Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

6 league games, 6 wins 3 points

Now we just need Bates to drop dead and leave all his money to the club - probably just huge debts
    Bazinga !

Well done to England Women who beat Argentina 6-1 today (god, those Argies must be crap!) to reach the quarter-finals of the World Cup.

The one downside of this tournament is that top defender Rachel Unitt has, strangely, not played yet.

To make up for that fact, here's a picture of the lovely Rachel wearing nothing but a towel:

Just because.

Nice.

Sod England.

I'm hoping to see US goalie Hope Solo breaking English hearts in the quarters.

P.S. The Swedish team are also worth a look, Dave.

Oh yes, Hope Solo is very nice on the eyes. She's also quite good as a goalie.

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Tears View Post
    P.S. The Swedish team are also worth a look, Dave.
    Thanks for the hot tip, James!

(Now if that isn't misconstrued.....)

Hope Solo is certainly very nice - but I've always been rather fond of England's own no. 1 goalie, Rachel Brown:

Rachel Unitt and Rachel Brown - England's (and Everton's) two best looking players ever.

(It's good to see we're discussing the football here, and not just perving at the totty..... )
    Last edited by Dave Tudor; 18th Sep 2007 at 5:26 PM.

I've just got back from watching a good game at The Valley. If we continue to play like that, then promotion is on the cards. Although, it took two penalties for us to win the match as we missed a couple of great chances. 2-0 to Charlton and up to third.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
    I've just got back from watching a good game at The Valley. If we continue to play like that, then promotion is on the cards. Although, it took two penalties for us to win the match as we missed a couple of great chances. 2-0 to Charlton and up to third.
    well after a bit of a dodgy start Charlton, certainly seem to of got it together and sitting nicely in 3rd place for obvious reason I'm glad to see Sheff Utd struggling.

The latest FIFA World Rankings are as funny as usual:

Top 20 Rankings as of September 2007
    Rank Team Points Federation

1 (3) Italy 1488 UEFA
    2 (2) Argentina 1451 CONMEBOL
    3 (1) Brazil 1444 CONMEBOL
    4 (5) Germany 1330 UEFA
    5 (7) Netherlands 1246 UEFA
    6 (4) France 1220 UEFA
    7 (8) Spain 1178 UEFA
    8 (10) Portugal 1169 UEFA
    9 (12) England 1165 UEFA
    10 (6) Croatia 1151 UEFA
    11 (8) Czech Republic 1082 UEFA
    12 (13) Romania 1037 UEFA
    13 (11) Mexico 1026 CONCACAF
    14 (23) Scotland 1025 UEFA
    15 (14) Greece 940 UEFA
    16 (20) Poland 926 UEFA
    17 (15) Ukraine 900 UEFA
    18 (17) USA 897 CONCACAF
    19 (21) Uruguay 889 CONMEBOL
    20 (19) Sweden 888 UEFA
    Whit a load o pish!

Captain Tancredi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post

Rachel Unitt and Rachel Brown - England's (and Everton's) two best looking players ever.
    They've certainly got the edge on Peter Beardsley...

I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Pip Madeley Guest

Shock news:

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has stunned the world of football by leaving Stamford Bridge by mutual consent. The decision comes after the club held a crisis meeting to discuss the indifferent start to the new season.

Mourinho, 44, joined Chelsea in June 2004 and led them to the Premiership title in each of his first two seasons. But his relationship with Blues owner Roman Abramovich grew increasingly troubled and he quit despite having three years left on his contract. The BBC understands former Israel coach Avram Grant, recruited in the summer as director of football, will take over from Mourinho.

MOURINHO'S CHELSEA RECORD

2 June, 2004 - Appointed manager
    27 February, 2005 - Wins Carling Cup 3-2 v Liverpool
    30 April, 2005 - Beat Bolton 2-0 to win Premiership title
    4 May, 2005 - Signs new five-year contract
    29 April, 2006 - Beat Man Utd 3-0 to win Premiership again
    27 February, 2007 - Beat Arsenal 2-1 to win Carling Cup
    19 May, 2007 - Win FA Cup by beating Man Utd 1-0 at Wembley
    19 September, 2007 - Leaves Stamford Bridge
    Just before the Man United game too. I bet Fergie's pleased!

