Default Torchwood - Opinions!

Since we're almost halfway through the (first) run of Torchwood, I think it's high time for a questionnaire to see how it's going down!

1. Have you watched all the episodes so far?

2. If not, why not? How many HAVE you watched?

3. Would you watch it if it wasn't for the Doctor Who connection?

4. Do you think it's established its own identity, or is it still 'Who-y'?

5. Favourite regular character?

6. Least favourite regular character?

7. Favourite episode so far?

8. Least favourite episode so far?

9. What are the best & worst single things about the show?

10. Is it better or worse or just as good (or just as bad!) as the new Doctor Who series?

yes

n/a

I would, but I would probably wait for the DVDs, rather than watch it on TV.

I think that with the last two episodes (Small Worlds, Countrycide), it's come into it's own. It's obviously still in the Whoniverse, with subtle references (e.g. the Mara being mentioned in Small Worlds), but you wouldn't pick them up unless you were a fan

Captain Jack, obviously

Ianto - though other than in Cyberwoman, we haven't really seen enough of him to formulate a proper opinion of him.

Either The Ghost Machine or Countrycide

Day One. Don't get me wrong... I DO like it, it's just my least favourite

best - the ability to deal with themes that were presented in episodes such as Small Worlds or Countrycide.

worst - Ianto in Cyberwoman: "I'm sorrrrrrry!"

10. Is it better or worse or just as good (or just as bad!) as the new Doctor Who series?

Personally, I think it's more mixed in terms of quality. In places, it's better (Small Worlds), sometimes it's worse (Day One) and in others, it's just plain different (Countrycide)

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Yes.

Probably not.

I don't think it's that 'Who-y', but I'm still not sure what it is so far. Rather bitty and inconsistent so far but it doesn't usually feel all that 'Who-ish'.

Jack most likely. He can be fun. Gwen's a bit of a drip, and I'm not keen on any of the others.

Ianto or Owen.

Ghost Machine, despite some clunky exposition and the odd logic gap. Or possibly Countrycide, which was relatively focussed at least.

Either Cyberwoman - rather silly - or Day One, which felt underdeveloped and somewhat tacky in conception.

I can't decide whether their big vehicle, with the organisation's name plastered all over it is the best or worst thing. No, best thing is probably that it has managed a few effective shock moments at times. Worst is that it seems to flatline along a lot of the time, and several of the characters are -so far at least - being underused.

Its best isn't as good as the new Doctor Who has sometimes been, its worst isn't as bad. Somewhere in between.

Wayne Guest

Yes

Probably, if i'd been made aware of it. I do tend to like Sci-Fi based stuff, other than Who, But my radar isn't really switched on to modern tv shows. It was really the Who connection that made me aware of it.

Yes, i think so. It's definitely got a different feel to Who, IMO. It generally has a more serious tone, which i prefer. The new Who was starting to get a bit too jokey for me, at times.

Has to be Gwen, really. For a start, Gwen & Jack are the only ones whose names i can remember! (apart Ianto, because of his part in 'Cyberwoman'). I have to admit though that although like the character of Jack, i don't think Barrowman is much more than adequate as an actor, whereas i think Eve Myles is really good. So Gwen it is then.

To be honest none of the others have made that much of an impact on me, so far. But my least favourite is probably that weasly character who's having the affair with Gwen. (Can't remember his name!)

Cyberwoman just pipping Countrycide, i think. Not really because of the big Who connection, but just because it had me on the edge of my seat because it was so full of tension & suspense.

Day One. I didn't mind it that much, but each successive episode since has just made it look weaker & weaker in comparison.

Errr..... ooooh, tough one. Actually i thought the moment in 'Everything Changes' when Gwen thought she was about to get killed, was brilliantly done. It was probably the moment when i decided that Eve Myles was the best actor on the show.
    Worst moment, errr..... Probably the bloke doing the five knuckle shuffle in 'Day One'. I thought that was a perhaps a tad on side of tasteless.

