Thread: Led Zeppelin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Led Zeppelin

COMING SOON....

ROCK gods LED ZEPPELIN are back. The legends are releasing Mothership, a double CD of classic tracks plus some previously unheard material.

Nearly 40 years since the band were formed, surviving members JIMMY PAGE, ROBERT PLANT and JOHN PAUL JONES have selected 24 remastered studio tracks from Led Zeps eight classic studio albums.

Mothership, out on November 14, features landmark songs including Whole Lotta Love, Kashmir, Rock And Roll, Dazed And Confused and Stairway To Heaven.

If youre not too rocked out, on November 19 a remastered version of film soundtrack The Song Remains The Same will be reissued, including six songs that were not on the original release. Rock on.
    Unreleased tracks? I can't wait!!!

Wayne Guest

Perhaps Page & Plant fancy a new house or two?

Re-mastered tracks aren't much of an incentive to me. Whether i buy it or not depends on exactly what the unreleased material is.
    If youre not too rocked out, on November 19 a remastered version of film soundtrack The Song Remains The Same will be reissued, including six songs that were not on the original release. Rock on.
    But i will be buying this! Especially if it's got 'Since I've Been Loving You' & 'Black Dog' from the film on it.

I've heard rumblings of them reforming again, recently. I hope they never do. I'd sooner people remember 'em for what they were. Plant & Page just can't recreate music of such a standard as Led Zep in their prime.
    Any old fool can trot out Rolling Stones guff, but not even Led Zep can do Led Zep at their age.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Any old fool can trot out Rolling Stones guff, but not even Led Zep can do Led Zep at their age.
    Although the Black Crows gave it a pretty good try several years back, when they teamed up with Jimmy Page. Live At The Greek was a cracker of an album, imo!

Wayne Guest

I've never heard it. I'm basing what i said more on the Page & Plant stuff from a few years ago, when they did several tv performances including Jools Holland. But to be honest, i'd be more worried about Plant than Page. He just can't cut it with the Zep stuff anymore. He had to sing everything differently because can't get the notes. It's hardly surprising really considering how he used to sing back in the day!

I'm surprised you've never heard this, Wayne. It's an excellent album. Chris Robinson (or was it his brother?) made a better job of the vocals than Plant could have at the time. The album is a mix of Zep classics and classic blues stuff (Shake Your Moneymaker, Oh Well etc) done Zep-style. Classic stuff, highly recommended!

Wayne Guest

I have heard of it, but i just haven't actually heard it. I suppose i lost interest in all the post Led Zep dabblings of it's ex-members, when my musical focus changed to Jazz. I've caught stuff on tv, but never bought an album since Jimmy Page's 'Outrider'.

I've gone right off Jimmy Page since I clocked the state of him outside Glasgow Sheriff Court the other day:

Star Page witness in bootleg case

Looks like the old biddy on the corner.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Tears View Post
    I've gone right off Jimmy Page since I clocked the state of him outside Glasgow Sheriff Court the other day:

Looks like the old biddy on the corner.

Mama might be interested, her fave track is, I believe, Black Dog.

The DVD of the film is a tad cheap cheapo and could do with a clean-up and some extras.

What's wrong with the Remasters CD with the corn circles on the cover? Oh yeah, it doesn't have Dancing Days on it... or What Is And What Should Never Be. As long as it doesn't have How Many More Times on it, we should be in business. And what's wrong with the studio version of Black Dog?

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MacNimon View Post
    Although the Black Crows gave it a pretty good try several years back, when they teamed up with Jimmy Page. Live At The Greek was a cracker of an album, imo!
    Just listening to this. It's pretty reasonable, actually.

The "Led Zeppelin set to reform" rumours have been all over the place in the last few days:

Led Zeppelin set to re-form for O2 gig

Led Zeppelin set to reform

Press Conference on Wednesday, according to Billboard:

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/..._id=1003637012

Quote Originally Posted by Billboard.com
    Led Zeppelin Announcement Expected Next Week
    September 07, 2007, 3:35 PM ET
    Ray Waddell, Nashville

Talk of a Led Zeppelin reunion just refuses to go away.

Billboard reported in July that the band may get together for a proposed tribute to the late producer/record mogul Ahmet Ertegun at the O2 in London in November,

Now on Ledzeppelin.com the date 11.13.07 mysteriously appears with the familiar Zep symbols. And several people saw the band touring the O2 during Prince's recent stand at the new 20,000-seat London venue. A press conference next Wednesday (Sept. 12) in London may clear everything up.

There has been talk that tour producers AEG Live and Michael Cohl's CPI (Rolling Stones, Genesis, Barbra Streisand) have put in offers on a Zep tour featuring founding members Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones with late drummer John Bonham's son Jason on drums. But it is also well known in the industry that standing offers have been on the table for a Led Zeppelin tour for more than a decade.

Nov. 13 also has another significance: it's the release date of a new Atlantic/Rhino two-disc, 24-track best-of set, "Mothership." Additionally, a deluxe reissue of the soundtrack to the 1976 concert film "The Song Remains the Same" with previously unreleased material and a new DVD edition of that movie will arrive Nov. 20 via Atlantic/Rhino and Warner Home Video, respectively.

What about all these rumours doing the rounds this weekend about a reunion gig in London in November? I saw an advert in a newspaper yesterday offering tickets for a gig on 26th November. Apparently there's going to be an announcement on Wednesday, but chances are the announcement concerns the 'new' album due out this month.

