Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default DWM in the 90s - #207 added 24/6 - 30th Anniversary Special Issue!

Almost 3 years ago when we were on EZboard I decided to start a thread looking back at the early days of DWM - specifically to focus on news items and reviews, and looking out for well known letter writers. Having started at issue 44 (the first monthly), we got up to issue 197 earlier this month (the intention was to relaunch here with issue 200 but time was not on my side!).

It's not compulsory to have read the issue in question to contribute to this thread BTW - any comments on any of the matters raised, whether it's a review, a news item or memories of a TV programme/chart topper mentioned, are gratefully received! The item, along with a summary of contributions to this thread, is then given a polish and, with some choice scans from the relevant issue, put up on The Vervoid shortly after.

Coming this weekend - issue 198!

Well now we've sorted our DWM's into release order, maybe I might make some contributions to this! Did 198 have Sontarans on the front?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

It had Troughton on the front cover didn't it? I thought this was the Prison in Space issue.

Paul is correct. The Sontaran cover was 195 - still to come (fairly soonish) on The Vervoid.

Default Dwm 198

The Basics - Issue 198, 14 April 1993. The front cover has a photo of the Second Doctor from The Two Doctors. There is a free poster inside of Pete Wallbank's artwork of Enlightenment previously used as the front cover to issue 186.

Indicia - "But Doctor, the Rani is evil, horrible and a thoroughly bad sort! How could you possibly confuse us?" asked Mel anxiously. The Doctor opened his mouth to reply - and then realised that any reply he gave would put him further into hot water!

News And Views - UK Gold are continuing to show the Jon Pertwee adventures, but only in the Sunday morning omnibus slot for the moment. The BBC Audio Collection have temporarily shelved any future releases of the Missing Stories due to poor quality of the soundtracks.

New Fiction - The Brief Encounter "Three Steps to the Left" is set in the Australian Outback and features the Seventh Doctor. This issue's Prelude covers Deceit.

Reviews - Off The Shelf reviews Image of the Fendahl ("a fairly watchable and enjoyable romp") and Deceit ("coherent, entertaining, pleasantly easy to follow").

Boxpops - Parts Three and Four of Revelation of the Daleks (in a four part version) are repeated on BBC2 on Friday 2 and 9 April at 7.15pm. Parts One and Two of Battlefield are repeated on BBC2 on Friday 23 and 30 April at 7.20pm and 7.10pm respectively.

Top of the pop charts throughout April 93 was Young At Heart by The Bluebells.

I remember enjoying the Prison in Space featurette. I've always had a soft spot for the 'stories that never were'.

I'm not sure I'd agree with the review of Deceit though. I found the novel to be extremely boring.

I too enjoyed the feature on "The Prison in Space", although it's probably just as well they ditched it before it went before the cameras! Interesting comment about the audio releases being stopped due to sound-quality; it's certainly true that Mark Ayres works wonders on tidying up the sometimes ropey originals, with the result that we've not got soundtracks of every missing episode in clear quality.

Sad to see the news about Tip Tipping in the editorial box - I remember that, very tragic.

And, Jonno, how could you omit to mention the main feature of the whole issue, the archive, covering a story I know we both love dearly, "Time and the Rani"!

I can't place this issue Brief Encounter, but that was one of the features I generally enjoyed.

It's an atypical Brief Encounter, in as much as there's no returning enemy or companion, just an all new situation which makes for quite a refreshing change!

And Andrew re TATR - as you know, my aim is to concentrate on the worthy items in each issue! Actually, is this the earliest issue in your collection now? Is that because of the Archive?!

It's an atypical Brief Encounter, in as much as there's no returning enemy or companion, just an all new situation which makes for quite a refreshing change!
    I loved the Brief Encounter with Duggan in it, can't remember what issue it was in though.

