Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Pip Madeley Guest

Have you been drinking?

New extras and 5.1 surround? I don't give a monkey's! I mean c'mon! Is it worth getting riled over an alternative sound mix?! I mean how geeky is that?!

***DWM Spoiler***

***DWM Spoiler***

***DWM Spoiler***

The Davros Box Set

Main Features:

Previously released versions of Genesis, Resurrection, Revelation, plus all new release of Destiny and Special Edition of Remembrance of the Daleks.

Bonus Disc:

All seven Davros audio plays from Big Finish
    Davros, The Juggernauts, Terror Firma, the I Davros series and exclusive new drama The Davros Mission.
    Plus I Davros making of documentary
    and Davros Connections - 45 minute documentary.

Destiny Extras:

Commentary with Lalla Ward, David Gooderson, and Ken Grieve
    Terror Nation - 30 minute documentary on Terry Nation
    Directing Who - With Ken Grieve
    CGI Effects
    Original Continuity trails and photo gallery
    Prime computer adverts
    Coming soon trailer
    Easter Egg
    Radio Times listings

Remembrance Extras:

Commentary with Sylvester McCoy and Sophie Aldred
    Back To School - A new 30 minute documentary on the making of the story
    Remembrances - 15 minute feature on the story's references to other Doctor Who stories.
    Extended and Deleted scenes - newly introduced by Sylvester and Sophie.
    Outtakes
    Multi-angle sequences
    Original continuity trails and photo gallery
    Isolated music
    Easter egg
    Radio Times listings
    Subtitle production notes.

Still one disc unaccounted for....?
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

That is a good set. It's especially good value for anyone who doesn't own the BF stuff, as there's some great stories in there. The Remembrance set is better, and Destiny looks good too.
    But unless it comes down in price very steeply, I suspect I won't buy it. There just isn't enough there for me to consider buying all those stories again.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

It's certainly an impressive set, but I can't help but think that anybody avid enough to collect it would already have collected all the stuff in it! But it's, I think, to be applauded that they had the idea of putting the BF stuff in there with the TV stories - and speaking personally I'm just pleased to hear that Destiny (the best Dalek story ever) is coming out as a separate release too.

Dear Santa...

The Lalla commentary is a very good thing.

Si xx

I'm still a little dissapointed in 2Entertain over this release. I know they are a business and so on, but in the past there's always been a way for both parties (buyer and purchaser) to win - they've happily repackaged things for the new market but we've not been ripped off because we've had the opportunity to buy them already. But I don't like the way they are attempting to shoehorn something new - anything new - and desirable into a Ł100 box set containing a whole hatful of stories we own already. That's making something good unavailable without buying about 5 stories you already own. And that's wrong. Well, not wrong, but UNCHARITABLE to a 10+ year loyal buyer to the range.

However, it's not so bad for me because I already have "Davros" and I guess I can live without the new "Remembrance" stuff. The original disc was hardly a disgrace.

Yet I don't like the fact that I can't own the new Davros play, or the "Remembrance" documentary, without spending Ł100 and buying loads of other stories again. However small, that to me is a kick in the face after all these years.

Si.

It is entirely possible that Remembrance will get a re-release and knowing BF, I'm pretty sure the Davros play will get a release sometime- look at the subscriber only stories, Shada etc...

Si xx

Mmmm. That's possible, but as yet unconfirmed. And IF they do, why not tell us now? The suggestion seems to be that they're trying to get people to buy the things in this set, the most expensive Doctor Who box set ever released, because they won't be able to get them anywhere else. I just think that's a bit bad.

Si.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    I suspect I won't buy it. There just isn't enough there for me to consider buying all those stories again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    However, it's not so bad for me because I already have "Davros" and I guess I can live without the new "Remembrance" stuff.

Yet I don't like the fact that I can't own the new Davros play, or the "Remembrance" documentary, without spending Ł100 and buying loads of other stories again.
    That pretty much says it all for me. I won't be buying it.

Pip Madeley Guest

Me too, I'll be buying the Destiny DVD separately and I'll (hopefully) be able to rent the Remembrance disc just for curiosity's sake.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Me too, I'll be buying the Destiny DVD separately.
    Ditto.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    I'll (hopefully) be able to rent the Remembrance disc just for curiosity's sake.
    Fingers crossed.

I'm so disgusted I'm now going to post/moan exclusively on Roobarb's for the rest of the year.