That's very difficult to say, because i've become a huge fan of the Eccleston season, & i would choose that over Torchwood if i had to.
    Series 2 however, i'm not so keen on. I think i would say that my favourite few eps from Series 2 would still take presidence over Torchwood, but overall, i actually prefer Torchwood. It's been getting stronger & more versatile each week, & the generally more serious feel is more my cup of tea than the slightly smug, comedic slant that Who seemed to develop during Series 2.
    Last edited by Wayne; 25th Nov 2006 at 12:49 PM.

1. Have you watched all the episodes so far? - yes

3. Would you watch it if it wasn't for the Doctor Who connection? - don't know

4. Do you think it's established its own identity, or is it still 'Who-y'? - {b} bit of both [/b]

5. Favourite regular character? - Jack

6. Least favourite regular character? - Ianto

7. Favourite episode so far? - Cyberwoman

8. Least favourite episode so far? - Day one

10. Is it better or worse or just as good (or just as bad!) as the new Doctor Who series? - would not say it's worse than Doctor Who - but it's certainly not better

Yes

N/A

Yes, though I may not have known about it straight away if it hadn't been for the Doctor Who connection.

It definitely has its own identity, the nods to Doctor Who have, for the most part, been quite subtle.

Jack

Tosh

Small Worlds

Everything Changes

The Best thing woud be the differing types of stories there have been so far, the worst is that some characters haven't had enough to do and therefore haven't become as fully rounded as they could be. Tosh and Ianto being the main ones.

It's different, but no better or worse collectively. Small Worlds is certainly as good as some of the better Doctor Who episodes, while Everything Changes is better than some of the worst of new Doctor Who.

1. Have you watched all the episodes so far? Yes
    Probably not actually. Though I might have been interested because it was British.
    I think with Countrycide it's completely diverged from Doctor Who. I just can't imagine the Doctor appearing in the show now.
    Jack is cool, Owen is evil.
    What was the PJ Hammond one called?
    None of them have been completely bad. I liked Day One!
    The Cyberwoman was an utterly abysmal design. And there have been a few flaws like that, meaning it's not as cool as it should be.
    Worse, but then the new Doctor Who is absolutely stunning amazingly cool!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I don't think much of Torchwood so far, but here goes..

- Yes

-N/A

- Probably

- Hmmm. Sort of.

- I have to say I don't really like any of them, bar Capt. Jack. They haven't made an impact on me.

- See above.

- Ghost Machine. Emotional

- Day One. Laughable

- Does it have to be single things? The worst thing is that it is distinctly average fare. Watchable, but instantly forgettable.

- The thing is, they've tried to produce an edgy, adult drama and for me it fails on several levels. With the exception of Countrycide, it isn't remotely scary. Unquiet Dead and Empty Child were more frightening. Instead, it's almost like they've taken spare Who scripts and thrown in blood, language and needless sex and lesbian kissing to make it "adult".
    Also, there is also a severe lack of character development (even Jack, here) so how do you relate to them? Or care?
    It's doesn't compare to Doctor Who. That programme knows what it is and how to deliver.
    Torchwood currently hasn't a clue.

1. Have you watched all the episodes so far? Yes.

2. If not, why not? How many HAVE you watched? See 1.

3. Would you watch it if it wasn't for the Doctor Who connection? Probably, on recommendation from P.S.

4. Do you think it's established its own identity, or is it still 'Who-y'? Oh yes, very much so after the first two episodes.

5. Favourite regular character? Jack.

6. Least favourite regular character? Toshiko.

7. Favourite episode so far? Small Worlds.

8. Least favourite episode so far? Day one.

9. What are the best & worst single things about the show? Best? The adultness with relation to being able to go further than Doctor Who. Worst? The adultness of the scripts with regard to all the unnecessary swearing & sexual references.

10. Is it better or worse or just as good (or just as bad!) as the new Doctor Who series? Totally different, it depends on what you want. I'd liken them to engines, Torchwood being a Diesel & Doctor Who being a Petrol.

Pip Madeley Guest

No.

I didn't watch last week's episode.

Probably not.

It's established itself, I think. That's probably why I can't be bothered.

Gwen, she's great, and she's cute too.

Owen. His mouth is odd.

Small Worlds. Was fantastic, that one.

Day One. Appalling.

The fact it can push the violence/drama more than Doctor Who can.
    Shame about the juveline sexual scenes/references, though.

