Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default My 3 weeks holiday escape!

Hiya - for anyone thats interested I thought I'd set up a thread to share some of my holiday experiences on the Yosemite and Grand Canyon tour with Explore holidays. The trouble with taking such an enjoyable break though is returning back.... sitting here in the office I feel as if I never left... still talking about my holiday makes it feel more alive rather than something I dreamt. Travel I reckon is definitely life enriching wherever you go, be it at home or abroad - just to experience different cultures, landscapes, cities and ways of life is just so inspiring.... it makes normal life so mundane by comparison. The first thing I noticed about the office is how everyone is conditioned in their roles of work, sure they're there for the purpose of work but I'm reminded how important to get the work/life balance right - many people seem so focussed on the work side - I guess I've been there - no one's there to remind you to wake up and discover life and living!... it's all deep and meaningful but its the way I feel at the moment I guess. Last time I was in the States and returned home, I handed in my notice at work within the week - that won't be happening this time but I feel like I've had a wake up call to grab life!

On a plus point on my return with the holiday blues, Planet Skaro seems like a great place to share enthusiasm, thoughts and ideas. Before I become reconditioned back to work I wanted to start this thread so I'm reminded of the importance of doing something different and to take further holidays! I guess not everybody of course can afford or has time to take a good break but perhaps the key point whatever we do I reckon is that we should spend time taking ourselves out of our routines.

Rather than post all at once I'll gradually post some pics of the various places I've been with a few comments. I guess it'll kind of be like a blog of my holiday

I'm glad to see you had a great time, Ralph. That'll be you coming back down to earth with a bump now though, won't it?! That's the worst thing about going away on holiday...starting back at work. A few hours back in the old routine, and it feels as if you've never been away. You wouldn't have had much fun on that M8 coming back from the airport either, I bet! Or was your flight at a decent enough time to miss all the tailbacks at those roadworks? (I got stuck in them twice last week!)

I completely agree with your comments about how good it feels to get away somewhere on holiday. It's a total break when you go abroad...no constant reminders about your normal day-to-day life, unlike when you stay at home at holiday time (which I did this year ). Personally, my workplace is only about half a mile from my house, and even when I'm on holiday I always see people from work, or see tankers or lorries which constantly remind me about work. You go back to work feeling as if you haven't really had a break.

I've got to admit that a regular holiday is the thing that I've missed most by having a family. When I was single I used to get away regularly (Canada was my favourite destination, my uncle was an auditor and through his work he had made friends all over the USA so we used his home as a base for frequent trips into America). Unfortunately, when kids come along your priorities change and so regular holidays abroad soon became a thing of the past. I think that this makes you appreciate it more when you actually do get away. Over the past 18 months or so we've managed to get away more regularly than we have at any time since we got married, between family holidays in Majorca, trips to London, and even just visiting friends in places like Aberdeen and Inverness. And we all felt so much better for it, it was great. But I don't think we'll be getting away again for some time now...that deposit on a new car earlier in the year has left a huge hole in our finances which will take some time to replace So once again, holidays will take a back seat for a while...and I'm missing them already!

So I hope you had a really great time over there, and I'm looking forward to seeing some great holiday pics soon!

Wayne Guest

I'll look forward to your 'blog', Ralph.
    I'm not in the same position as yourself, so i don't really get the 'work blues', but i can well understand what you're getting at, as i've seen manifest itself with so many people. Even my parents, when i was younger. I'm certain that the fact my Dad went through periods of depression largely down to work related stress, had an impact on my own life choice not to go down that road.
    But it's never all bad, & there's a lot worse situations a person could be in, i guess. As you say, You've had 3 great weeks in America, & yet many people who work hard still couldn't afford to do that. So chin up, & take heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I'll look forward to your 'blog', Ralph.
    I'm not in the same position as yourself, so i don't really get the 'work blues', but i can well understand what you're getting at, as i've seen manifest itself with so many people. Even my parents, when i was younger. I'm certain that the fact my Dad went through periods of depression largely down to work related stress, had an impact on my own life choice not to go down that road.
    But it's never all bad, & there's a lot worse situations a person could be in, i guess. As you say, You've had 3 great weeks in America, & yet many people who work hard still couldn't afford to do that. So chin up, & take heart!
    No worries about the work blues Wayne, at the end of the day it's simply a temporary symptom of all holidays and I should be fine fairly soon! On the cash front it's easier for me without a family to support and rather than have a flash car and such like I've decided to go for some nice holidays. I don't want regrets before I die... not that I'm planning that any time soon! However on that note I did have a bit of a dilemma when my camera rolled over the edge of the cliff in the Grand Canyon! Getting down to rescue it was easier than the return journey which was riskier than I expected, though clearly I made it in the end! Oh and as a blog tends to be a monologue I'd prefer not to do that as such... I'd love to answer any questions - if anyone's already been to that part of the world that would be great too!

Wayne Guest

One thing that's always struck me about the States, is that it's so huge!
    How did you decide which part(s) you were going to visit in your 3 weeks?

Well thats where Explore holidays come in - I wanted an organised tour that would sort it for me as I didn't have a clue. It was great for me because all the travel and accommodation arrangements are sorted, key locations selected with a tour guide so all you need to do is turn up and enjoy yourself. I think sometimes the dillema of having to choose where to go and organising a trip can be a bit of a hassle so it really suited what I was looking for. Sometimes it's nice to go somewhere and just chill for a couple of weeks but I really wanted something that would take me to parts of the world I'd never seen and give me an exploring/activity type holiday. I could still chill in the evenings with a few beers!

