Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Your Most Expensive DVD/VHS Single Purchase

I have just treated myself to the Ultimate Carry On DVD box set - being Special Editions of all 30 films from the 50s to the 70s - for 74.99 from HMV.co.uk (125 off the RRP). I've been considering it for a while (having already got them all on bog standard videos) and have finally taken the plunge.

It's certainly the biggest single purchase I've ever made DVD (or video) wise *, and got me wondering what anyone else has splashed out on - should you care to share!

*totalling up what's been spent on a series of releases, e.g. Doctor Who, Blake's 7 does not count, it has to be a single release - a box set being the likely candidate.

Pip Madeley Guest

When I've bought box sets, they've usually been heavily discounted. I've considered that Carry On set, but seeing as I've got most of the films on DVD already, albeit without extras, it's not worth my while, and the task of selling all the single DVDs back for a paltry price on eBay isn't appealing. Seeing as you had videos, it's worth your while

I'll have to have a think about this one.

I splashed out 89.99 for the Saint monochrome set of 71 episodes (Wayne winces in pain at the thought ) which is the most I've spent on a boxset.

Wayne Guest

About bloody time, Jonno.

I think my most expensive was the Eccleston series box set of Doctor Who, which i think was around the 42 mark(?) from Play. I can't remember exactly, & i can't be arsed to check.
    I remember selling it to Lord President, though.
    The 'Thriller' 16 disc box set was around the 40 mark off Amazon. I recently got just over 40 for it on eBay.
    Both these might possibly be superceded by the forthcoming 'Key To Time' box set. It depends how much it is. If it's amongst the cheapest of prices on Sendit, i plan to redeem all my ipoints & get it even cheaper.

Cheap compared to Jonno & Ralph's purchases. I obviously have a bargain hunter's nose.

(89!!) *sniggers

I spent 85 on eBay back in 2003. It was the Spanish (Manga Films) Complete Twin Peaks: Seasons 1&2 DVD box set. Just crappy VHS transfers, but I only had three weeks to watch every episode for a uni project.

Good job I got an A.

I also spent 34.99 on the Australian import of The Invasion VHS from Galaxy 4 back in 1998.

Only posting this to get a classic Front Page Funny...

I only paid 39 for the Sweeney though and I did rather well on my Hammer collection

Wayne Guest

It's not so much the 89 as what you actually spent it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    and I did rather well on my Hammer collection
    Yes, you can't get much cheaper than WJSHRINK.COM.

Pip Madeley Guest

Subtle as an air raid.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Tears View Post
    I spent 85 on eBay back in 2003. It was the Spanish (Manga Films) Complete Twin Peaks: Seasons 1&2 DVD box set. Just crappy VHS transfers, but I only had three weeks to watch every episode for a uni project.
    That's an awful lot, but I'd probably have spent that to get hold of them, especially considering that there still hasn't been an English release for the second series.

I spent so much on my video collection over the years that I got a little frustrated when dvds came along, and eventually I had to get rid of most of my video collection when my Mum moved to a smaller flat. Mainly because of this, I haven't so far actually bought many dvds, and the ones I do have are mostly car boot bargains or presents.

So due to that, I think my most expensive purchase was an ex-rental copy of Bill and Ted's Excellent for 20, about 3 weeks after it'd come out on video. It was a fairly huge sum for me back then, but given the amount of times I watched it, it was definitely worth it in the long run!

TOTALLY BODACIOUS, DUDE!

Before I got into buying online, I paid the 79.99 RRP for some of the Buffy season sets from HMV - makes me wince now to even think about it!

Off the top of my head I got Will Hay Box Set (9 Discs) for 40.99. That's probably it, although the Doctor Who Box sets were probably more but I can't remember what though. As Wayne says, the Key to Time set will probably end up as the most expensive to date. We'll see.

My most expensive ever purchase is probably my beloved "Freddie Mercury Solo Collection". It cost 99.99 and comes in a massive glossy colour hardback book, which is so beautiful I rarely allow myself the pleasure of breathing near it. Inside the front and back covers is all the solo Freddie mercury material you could ever want - it's literally almost everything he ever laid down without the band. His one solo album, the duet album he did with Monserratt Caballe, The Instrumentals of the solo album, the demos of the studio album, the rarities, the demos of the Monsy album, a CD of songs he did backing vocals on, the compilations, the videos on DVD and a documentary on DVD. There are 14 discs in all and Q Magazine said "you'd have to be deranged to want to buy it".

It's the possession I treasure more than any other. In fact I love it more than most actual people.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Perhaps Martin Penny could look at them for inspiration

That will be the complete Farscae collection via sendit,although i did get 60quid free via ipoints

About bloody time, Jonno.
    Well, as you know I started really considering it when I saw it for 100 on Play (i.e. half price). Then, thanks to Pip posting about it on the Bargains thread a few weeks back, I noticed it was down to 75 at HMV, so I'm glad I saved a further 25, and figure it's very unlikely to go much lower in the near future.

I notice you're dissing Ralph's pricey purchase, but not mine, so you obviously rate the Carry On's much higher than The Saint - and rightly so!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno Simmons View Post
    I notice you're dissing Ralph's pricey purchase, but not mine, so you obviously rate the Carry On's much higher than The Saint - and rightly so!
    As Regan would say: "SHUT IT!"

That would be 60 for the Strange Report boxset. 60, instore, for 16 episodes. That was a bit thick considering that I'd never seen the series before...

Still, it's good, and the set has since been reissued without the extras disc so that helps the pain a little.

Captain Tancredi Guest

185 or thereabouts from Amazon for the first seven-season Buffy box set (the one that retailed at 299 or something).

I spent something approching 60 to buy the definitive David Lynch release of Eraserhead. I had to find a shop in Seattle who would sell it to me as it was unavailable and explicitly not for release in the UK.

The box was massive!

Make way for a naval officer!

The single most expensive set in our house is The Complete BBC Shakespeare- a massive (and gorgeous!) set comprising all the plays from the 78-85 series. I believe this cost Steve around 200!

We've watched 5 of them in a year and a half...

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Thanks for stealing my trump card, dear.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno Simmons View Post
    so you obviously rate the Carry On's much higher than The Saint - and rightly so!
    Oh, of course!

in one hit it's probably buying Stargate SG1 seasons 1 to 4 from Amazon can't remember the exact price but it was certainly over 100.