Shock news indeed.

Things must have been really bad between Mourinho and the club to force this to happen. It was often said that Chelsea bought themselves their titles and their numerous cups, and certainly, it was Abramovich's billions which allowed the club to bring in some of the world's top players, but I have no doubt that it was Jose's charisma and skill as a manager which put Chelsea where they are today.

The club have now 'parted company' with two popular managers, firstly (the admittedly less successful) Claudio Ranieri and now Mourinho, and I think the tide will now turn against Roman Abramovich. I have never even heard of Avram Grant, and, although I have no idea what his record as a coach is like, I predict that Chelsea will now suffer.

like every one I'm shocked by Jose's departure but I suppose we should not be supprised as he and abramovich have not been getting on for some time now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor
    On paper, all five British clubs have pretty easy draws in the first round of the UEFA Cup: Everton face the wonderfully-named Mentalist Kharkiv from Ukraine, while Aberdeen's opponents, Dnipro, also hail from the former Soviet state.
    I was going to quote this foolish post a few days ago!

Dinipro are no mugs. They pumped Hibs 5-1 in the UEFA Cup a couple of years ago. It was clear that Aberdeen faced a really difficult tie (they'll probably still go out). Dnipro also humped Metalist Kharkiv 3-0 last Sunday.

The current standard of English league football is way overrated. It's probably always been way overrated.

Spurs won 6-1 against Famagusta, so something for me and Jonno to feel pleased about this season at last. Our UEFA cup journey is up and running.

Hugely disappointing result for Everton against Mentalist the other night. They really should have won, not only because that excellent penalty by Andy Johnson should never had to have been re-taken, thus ensuring a deserved victory, but also because the firepower that Everton had to offer (Johnson, Yakubu, McFadden) should have meant lots of goals. It's now something of a concern that it is a defender who is the club's leading scorer so far (although, in fairness, Joleon Lescott has been magnificent, and remained so on Thursday, alongside Joseph Yobo), when there is over £20 million worth of strikers leading the line. We need to start getting more goals, and more importantly, stop giving away the lead in games.

Mentalist were certainly no pushovers, but I don't think they should have finished the game on equal terms, particularly with only nine man, and also considering that their passing, crossing and shooting were largely awful. However, to now go to Ukraine not only level, but with a vital away goal too, Mentalist may just have the upper hand on Everton, and I fear our European adventure may once again be shortlived.

Elsewhere, Rachel Brown is losing the battle of the goalkeeping babes, as USA are currently beating England 3-0 in the Women's World Cup quarter-final, and it looks like it's all over for our ladies.

That third goal will haunt her for the rest of her life. Shocking keeping.
    Still, England did better than I thought they would. The USA are professionals & all live to play where as our girls have jobs or children to look after.

It's be nice for our girls get a goal, they deserve it.

BBC Scotland have decided to opt out of England v USA and show the shinty Camanachd Cup Final (Fort William v Inveraray) instead!

I'm too lazy to switch to another BBC region/BBCi.

Sadly, it finished 3-0. England did really well to get this far in the tournament, and to hold off a very good US side for so long, but in the end, the best team won.

At least James can now perv over Hope Solo for a little longer.

very dissapointed and frustrated at that result today over all the performance was ok and we played well enough to of got some thing out of the game but we just let our selves down with some awful defending that gifted Newcastle all 3 goals.

Another fine 2-0 win for Charlton at home to a lacklustre Leicester City. We're 2nd now and long may this train stay on its tracks!

next up its a certain Mr Dowie and Coventry City.

Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
    Another fine 2-0 win for Charlton at home to a lacklustre Leicester City. We're 2nd now and long may this train stay on its tracks!

next up its a certain Mr Dowie and Coventry City.
    yep after a bit of a dodgy start Charlton, now seem to of got their season going and with Watford top I'd not be at all supprised if both of them start to move away from the chasing pack.

the 1-0 loss to Arsenal yesterday was not unexpected so I can't say i'm to dissapointed the draw for the 4th round of the carling cup gave us an away tie at Coventry not easy but I think we can win it.

That Portsmouth-Reading game was a bit dull, wasn't it?