Thread: Saxondale

Pip Madeley Guest

Default Saxondale

Good news for fans of the excellent BBC2 comedy starring Steve Coogan as the pest control man with anger issues - it's back for a second series (in 2 weeks time according to Roobarbs), and a DVD of series one will be released!

BBC Shop's listing for the series one DVD (15th October)

Anyone looking forward then? I really enjoyed the first series, for me it was his best work since Partridge.

Trudi G Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Anyone looking forward then? I really enjoyed the first series, for me it was his best work since Partridge.
    I am.

I quite liked it, and some episodes were really good, but sometimes it let me down a little. I spose it's a bit unfair, because I love Partridge so much, but I expected a bit more from Steve Coogan, whereas if it had been a comedy from an unknown actor I'd probably have been more positive about it.

I'm glad it's coming back for a second series though, and I'll definitely tune in and watch it.

BBC Programme Info for episode one appeared on Friday:

CONTAINS PLOT SPOILERS!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pro...aced_saxondale

Should be worth a look.

I liked 'Saxondale' too, and although it was a slow-burner, I thought it was a well-written, well-acted comedy, with loads of nice set-pieces and subtle humour. I'm certainly looking forward to the second series.

I never did see Tommy and Magz at the Shrewsbury Folk Festival, though.

I enjoyed it, it was, as others have said, a bit hit and miss. But on the whole, I thought it was a good show, and I really liked the character.

I'm looking forward to this. It was a great little character comedy, nicely gentle and with loads of subtle touches. I reckon, like others have said, that with Coogan in it you can't help but expect another Partridge but Saxondale was a completely different beast once you got over that.

It was okay, but I do find it bizarre there is a US version in development. It wasn't THAT good, but it was promising.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

I'm guessing the US version of Tommy would be into bands like Journey and Whitesnake.

And Credence.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    It was okay, but I do find it bizarre there is a US version in development. It wasn't THAT good, but it was promising.

Si.
    There's a bizarre thing going on over in the US at the moment, ever since The Office has become a big success they're trying to adapt a whole load of UK shows, and that's why there's a US vs of The IT Crowd coming soon, along with Little Britain, and Footballer's Wives (though apparently that's been axed after one episode).

I read an article that it suggests that tv bosses over there see it as a way to shift the blame if a show fails too, because they can claim 'well, it was a big success in the UK, it's just that US audiences didn't get it', and so it's not their fault that the show wasn't successful.

Oh so cunning, Mr.American Producer!

fftopic are we getting a second series of the IT Crowd then?

/Ontopic: I didn't like Saxondale very much at all. Didn't think it was remotely funny and I didn't connect with the situation or the characters.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Actually we have a very good book listing all the comedies ever made, and US adaptions, and you realise that a hell of a lot of them are "developed" for the US or even made into pilots (even "Red Dwarf" was), it doesn't mean a series will ever emerge. It does seem odd that they try and make American versions of shows whose main characteristic is their Englishness.

I thought Saxondale was okay, but I DO wish he'd do more Partridge.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

are we getting a second series of the IT Crowd then?
    Look for the IT Crowd thread in this very forum!

Trudi G Guest

Default Saxondale

Who watched the first of the new series tonight? I did, and i thought it was just as brilliant as the first one!
    In some ways it reminds me of myself and my friends these days. Back in the 90's, we all went out raving and doing drugs - not getting to clubs until 2am, staying up the whole weekend...now with me being 41, Helen 36 and Barrie 53, we go out to Breakbeat clubs - and these days we all head home about 1am!
    The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak, lol!

Pip Madeley Guest

Hurrah for the return of Saxondale! Liked drunk Tommy knocking the fruit over, nice cameo from Matt Berry too. Loved the poignant moment as Tommy turned down the lights, making you think it was the end for him... then suddenly running out of the door - "last one in the car thinks Genesis were better AFTER Peter Gabriel left" indeed

I bet if Tommy was real he'd have been at Twickers.

Captain Tancredi Guest

I don't think Tommy is a particularly attractive character, but it's a nice idea that he's faithful to himself while everybody else has moved on and become respectable.

And I once had dinner with Morwenna Banks's cousin, but that's another story.