Too different to compare.

Dave Lewis Guest

No.

All of them except this week's, which I shall probably watch tomorrow.

It wouldn't exist without it, and it's so rooted in the style and mythos of its parent show it's difficult to imagine it existing without Who. As a new British sci-fi-ish series, would I have tuned in? I watched The Last Train but not that one with "Les" Grantham in it. I fear I can't say one way or the other.

Both.

The Doct... sorry, Captain Jack.

Ianto. His nutting of the cannibal last week was almost enough to redeem him but I fear even afther that I still can't show him some f***ing mercy.

Ghost Machine by a country(cide) mile.

Small Worlds! I'm still surprised by how many people rate it so highly.

Captain Jack, Gwen's running, the swearing, the sex, the premise, and the promise - it's just not quite consistently followed through on either. Yet.

I've been able to apply my critical faculties to it - which I think makes it inferior because I've watched all the new Who in a state of excited awe and been quite unable to decry even the likes of New Earth for at least a month or so. It's not been as scary as The Empty Child, nor as moving as Doomsday, and when it's been crap - like Small Worlds - it's been atrocious. But when it's been good - Ghost Machine and most of Countrycide, for example - it's been brilliant.

Yes

N/A

Of course. I watch everything/anything!!

It will never establish its own identity until RTD and Chinball are removed from production and they start making it outside bloody Wales.

A toss-up between Rhys and Captain Jack. He's so cool. SQUEEEEEEEEE!!!! I rub myself!!

Captain Jack. He's a plastic smug-faced ****. Dodgy wig and way too much Botox... already!!

The one with whatshername from thingy

The one written by the old man who lost it years ago. Anything by that hack who was a writer on that International Emmy-winning series.

Its Welshness and its Welshness. It's like Scooby Frikkin Doo written by a fourteen year-old boy. A CBBC show with a few random swear words thrown in by a hack. ALIEN TECHNOLOGY!! Gwen's gappy teeth/piss-poor running technique. Constant sexual references rammed down my throat. OMG!! Owen's a FRIKKIN' DATE RAPIST. The BBC will burn in hell for this!! Burn Gorman's upside down mouth... he looks like a Weevil/gimp hybrid FFS!! ENOUGH WITH THE AERIAL SHOTS ALREADY. It's the same bloody quarter mile area of Cardiff over and bloody over again every frikkin week already whatever bloody blah blah blah. Eve Myles' goldfish impression and gurning in every frikkin' episode!! It's campness. Captain Jack's smug "you gotta be ready!" voiceover every bloody week. GET RID!! That BBC Three DOG. FFS!! The TORCHWOOD logo on everything!! ALIEN TECHNOLOGY!! Ripping off Buffy every week. That Asian bird is crap and that Gethin guy from Blue Peter is a big soppy p*ssy. Gwen is too fat for US TV. Chinball's punchable Steve Wright face and the constant smugness from Gardner and RTD!! Why is he on every bloody episode of De-Classified?? ALIEN TECHNOLOGY!! ALL OF THESE THINGS DESTROY EVERYTHING FOR ME. I want to w*nk worship US TV forever and suck Joss Whedon's c*ck until I die!!!

Doctor Who sucks and Torchwood stinks. It's a complete dog and ain't no BSG, Lost ,Veronica Mars, etc, etc, etc....... w*nksssssssssssssszzzzzzz.
    Last edited by Milky Tears; 28th Nov 2006 at 2:09 AM. Reason: I nabbed the answer to question 9 from Roobarb's/OG to make it slightly less predictable :p

Yes, you were there

See above

Yes

Yes, Doctor Who isn't mentioned and there is no clue to it in any of the storylines.

Jack and Owen

Tosh, a bit of a whinger

Countrycide

The one with the cyberwoman

funny, got some scary moments and not too much tecno-babble

I can't answer that because they are totally different, they are written with different age groups in mind so you watch it with a different mind set.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Tears View Post
    I want to w*nk worship US TV forever and suck Joss Whedon's c*ck until I die!!!

Okaaay!!!

Yes

Yes - I'll try most sci-fi, especially Earth based ones.