News And Views - UK Gold are continuing to show the Jon Pertwee adventures, but only in the Sunday morning omnibus slot for the moment.
    Ah! Some things never change!
    The Enlightenment art was nice, but nothing special. The video cover was probably better.
    Collectors Corner! Was there ever a more amusing feature in DWM? The Insurance Claim for the Mechanoid city was fabulous.
    The Prison In Space feature left me wondering what 'In Drag' meant at the time. I thought that Zoe and the Doctor might have spent the story dragging an unconcious Jamie around.
    It's a very strong issue from a good period of the magazine. And a Richard Gauntlett interview - surely DWM's ultimate scoop?! He played Dick in the Secret Garden you know.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

is this the earliest issue in your collection now? Is that because of the Archive?!
    Not quite - #197 was the earliest one I could find in t'cupboard.

The Basics - Issue 199, 12 May 1993. The front cover has a photo of the Master from Terror of the Autons, which is the main focus of a feature inside on its recolourising for the newly released video. There is a free poster inside of the front artwork used for the Mark of Mandragora graphic novel.

Indicia - "The Myrka! Our salvation! The most terrifying creature that ever walked this planet. It is approaching. The apes haven't a hope!" breathed Icthar in awe. It arrived. No one was awed. Not long after, the Myrka, the Silurians and Sea Devils were all dead. Some salvation.

News And Views - From now on, the price of double pack video releases will be reduced to 16.99, beginning with June's release of The Invasion and followed by The Silurians in July. An agreement appears to have been reached to allow Eric Saward to novelise his two 1980s Dalek stories, and it is rumoured that he may also novelise the unused Robert Holmes story set in Singapore that would have formed part of the original 23rd season. The BBC Audio Collection are releasing The Tomb of the Cybermen in June.

New Fiction - The Brief Encounter "Anti-Matter With Fries" features Omega, the Ergon, the Seventh Doctor and Ace. This issue's Prelude is for Lucifer Rising.

Reviews - After Image reviews The Caves of Androzani - "it burns bright as a beacon of startling excellence". Gary Russell's final Off The Shelf reviews Silver Nemesis ("totally insubstantial, totally inconsequential and totally tedious"), Terror of the Autons ("positively glows excellence; one of the highlights of the Seventies"), In Memory Alone ("a very classy production") and Lucifer Rising ("well written and paced; an evocative science fiction novel").

Boxpops - Parts Three and Four of Battlefield are repeated on BBC2 on Friday 7 and 14 May at 7.20pm.

Top of the pop charts in May 93 were the Five Live EP by George Michael & Queen and All That She Wants by Ace of Bass.

The best bit of the issue is probably the recolourising feature - although I don't rate it all that much now, I remember being really, really excited about the thought of getting Terror of the Autons on video.

Just flicking through reminded me that of course Gary Russell's successor on Shelf Life was Craig Hinton, who died recently. I can't immediately remember what his style of reviewing was like (I like GRussell's self-assessment of "Kroton-bashing" on the back page) so it'll be interesting to re-read them.

The Basics - Issue 200, 9 June 1993. The gatefold cover is artwork of the seven Doctors and the TARDIS by Alister Pearson, which is reproduced inside as a free poster. From this issue, Marcus Hearn is credited as the Assistant Editor. Every page (bar 2 pages of advertising) is in colour, including the comic strip, at no extra cost.

News And Views - The planned one-off video adventure from BBC Enterprises for the 30th anniversary has been officially cancelled. The new radio production however is due to be recorded this month, with a working title of The Paradise of Death, and is due to be transmitted on Radio 5 during August and September. Timelines is dominated by a lengthy letter from Peter Darvill-Evans defending The New Adventures from various criticisms.

Notables - The Indicia takes a break from this issue. With regular features Matrix Data Bank, Off The Shelf and Prelude absent this issue, all the features relate to David Whitaker.

Boxpops - Top of the pop charts in June 93 were the continuing Ace of Bass, (I Can't Help) Falling In Love With You by UB40 and Dreams by Gabrielle.

This was obviously a very special issue at an exciting time, and the poster adorned my walls for many years afterwards. However, I can recall all the dull historian stuff about David Whitaker being very tedious and uninteresting. I never liked Hearns articles digging up dusty documents and paperwork. It seemed very remote from the series itself.

Si.

Looking at this issue, and glancing ahead over the next handful, there's a clear change of direction now. Gallifrey Guardian is greatly reduced in length and basically serves as a guide to what merchandise is being released. It looks like the official cancellation of The Dark Dimension made them think that the show would never come back, and they had to concentrate on the past - in greater detail than ever.