You've got to love how David Brunt calls them "Bit Fannish". He's a Comedy Legend (is he Welsh?) and almost as funny as Matt West!

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Yet I don't like the fact that I can't own the new Davros play, or the "Remembrance" documentary, without spending Ł100 and buying loads of other stories again. However small, that to me is a kick in the face after all these years.

Si.

I suspect that's the feeling of a lot of fans , for me this box box set is the worst kind of cynical exploitation by 2/entertain..I certainly would never even consider buying it and will only be getting the stand aloan Destiny release.

It doesn't answer the most important question, how will 'Destiny' be packaged within the boxset? Am I going to have to buy the boxset, AND the standalone to make my shelf match?
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Captain Tancredi Guest

Like many, I'm struggling to see the target market for this set (but then I don't like 1980s Dalek stories as a rule anyway). If it's confirmed that the Remembrance SE will subsequently replace the standard edition in the range then that's all I'd be interested in, frankly.

http://www.purpleville.pwp.blueyonde...vrosBoxset.htm

One other nettle which had to be grasped where this story is concerned was the tricky issue of the source music used in two scenes in the cafe, both by The Beatles. In part one, "Do You Wanna Know a Secret" was heard, while in part three we had "A Taste of Honey". When this story was first released on DVD, neither of these tracks could be cleared for release so were replaced with library tracks. For this new release, however, we understand that new "blanket licensing" deals in the UK mean that the tracks can now be included, so the episodes were remastered as transmitted.
    I might have to buy it right now.

Pip Madeley Guest

Nice one James. So, the full line-up of extras for the 'Remembrance of the Daleks' disc is thus:

Dolby Digital 5.1 re-mix by Mark Ayres.

The original commentary with actors Sylvester McCoy and Sophie Aldred from 2000 is re-used.

Back to School (dur. 32' 38") - cast and crew talk about the making of the story accompanied by rare behind-the-scenes material. With actors Sylvester McCoy, Sophie Aldred, Simon Williams and Karen Gledhill, writer Ben Aaronovitch, script editor Andrew Cartmel, director Andrew Morgan and journalists Moray Laing and Paul Lang.

Remembrances (dur. 15' 14") - cast and crew talk about the influences and references to other Doctor Who adventures that are spread throughout the story.

The original Extended and Deleted Scenes package (dur. 12' 24") has been supplemented by brand-new introductions to each scene from Sylvester McCoy and Sophie Aldred.

Outtakes (dur. 4' 12") - bloopers and gaffs from the recording of the story.

Multi-Angle Sequences (dur. 1' 03" and 0' 47") - allows the viewer to watch Ace's escape from the Chemistry lab and the Daleks blowing up the large gates from one of two camera angles. Via a menu, the viewer should be allowed to choose which angle of each scene to start on, but should be free to use the 'Angle' button on their remote to change the view at will during play. This is a feature that was never implemented as intended on the 2000 release.

Trails and Continuity (dur. 4' 58") - BBC1 trails and continuity announcements from the story's transmission, in this extended package.

Photo Gallery (dur. 8' 36") - production, design and publicity photos from the story, heavily expanded and packaged into our now standard video sequence format.

Isolated Music - gives the viewer the option to watch the story with the clean music track.

Radio Times Listings in Adobe PDF format for viewing on PC or Mac. Programme subtitles. Subtitle Production Notes.
    And Steve Roberts confirms it won't get a standalone release any time in the near future:

Initially, the re-worked version of 'Remembrance' will only be available to buy as part of the Davros Boxset, but is likely to be released on its own at a later date. Although this may seem slightly churlish, it should be remembered that the funds for this new version came entirely from the boxset budget and so it is only fair that the boxset should get the benefit.

Apparently "Destiny" will also be released as a standalone in November.

Si.

Wayne Guest

That Si Hunt catches on quick.

Pip Madeley Guest

Davros box set:

Lovely design.

That looks veeeeery nice I think

I probably will end up getting this, as I havent got any of the Big Finish stuff and I'd like to see the extra documentary.

The Big Finish CD's are very good, Martin.

It looks lovely. But then, it should do for a hundred nicker.

Si.

I may end up getting this, but I'm definitely waiting until that price drops. New year probably.

Wayne Guest

Just 'coz she wears frilly knickers, i know she won't deliver the goods for me.