WhiteCrow Guest

Default But Mr Saxon told us to fire ...

This weekend was the Aldershot Army Day - which was interesting.

Star of the show for kids was a tank - I've seen this tank which is based at the local museum before, heck I've even helped change a tread on it before. The restoration crew are a great group of blokes.

Seems the BBC used it recently in one of their shows - yup it was taken to Cardiff during last years heat wave, and was used in the Runaway Bride to shoot down the Racnoss spaceship, "Mr Saxon gives permission to fire".

As you can imagine it was a huge hit with loads of kids - although the upshot was you had to pay to get inside now, whereas before it was free. But no problem, it's a great museum, a super tank, and it's given the team their famous for 15 minutes story. If you look very carefully they're inside the tank, no not the man who yells fire, they're in the turret, operating it ... okay maybe you can't see it but they are there ...

And here is the proof - on the barrel is a list of kills, and this includes one Christmas star ...

Doctor Who has come a long way ...

transvamp Guest

Doctor Who has come a long way ...
    Personally I'm nostalgic for the days when plot resolutions were a bit more intelligent than magically reversing time so everyone comes back to life, setting off missiles with perfect aim from your home computer, or downing a load of water to the centre of the Earth to drown the spiders (it won't evaporate honest, despite the molten heat) or using the sonic screwdriver as a magic wand to bring someone back to life as a disembodied head on a paving stone.

Quote Originally Posted by transvamp View Post
    Personally I'm nostalgic for the days when plot resolutions were a bit more intelligent than magically reversing time so everyone comes back to life, setting off missiles with perfect aim from your home computer, or downing a load of water to the centre of the Earth to drown the spiders (it won't evaporate honest, despite the molten heat) or using the sonic screwdriver as a magic wand to bring someone back to life as a disembodied head on a paving stone.
    I do enjoy the New Series but I do have to agree with Tom's post here (it is Tom isn't it)?

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by transvamp View Post
    My point here was simply it's come a long way when it uses a real tank instead of an Action Man toy and a green screen ... or was it CRO?

The BBC always used CSO...well that's what they called it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Lethbridge-Stewart View Post
    I do enjoy the New Series but I do have to agree with Tom's post here (it is Tom isn't it)?
    There does seem to be a tendency on here for people to have usernames nothing like their real names, but for everyone to use their real names anyway. Can get verrrry confusing at times

!!!
    Last edited by Ian Lethbridge-Stewart; 18th Jul 2007 at 1:44 PM. Reason: posted twice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zbigniev Hamson View Post
    There does seem to be a tendency on here for people to have usernames nothing like their real names, but for everyone to use their real names anyway. Can get verrrry confusing at times
    You're quite right, Reg!!!

Kind regards, Bob!!!

Oh, and in reply to Mr Crow - yes from a visual point of view, the show has come a long way, a very long way (the tank in Robot is cringeworthy) I'm not quite so sure that the same can be said about the story writing though!!!

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Lethbridge-Stewart View Post
    Oh, and in reply to Mr Crow - yes from a visual point of view, the show has come a long way, a very long way (the tank in Robot is cringeworthy) I'm not quite so sure that the same can be said about the story writing though!!!
    I dunno - certainly a lot of the reason for that is the change in format from 4x30 minutes to 1 or 2 x 45 mins.

I have to admit it took most of season 1 and some of season 2 to adjust to this pace.

But Star Trek has this same problem in reverse. They take ideas/scripts which are brilliant for a 45 minute episode, and then every so often try to make a film from it (The Motion Picture, Search For Spock, The Final Frontier, Generations, Insurrection, Nemesis). Net result a story which doesn't work.

Fact is the reverse problem to that seen in modern episodes is seen in some of the awful Jon Pertwee 6 parters "we could have told the story in 4 episodes but we're spinning it to 6". Just so much unnecessary padding.

I think there are some stories (and I know I might get some flak for this) which I think would greatly benefit from being edited down a bit, taking out some of the unnecessary length, and repackage for a new and younger audience who are used to a bit more pace in their stories.

You don't always get an epic story by telling a long story - you sometimes just end up with a really boring one. JKR please take note.