I'd forgotten about most of the content of this issue - I don't think I ever read much of it actually. This was a time when I was commuting from Chelmsford to London to work and never had time to read the mag properly!

The cover/ poster was magnificent and it highlights my all time favourite picture of Tom Baker in the middle, grinning his largest, happiest, most toothy grin ever! I had that on my wall for a long time afterwards- I think I took that and its monster counterpart with me to Uni each year.

The issue itself is mostly dull. The Whittaker stuff is worthy but a bit dreary and the story they found wasn't really very inspiring at all, sadly. Nice scoop, but not that brilliant. The "interview" with Whittaker also says very, very little about anything!

Nice controversial letter from Peter Darvill-Evans...

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Alas, rather like Mr Tom Baker Years, I can only regale you with my lack of memories on this one - the cupboard is strangely bare, with issue 201 next in the pile after 199. Where it's gone I don't know - I remember its blue (or was this the purple one?) cover but that's about it!

It was purple. The monsters got the blue.

Si xx

I've probably got that one then, lurking further down the pile. I wonder where 200 is - maybe bruv has somehow acquired it...

I think we have a spare copy, if you'd like one.

Si xx

No, no - it must be around somewhere, but it's now going to niggle me until I find it. Ah well, at least the cupboard'll get tidied out in the process!

The Basics - Issue 201, 7 July 1993. The front cover has a photo from The Mind Robber, whose director David Maloney is interviewed inside. The contents page and Next Issue box are given a new look. The issue includes a new set of free postcards of Alister Pearson artwork from the Titan script book covers.

News And Views - BBC Video have revealed that they had been planning a drama special themselves, with a script having been written. This now seems unlikely to appear, and certainly not in time for this November's celebrations. Negotiations are underway to launch Doctor Who - The Musical on stage during 1994, with six songs already written. It is rumoured that the next two Titan script books will be The Web of Fear and The Pirate Planet. Timelines includes letters from Paul Cornell on the sex and violence debate regarding the New Adventures, and Gary Leigh of DWB congratulating DWM on its 200th issue.

New Fiction - This issue's Prelude is for White Darkness, and includes the Third Doctor and the Brigadier.

Reviews - Craig Hinton takes over from Gary Russell in the reviews section, which is now renamed Shelf Life. He reviews White Darkness ("an enjoyable adventure story"), Shadowmind ("a bit of a letdown"), The Invasion ("highly recommended"), The Keeper of Traken ("a solid story") and Vengeance on Varos ("one of the most appalling Doctor Who stories I have ever seen"). After Image reviews Revelation of the Daleks ("a formidable and striking piece of television").

Boxpops - Top of the pop charts in July 93 were the continuing Dreams and Pray by Take That.

The Basics - Issue 202, 4 Aug 1993. The front cover has a photo of Adric, with Matthew Waterhouse interviewed inside. Further free postcards of Alister Pearson's book cover artwork are included inside.

News And Views - BBC Video have confirmed that the proposed 30th Anniversary video special is now confirmed and official, and it is being suggested that it may be transmitted on BBC1 as well. Its working title is The Dark Dimension, and all five surviving Doctors have been asked to appear. As a result of this, Reeltime's new production Downtime has had its production suspended and put back until 1994. Recording has finished on The Paradise of Death and begins transmission on Radio 5 in August, with a stereo cassette release in September. A novelisation of the story by its writer Barry Letts is being proposed, which would include new material.

New Fiction - This issue's Prelude is for Shadowmind, and includes illustrations by its author, Christopher Bulis.

Reviews - Shelf Life reviews both the Power of the Daleks novelisation ("acceptable, but disappointing") and script book ("a dull experience") and The Silurians ("absolutely magnificent; a taut, exciting story"). After Image reviews Battlefield ("four episodes of colourful adventure, fast pace and good character with a few laughs").

Boxpops - Top of the pop charts in August 93 was the continuing Pray, Living On My Own by Freddie Mercury and Mr Vain by Culture Beat.