid this is a 'Not too bothered' from me.

Gotta feel a little sorry for Meg White though, what's she going to do now?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I have to say I never really liked them very much.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I love "My Doorbell" that at least is a great pop moment. "Icky Thump" wasn't a bad song. Can't stand "7 Nation Army" however! Not sure I'd buy the best of. But it was good to see them pop up now and again through the past few years.
    His stuff outside the White Stripes is muso hell! I think John Peel would have stopped playing them after Jack beat that other indie singer up.
    You know the way Peel would be into something then drop them like stones, lol.

I really liked their stuff. Nothing terribly mind-blowing. But they had a certain sense of fun in some of their songs.

It's probably best for some artists to draw a line under their act before it all gets a bit tired.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

I fancy Meg.

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

One of the most overrated and hyped bands of the last decade, can't say I'll be missing them.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I had a few of their albums and liked some of their songs, but not enough that I'll miss them that much.