Anyway to get the ball rolling here's a pic of one of San Francisco's famous landmarks, the Trans-America building. Oh and if these pics come out too large I'd appreciate it if Pip or one of the team could help in the adjustment in case I can't. Thanks in advance!

We were waiting for a meal in a restaurant queue when I took this - the only place to get the picture exactly as I wanted it was standing bang in the middle of the road so I probably looked a bit of a crazy tourist but I found the drivers in american more patient than over here with this kind of thing!

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    I probably looked a bit of a crazy tourist

Quite an unusual building. I've never seen that before.

Quote Originally Posted by MacNimon View Post
    You wouldn't have had much fun on that M8 coming back from the airport either, I bet! Or was your flight at a decent enough time to miss all the tailbacks at those roadworks? (I got stuck in them twice last week!)
    No problems there fortunately Kenny as I arrived back Friday night at around 11pm. I do try to avoid the M8 particularly at the Kingston Bridge area at peak times!

I completely agree with your comments about how good it feels to get away somewhere on holiday. It's a total break when you go abroad...no constant reminders about your normal day-to-day life, unlike when you stay at home at holiday time (which I did this year ). Personally, my workplace is only about half a mile from my house, and even when I'm on holiday I always see people from work, or see tankers or lorries which constantly remind me about work. You go back to work feeling as if you haven't really had a break.
    I've done holidays at home but it never works for me. I need a complete change of location if at all possible! I know people who would call the office on holiday but I just can't do that myself. You really need an opportunity to complete chill out. I hope you have the opportunity to get away with the family somewhere different next year!

I've got to admit that a regular holiday is the thing that I've missed most by having a family. When I was single I used to get away regularly (Canada was my favourite destination, my uncle was an auditor and through his work he had made friends all over the USA so we used his home as a base for frequent trips into America). Unfortunately, when kids come along your priorities change and so regular holidays abroad soon became a thing of the past.
    Totally! My friends who have families reckon I ought to be travelling since I don't have my own family. Maybe my own priorities will change again one day which is another reason I want to travel more but as I say sometimes it might be just to South Wales (which I like a lot) - I don't feel it has to be somewhere far distant but it is good to try and see what's out there!

I do like to see the Sun too - these summers here must get everybody down!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post

Quite an unusual building. I've never seen that before.
    Well if you watch any movies set in San Francisco look out for it - I think it was built in the 70s - it was prominently featured in the 1978 version of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers". The shape of the building for me is the only interesting aspect otherwise it's just a regular building. All my references to SF are based on movies and TV - my favourite viewing opportunities are from San Francisco's most maverick fictional cop - need I say more punk!

On my first full day in the States I thought it only right to have a slice of "Mom's apple pie" but I shouldn't really have been surprised I guess when my light snack with a cappuchino turned out to be a quarter of the whole pie encrusted with sugar and cream on top! As the girls behind the counter looked fairly trim I guessed they don't partake much themselves!

Wayne Guest

Good job you didn't bring any back for me.

It looks like you've had a great time. I'm looking forward to reading more Ralph.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Thanks Si... meantime continuing on with my holiday pics no collection of photos of SF can be without a couple of the Golden Gate bridge. It often gets covered in a low lying fog. I believe there's a mega amount of concrete securing the structure. Enough to run a pavement round the globe or something suchlike.

Note the weather! Is it any wonder I'm struggling to come to terms with being back in the UK

I took this pic which I thought gave a good contrast of city life. A smartly dressed girl all made up addresses a TV camera meantime a guy down on his luck is pushing his worldy possessions round in a trolley. It might be the world's richest nation but it still has plenty of poor folk.

I have to say this one of the few places in the USA that I'd really like to visit and your photos just make it look all the more enticing!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I think you'd definitely like San Francisco Si. Hope you get to visit in the not too distant future.

Meantime another couple of pics I took:

I thought the arrow in the foreground looked all very arty while the one below is a panorama shot. The outline of the trans america building can just barely be seen on the extreme right. I took these pics on a quick zip round the city on the Monday before our departure.

I guess this thread really ought to be in the picture gallery so please shift it there.

The row of houses in the foreground are called the "painted ladies" . This is one set of only very few buildings left after the 1906 Earthquake.

Another couple of pics of SF to come and then onto Yosemite National Park and a pic of El Capitan which James Kirk famously climbed in 2350 or something or other....

You take excellent photos, Ralph - my pics usually come out murky and blurry and with the tops of heads missing! Those are gorgeous though*, and I'm glad you had such a good time.

*Especially the apple pie - look at the size of that thing!!!

Ta Andrew - the camera helps a lot.

Ok I've decided to mix up my pics now so moving onto Santa Monica - this pic I just had to take! This one's dedicated to smokers everywhere! The shape of things to come I wonder?

This is Bryce Canyon!

These columns of stone are called "hoodoos"

Last edited by Ralph; 17th Aug 2007 at 10:23 PM.

Wayne Guest

Beautiful looking pics!

(But not much crumpet)

this one's for Wayne - a pic of Bodie Ghost town

If you want sexy how about the pair on the far right?

Meantime this is me trying to be arty again - Bodie by the way was a gold prospecting town now abandoned near Death Valley.

Last edited by Ralph; 17th Aug 2007 at 10:39 PM.

Wayne Guest

I demand a bigger pic!

Well my pics have a high resolution so it's always possible!

Thats one of my favourites