View Poll Results: Is Friday 13th Unlucky?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Friday 13th is a cursed day

1 5.56%
  • Friday 13th is a day like any other

17 94.44%

Hybrid View

Default Friday Poll No.13: Is Friday 13th Unlucky?

It's Friday 13th.

ARRRRRRRRGHHH!!!!

A day for screaming in terror at the inevitable bad luck that will dog your waking hours from start to finish. Ladders will present themselves to walk under; black cats will run across your path; mirrors will shatter at the merest glance. Just as you think things are going alright, you'll find out you're wrong when you thought you were right. It's always the same, it's just a shame, that's all.

The ancient superstition dates from the 20th Century (which some of you will remember) when people added up the bad luck of Jesus and his apostles numbering 13 altogether, along with Jesus himself suffering crucifixion on a Friday. Although technically this should be a good and celebrated day, as Christians believe it was the day we were liberated from the debt of sin.

So will you be rubbing your lucky rabbit's paw today? Or are you above all this nonsense? And what bad, or good, things have happened to you on a Friday 13th?

This probably won't post now. Or am I tempting fate?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

It's all a load of superstitious old tosh. The chances of something bad happening on Friday 13th is as likely as it is on any other day. Silly!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

It's udderly ludicrous. If it was cursed, then I'd not be able to go down and post this letter today like I need to. Some bad luck would stop me. So it's... Oh.

Si.

Well I was going to say but Si beat me to it. Superstitious nonsense.

It may be supersititious nonsenes, but aren't any of you even a little apprehensive?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Unless ther'es something dodgily wrong with the pizza our boss has just ordered in for everyone, certainly not!
    We ride tornadoes. We eat tomatoes.

I'm not apprehensive at all. If something bad happens, it's got nothing to do with the date. It's dissproved by bad things happening on other days as well.

Si.

Don't be silly! I've deliberately walked under a window cleaner's ladder today just to prove all this Friday the thirteenth business is a load of bobbins. Why he was dropping it on me is a discussion for another time...

Trudi G Guest

My mums quite superstitious, but it's not a trait i tend to have. Therefore i think Friday 13th is a day just like any other day.
    On the other hand, i'd steer clear of moving to a home with the number 13 in the address, lol!

It's never done us any harm!

Si.

Today we moved to our new seats at work after a big reshuffle! I now sit in seat 13!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

Wayne Guest

Is Friday 13th Unlucky?
    Is it f*ck.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Is it f*ck.
    That's next week's poll question sorted!

Was this planned in advance to the poll #13?

No, it was just a lucky coincidence!

Or was it... an unlucky coincidence?!?!?

No! It's as unlucky as you believe it is, which is to say there's nothing in it in the first place until you start panicking over nothing. 13 was actually considered a number of great power in certain cultures.

Captain Tancredi Guest

I'd agree with that- rather like newspaper horoscopes, it depends on what you set out to see. Most of us have good and bad luck every day. My friend Jim will have spent most of yesterday in the hospital where his wife was taken on Thursday, so he probably won't have been looking out for any more bad luck. On the other hand, I was browsing in HMV and found the special edition of Spider-Man 2 on offer at 4 against a normal price of 35, so I considered that a stroke of luck.

This poll result is looking decidedly one-sided .
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

all a lot of superstitious rubbish.

I've heard in the states that a lot of sky scrapers don't have a 13th floor, it goes from 12 to 14 but this might be a load of old tosh... perhaps Jeff can confirm.

And if they did this, I don't see the point as the floor marked 14 is still the 13th floor!

Captain Tancredi Guest

Americans tend to call the ground floor the first, don't they? In which case their twelfth would be our thirteenth, but missing out 13 would make their fourteenth our fourteenth...no wonder this is my second go at typing this...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Tancredi View Post
    Americans tend to call the ground floor the first, don't they? In which case their twelfth would be our thirteenth, but missing out 13 would make their fourteenth our fourteenth...no wonder this is my second go at typing this...
    Fair enough then... clearly they need to go from 11 to 14 then to avoid 13 completely