I looked at that Led Zep homepage, all it consists of is the date (in the U.S. style) 11.13.07 and the symbols...so I guess that refers to the cd release. But rumours of the reunion gig persist, although other rumours of gigs in New York and Paris (I think!) have been denied. What makes me wonder if this could be on the cards for once is the fact that this company is offering tickets for a specific date (26/11/07) which I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere. Maybe that's just speculation as well, though...

Not that it matters...there's practically no chance of getting a ticket when/if they go on sale. They'll be like gold dust!

Dave Lewis Guest

Looks like it's all true, then...

Led Zeppelin to confirm reunion

Led Zeppelin have sold more than 100 million albums in the US alone
    Rock group Led Zeppelin are expected to announce a one-off reunion concert at a press conference on Wednesday.
    Singer Robert Plant, guitarist Jimmy Page and bassist John Paul Jones, split after drummer John Bonham died in 1980.

The trio, who have not performed live for 19 years, are expected to be joined by Bonham's son Jason for the reunion.

Led Zeppelin's pioneering heavy rock made them one of the most popular bands of all time. The show is due to take place at London's O2 arena.

Promoter Harvey Goldsmith will make the announcement at the 20,000-capacity venue, formerly known as the Millennium Dome.

The news is likely to spark a huge rush for tickets as devoted fans around the world scramble to get into what could be the band's last show.

The concert is expected to coincide with the release of a new two-CD best of compilation, Mothership, on 13 November.

Fans have been excitedly discussing the show on message boards - but many are concerned about how difficult it will be to get a ticket, and how much they will have to pay.

"Who wants to join me sleeping outside the O2 until I can get a ticket?" wrote one.

"And if that doesn't work, I can also sell myself into slavery, or if all of me is not wanted, I will auction off my blood, organs and all worldly possessions. Think I'm kidding?"

Another wrote: "Anybody got three grand to spare for a ticket? I bet that's what the going rate will be. Touts will have a field day with this one."

And another comment said: "If it's a one-off it'll be a rip-off. The tickets will be silly money to start with and the sharks will make a killing.

"It will be hard for them to perform anywhere near their old levels, and I fear there will be a whole lotta disappointment!"

Uncut magazine writer Chris Roberts told BBC Radio Five Live: "A younger generation - as well as the people who might remember Led Zeppelin from the first time around - are very excited about this.

"Reunion tours are big at the moment - The Police, Genesis, etc - but this is the one most people really didn't think would happen.

"They're pretty much the Picasso of heavy rock. Led Zeppelin's albums have certainly lasted the test of time and they're pretty much the template of heavy rock at its best."

With their pounding, blues-influenced anthems and explosive stadium shows, the band paved the way for artists across the worlds of heavy metal and alternative rock.

Their best-known songs include Stairway to Heaven, Whole Lotta Love, Rock and Roll, Kashmir and Communication Breakdown - although they never released singles.

They are one of only four acts to have sold more than 100 million albums in the US - the others being The Beatles, Elvis Presley and Garth Brooks.

Led Zeppelin's last full concert was in Berlin in July 1980 - two months before John Bonham died.

Page, Plant and Jones performed at Live Aid five years later, and also get back together at a concert to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Atlantic Records in 1988.

But a rift opened between Jones and the other two band members opened after Page and Plant started working together without him in the 1990s.

Rumours of a reconciliation surfaced several years ago, leading to speculation about a reunion.

Their return follows comebacks by a number of other rock and pop legends, such as The Police, Genesis, the Spice Girls, Crowded House and Take That.

I knew it would probably be true once it appeared on Billboard.

I expect Wayne will get his ticket from eBay.

They're pretty much the Picasso of heavy rock.
    That's pretty much the Da Vinci of stupid comments.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Does that make McFly the Neil Buchanan of tweenie pop rock?

More importantly, where does it leave Rolf Harris?

Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

What about the poo?

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

And popcorn.

Hold the front page!

Led Zeppelin confirm reunion gig (afternoon update)

Led Zeppelin to Play Ahmet Ertegun Tribute Concert on November 26 in London

Foreigner (along with Paulo Nutella, Townsend and Wyman) will be playing as well.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Tears View Post

I expect Wayne will get his ticket from eBay.
    You obviously havn't read my earlier posts.
    Call me a cynic, but i'm sure loads of people will get caught up in the myth & magic of the event, & will think it's great just because it's Led Zeppelin, but personally i wouldn't waste my money.

Demand for Led Zeppelin's one-off reunion gig has crashed the gig's official website.

Led Zeppelin are set to play the 02 Arena in London on November 26.

The show is a tribute event for Atlantic Records founder Ahmet Ertegun.

The ballot to get one of the 18,000 tickets, priced at £125 each, opened at 4pm but Ahmettribute.com crashed within minutes.

Promoter Harvey Goldsmith, who is putting on the event, said there was demand from as far afield as Japan, Australia and the United States. He predicted that the gig would cause the "largest demand for one show in history".

The £125 tickets are limited to two per person and will be distributed by ballot only.

Those wishing to go to the show must register on Ahmettribute.com to be in the ballot.

Registration closes on Monday (September 17), while any tickets that appear on online auction sites afterwards will be immediately cancelled.
    I might put my name up for it. Especially if it's going to be 'ballot'. Presumably that means random, rather than having a panel of judges voting on whether you should get a ticket.

They couldn't afford to be rubbish after all this build up, but I've no doubt they'll try.

Besides, it's just wrong seeing Led Zeppelin at the O2 Centre in 2007.

I'm thinking of putting my name down, too. It's tempting... but, I don't know, paying £125 to see three-quarters of a once-great band, whose individual members haven't exactly covered themselves in glory since they split up 27 years ago... it just doesn't seem right.

And let's not forget, it's not even a full Led Zeppelin gig - are the other acts appearing really worth all that money, too?