I've ordered through Zavvi - K9 tales too Hmmm what you've got to do to get another set of restored episodes of Leela in her leathers

Never mind, Ralph - I'm sure she's got a pert wee bum...

Is it another "Oh Dear".....?

Has anyone found/raised a bug with this on the test discs doing the rounds?

I saw the Invisible Enemy one today, and there's a bizarre leap at the end of episode 3. On going back, we found that that the sequence from the Doctor saying, "get out of my head" through to the close-up on Leela's knife, has been transposed to the very end of the episode: from here it goes straight into the end credits. What brought it to our attention is that this happens *after* the prawn growing in the cloning cubicle, complete with the first "sting" of the end titles music.

We were watching with the new FX the first time through, so I'm wondering if it's a branching error? But on looking at it in the original version, it then did the same thing.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

How many years have they been doing this? At this rate the only proper version of a story will be on VHS.

Fault confirmed.

Some right arses working for 2e.

Make way for a naval officer!

Brilliant! I wonder how long before it gets a release with the fault corrected?

Wayne Guest

Does anyone know this means the release will be delayed until they sort it, or will it be a case of everyone having to send the disc in again?
    For the time being i've requested an order cancellation at Zavvi. I'm not desperate for this one anyway.
    Last edited by Wayne; 10th Jun 2008 at 4:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Does anyone know this means the release will be delayed until they sort it, or will it be a case of everyone having to send the dsisc in again?
    Who knows, Steve Roberts had this to say.....
    I'm afraid it is in the final master. I've alerted 2entertain to the problem. I can't discuss it any further that this, I'm afraid.

Steve
    So it's a case of wait & see at the moment.....
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Wayne Guest

Ok, thanks Steve.

Wayne Guest

Well if it's on the Master, i'd imagine they're gonna have to redo the Master.
    Luckily Zavvi have just cancelled my pre-order, so i'm not gonna have the hassle of dealing with it.
    I like the story, but it's not an essential one. I'll wait until the problem is sorted.

Pip Madeley Guest

2|exasperate do it again.

I wonder if the release will be cancelled? I'm not going to bother buying until it's been corrected anyway.

This release is DOOOOOOOOMED!!

Do you know I'm almost - almost- not bothered on account of the fact we probably won't watch this one more than once in about ten years.

Si.

But like you posted on the RT site, Si, really - would it be that difficult just for somebody to sit down and watch the darned thing before pressing off however many thousand. It's clear that the fault was pretty obvious, as it's been picked up almost at once by the people watching it.

Someone on the RT forum is very unhappy:

I do not care who is responsible, but it is essential this time that whichever entity has engendered this fault provides a clear and unambigious admission of liability to the DW DVD buying public.

Moreso than actually fixing the problem, this is needed to ensure effective legal action is undertaken against the responsible entity. Only a significant pecuniary loss will encourage better production standards.

ensure effective legal action is undertaken against the responsible entity.
    I can see the court case now.

The judge, gnarled and serious under a wig of white curls, brings his hammer down with a crash.
    "The Crime is serious indeed!" he begins, chewing his tongue thoughtfully. "You are charged, grieviously and with intent to corrupt the enjoyment of Doctor Who fans everywhere, of recklessly sabotaging the release of 'The Invisible Enemy' on DVD."
    The hapless defendant grabs his head in shame.
    "I confess! I confess!" he screams, as the gallery erupts into cries of "Bastard! BASTAAAAAARD!". "I did it! I swapped two scenes around!"
    Tears begin to stream down his flushed features.
    "I couldn't take it any more your honour." he sobs. "I'd made it through Episode 1. I'd got past Michael Sheard with cotton wool on his face, and the cheap sets of the Bi-Al Foundation. I'd even made it past Freddie Jaeger's crap accent..."
    The judge nodded in a moment of sympathy.
    "... but then..." the shuddering defendant cried. "Then.... THERE WAS THIS BLOODY GREAT PRAWN! Why did they have to do it?! WHY?! Giant flies... that at least made sense... giant spiders - they at least were scary... but Giant Prawns?!"
    "And God... EPISODE 3! Your honour, I couldn't stand the boredom in my mind!"

"Guilty as charged!" snaps the judge. "Take him down!"

Si.

At least on the positive side, K9 and Co is fine!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    But like you posted on the RT site, Si, really - would it be that difficult just for somebody to sit down and watch the darned thing before pressing off however many thousand. It's clear that the fault was pretty obvious, as it's been picked up almost at once by the people watching it.
    You'd like to think so, I'm not convinced that would solve all these problems. Sure, one or two errors might get picked up on, but you can never count out human error. I mean, I watched The Three Doctors, and didn't spot the mistake on that until I read about it later. 2|e, I would guess, if they do have a test 'watcher', would have one for all their releases in general, I don't think they can be expected to have a 'tester' for DW on it's own, then one for Hancock, In The Night Garden, and so on.....mistakes are still likely to slip through, imo. And the RT don't seem to have the time (and possibly the inclination) to watch test discs (if they receive them) either.

I think the fact that this release is coupled with another story (K-9) will mean this will come out corrected after a short delay. If it had been a standalone, I think we might have been looking at a cancellation in the short term. We'll see.

I don't think they can be expected to have a 'tester' for DW on it's own, then one for Hancock, In The Night Garden, and so on.....mistakes are still likely to slip through, imo. And the RT don't seem to have the time (and possibly the inclination) to watch test discs (if they receive them) either.
    Why not? Why is this so hard? Not all the RT are working full-time on the releases. Why can't they give a test disc to someone like Richard Bignell or Clayton Hickman to take home and watch one evening? Someone like that would do it for free, and know enough about DW to spot these types of errors. Why is that *SO* difficult?

Si.

I'm not going to get in to this too much, fair enough if you think it's so easy, I personally don't see it as very practical. Maybe you can pop the question to Biggers, and see if he has a free 10 hours to check releases like this out?

How many DVD's have had problems? I know there were issues with the original release of 'Remembrance' and some CGI in 'Destiny'. I've seen problems with the Davros boxset and 'Three Doctors' mentioned elsewhere but no details of what the problem was. Does anyone have a definitive list and know if they've all been sorted out? I'd like to know before I start spending me hard earned cash.

see if he has a free 10 hours to check releases like this out?
    Why 10 hours?

Si.

How long is K-9? I'm assuming 90 minutes? So that's 180 mins with IE. Then the same again watching with commentaries. And another 90 minutes for IE with new CGI. What's that, 7.5 hours I think? Add over an hour for the extras, and you're close to 9 hours. Sorry, I miscalculated initially.