Yes it has its own identity, and I rarely think of Who - apart from the obvious Cyber references in ep. 4. I didn't even notice the Mara reference someone mentioned above! And does Jack even know that Tosh has met the Doctor-vice-versa?

Owen - I rather like the somewhat dark, dangerous side to him - especially his confrontation with the Gareth Thomas character.

Tosh - has had little to do, at least until last week!

Probably Countrycide by a small margin - loved the fact it had nothing to do with the supernatural/extraterrestrial.

Day One - the sexual elements seemed a bit too OTT.

Best = the variety of styles of stories. Worst = under-development of character of most of the regulars. And the ridculous scheduling of the Declassified programme. Why can't it follow the premiere Sunday night showing (or even the Tuesday night BBC3 one)?

Very difficult to compare the two. For starters, the build-up to each new Who episode since last year has been a real event - DWM previews/articles, much internet discussion, loads of Radio Times coverage. Torchwood just suddenly appears on a Sunday night with none of the above, and fortunately each episode has been able to avoid spoilers and indeed a lot of hype, leaving us free to make our own minds up about it. As others have said, I appreciate its darker, grimmer tone and a bit of violence and gore, but Doctor Who has always been, and always will be (hopefully) something a bit magical.

Yes

Probably, though I might have missed the odd episode if it wasn't for the Who connections.

I think it has, though the sometimes mishandled adult-ness of the show jars a little.

Jack

I actually quite like Ianto in Cyberwoman (I know, I know, I must be the only person in the universe), but because he's basically done nothing else in any of the other episodes, it has to be him.

Greeks Bearing Gifts - Sorry, but Daniela Denby-Ashe was just lovely in it, and it made me finally start caring for the other characters (well, Owen, and Tosh perhaps obviously), when before I'd little time for them. Countrycide comes a very close second though.

Small Worlds - Even though I did like aspects of it, the episode just seemed to drag and I remember looking at the clock about half way through and not believing I still had about 20 minutes left to watch.

The best aspect is the mystery over Jack and how he can't die, how sometimes it can be genuinely funny and that it had one scene in it where a cyberwoman fought a pterdactyl (which I loved!). The worst things about it is the adult tone, I think it should either go up a level and be really adult (aka most HBO shows) or just be normal, not insert dubious swearing and hints of rudeness without actually having any nudity! . Erm, I've just re-read that and it says single things. Ah well, too late now!

It's worse in general. Who at it's best (Girlfriend In The Fireplace, Impossible Planet, loads from S.1) has been fantastic and just got me excited about brit sci-fi tv again, but this is just mostly fun but never that outstanding, I can't see myself ever rewatching any episodes (bar the Daniella Denby-Ashe one!) again in the future, or buying the dvd boxset.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Torchwood should be the best thing ever, but it's just not exciting me that much. Maybe when they get over having to be so 'adult'.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

terrycooper Guest

YES

All of em so far...I'm even in Episode 1!

I doubt it. It's not that good.

It does have its own identity, but it needs to be a little more 'grown up', by that I mean LESS sex and pointless profanity, more complexity.

Jack, obviously. Although he needs a little more humour as he displays in Who.

Owen. Totally unlikeable.

They Keep Killing Suzie.

Day One.

Best single thing: has potential to be a british X - Files with action.
    Worst single thing: Characters that just aren't likeable. Who cares if they die?

Worse. Doctor Who is going from strength to strength.

Yes indeedy

See above

Yes I would

It is its own series

Jack

Ianto

Captain Jack Harkness

Day One

Best - Gritty and grown up!
    Worst - Swearing for the sake of swearing!

It's not as good as DW, but then, what is?
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

I've seen a few episodes of the first season and the show doesn't seem as bad as a lot of people say it is. I saw the episode with the fayries, the thingy that shows the team glimpses in times past with the lost boy and murdered woman, Random Shoes, and Out of Time and they're rather good I thought. Even the one with the Cyberwoman wasn't....okay, maybe it was a little....*squirm*

Anywho, I like Torchwood, I've got to see the rest, obviously, before the 26th

Yes, it'll make a lot more sense to see the rest of the episodes - particularly at the end of the episode when they all die of that strange mutated donkey virus...

Oops did I give away the ending?
    Geoff