Default The New Who You Love, The New Who You Hate

Just like Mr.Curnow's thread on the old series, tell us your favourite and least favourite STORIES of the new series!

We better stick to Doctor Who here, otherwise it'll get confusulating. And we better do the two parters as one story as well.

My top story of The New Series is probably still Dalek. For the sheer joy of seeing it's mid-section turn for the very first time and the emotional content of the script, when it could easily have just been a run-around.

My least favourite is The Girl In The Fireplace. It's dull and silly, although it looks splendid. Stephen Moffat was too self-indulgent in my opinion and I just don't get why the Doctor fell for the French Aristocrat, Reinette. Apart from them being together in real life and her having an enormous bosom.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

My favourite so far has got to be Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel - it's just brilliant. So loaded with tension. The only flaw in it is the fact that the fix for the TARDIS is revealed right at the beginning. I still don't think that new Who has come up with a better cliffhanger than the end of Rise of the Cybermen.

As for the worst - I'd say The Idiot's Lantern. I expected so much better from Mark Gatiss. He's shown his ability in The League of Gentlemen, and The Versuvius Club. Yet, both his Who episodes haven't been that brilliant, The Unquiet Dead was passable (yet I found myself constantly checking the time the first time I watched it), but The Idiot's Lantern is just dull, dull, dull. Were the faceless people meant to be threatening? The Wire was a poor villain, the father of the family was just ridiculously OTT (I AM TALKINGAH!). Really, I'd hoped for better

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Top for me has to be Empty Child/TDD - I loved the Blitz setting, the wonderful CGI of the night time sky when Rose was hanging on the rope, Are You My Mummy? giving us a wonderful and memorable catchphrase, so many downright creepy scenes with the gasmasked child, Richard Wilson, the wonderful Nancy, the fantastic resolution to the cliffhanger, Captain Jack. And I'm sure plenty else!

Least favourite is The Long Game - it all seemed a bit dull and drab and inconsequential to me, though it's not without its good points - mainly Simon Pegg and the novel idea of a shortlived companion being dumped by the Doctor for being crap!

I think it's all most impossible for me to chose an all round favourite of the new seies because there are so many. especialy from series 1 bur from series 2 my favorite has to be School Reunion.

As a kid I grew up watching Sarah Jane, she was my first and all ways has been my favourite companion. The moment where she turns round to see The Doctor, standing behind her and that wonderfull "Goodbye My Sarah Jane" ending just brought a lump to the throat..

Least favourite is The Long Game, Just don't like it because of Adam, for me he is just an Adric clone a whinning brat that you just want to smack in the face..

My best episodes have been Girl in the Fireplace, Fathers Day and Empty Child/Doctor Dances.

The worst ones are still Boom Town, Aliens of London/World War III and Rose

I think I would all so add Love and Monsters to that list I know it was some thing different but I just did not like it and it's the only story from the new series i've not seen more than once.

Love and Monsters is a story I have a soft spot for. I thought it was a great episode to attempt, and for me it was effective way of diversifying the format. I wouldn't want too many stories like it though.

My favourite is still AOL/WW3 - objectively, no, it's probably not the best story (although I would still say there's an awful lot to recommend it) but I just remember enjoying it so much first time round, and perhaps more to the point, we ALL enjoyed it. I told Little Miss after WW3 that it was as good as it was in the good old days, and I stand by it.

Least favourite is another easy choice, and it's "New Earth" by a long mile - within ten minutes I found myself watching the clock. It felt so tremendously derivative, like a 'best of...' from season 1 (not just Cassandra and Boe, but the 'everybody lives' business, even the bloomin' incidental music) and it also seemed to be rather casually flung together. The Doctor and Rose getting separated had no real energy to it, and I just, frankly, hated it. Sorry.

My favourite is still probably Dalek, which I just think is superbly written, features a brilliant performance by Eccleston, and has all those amazing Dalek bits! And I really enjoy Doomsday, it's not really the best written story, but it's just fun to watch.

My least favourite is probably The Idiots Lantern , I like Mark Gatiss, but I didn't really enjoy this one at all. I felt embarassed to be watching it with my family, every time The Wire was on screen I cringed.

Aw - I love the Wire! She was gorgeously OTT. "I will CONSUME you, DOCTOR!!!" is one of my fave lines of the series!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

The best has to be Girl in the Fireplace. Moffat is such a master of plotting and the story is beautifully written. Fathers day is probably second. But i found series 2 to be a HUGE improvement on series 1, which was dissapointing for the mostpart,

Worst- End of the World, Aliens of London, World War 3, Rose, The Long Game. They were dire and embarassing to watch. Childish and rather insulting to put on such rubbish for the viewers. The show has moved in leaps and bounds since them, and upped its game a lot. RTD has made huge improvements in his sci-fi writing and has moved away from set pieces and dialogue to actually writings plots. It all suggest that series 3 will be a hufe improvement.

transvamp Guest

Best- Bad Wolf/Parting of the Ways

Worst- Love & Monsters

My favourite story is probably "School Reunion", "Tooth and Claw" or "Doomsday" - I'll go for "School Reunion" for the Sladen factor, the lovely closing scene, and K9. I think the second series was more variable in quality than the first, but when it was good it really hit its stride.

Worst would be "The Christmas Invasion" - no plot whatsoever, Star Trek monsters and a bit of a dissapointment really.

Si.

The best for me is unashamedly Bad Wolf / The Parting of the Ways and Army of Ghosts / Doomsday, though in both cases I do slightly prefer the opening episode.

The worst has to be Fear Her, by far. Just dull.

Best- The Parting of the Ways
    Worst- The Unquiet Dead

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

Best : Empty Child, Fathers Day, Bad Wolf & Dalek

Worst : AOL, Rose, Impossible Planet, Love & Monsters
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Best - maybe Tooth and Claw, School Reunion and Girl in the Fireplace, which just seemed quite an enjoyable blend overall.

Worst - End of the Word, the Aliens of London two parter, and possibly Long Game and Love & Monsters, none of which quite clicked for me.

Best, Dalek, for making one Dalek a devastating force, which they needed after years of second-fiddling for Davros.

Worst, Bad Wolf, which apart from setting up the location for Bad Wolf and TPOTW, was an inconsequetial episode.