Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Further to this, there's depressing news that the movie has sunk because Doug Naylor was told he had to recast, and refused. So now it's being cannibalised into a possible "Red Dwarf: The Stage Show".

Meanwhile, a competition on the official site...

Who said the following: "The BBC is longer interested in the audience Red Dwarf formerly used to attract"?

Albert Einstein
    Pythagoras
    John Lennon
    Some git in a suit

Si.

Left it too long? I'll say they left it too long. It just goes to show that sometime chasing the money of a feature film instead of sticking to TV where the show really belongs can be a bad thing. I've never erally been too enamoured of the idea of a RD film really.
    In the end we had 8 years worth, which is better than most shows, especially comedies (and expensive ones at that!) get.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I agree, Si. I think they got above themselves. If I was BBC2 and they came back after ten years because their little movie couldn't get made and said "ok, now we'll make you another series" I'd probably feel like telling them to get stuffed. It's a strike for loyalty really.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

They're not having a Red Dwarf convention next year. Even the loyal fans must have got sick of waiting for nothing. I don't think a new series would work. But I'd like to see a stage show.

A stage show would be pretty dreadful I reckon. I'd like to see a new Red Dwarf series, but only if it's different. It wouldn't work them all squeezing into their old outfits and telling the same old jokes all over again. They'd need to really think about what a forty-something Lister etc. would be like.

Or maybe even employ a new cast. Give the old cast cameo roles and take the RD concept to a new, younger, set of characters.

Si.

Well it's nice to have this confirmed but to be honest I'd given up on another series or a film. I've lived the last few years suspecting that the longer it went on the less likely we would get a series & there were story boards of a movie back in 2001 & no news since.

On the one hand I suspect the moment has passed for any more Red Dwarf. On the other, it's hard to feel that bringing it back could result in anything worse than some of the stuff that does go ahead. They probably could adapt the characters as being older, and the costumes tended to change quite a lot during the series' run anyway. Chances are all this speculation is academic though.

To be honest Red Dwarf has had its day and the writers could have easily written a couple of completely new comedies in that time. Maybe Doug Naylor is a one trick pony? Rob Grant has at least gone into novel writing and done something during that time instead of desperately hugging the drained corpse of Red Dwarf in hopes that they can squeeze one last drop of blood out of it! (sorry I've been reading a lot of horror stuff lately)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    To be honest Red Dwarf has had its day and the writers could have easily written a couple of completely new comedies in that time. Maybe Doug Naylor is a one trick pony? Rob Grant has at least gone into novel writing and done something during that time instead of desperately hugging the drained corpse of Red Dwarf in hopes that they can squeeze one last drop of blood out of it! (sorry I've been reading a lot of horror stuff lately)
    He's like Panzer and Davis with Highlander... except at least they got their movie made to wrap things up even if it did take years after it was finished to get it distributed and it went directly to tv...

Finally started watching my Red Dwarf DVDs last night/this morning.

Only bought the Series 1 set on the day it was released!

Pip Madeley Guest

Red Dwarf's twenty years old today isn't it

That's why I slipped a into the last post, Pip.

Think there's probably some stuff on Dave over the weekend.

It was a fine comedy series in its day.

Cheers to Red Dwarf!

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

I love Red Dwarf. It's smegging great.

Yeah, it's hard to beat.

Pip Madeley Guest

What's with the long pause, Tim?

I'm sorry?

Pip Madeley Guest

After "Yeah, it's hard to beat" there's a big gap... thought you were going to put a filthy joke afterwards or something

There is a in size 1 at the bottom of the post but it seems not to have appeared for some reason.
    I suspect mod/admin interference!

Pip Madeley Guest

How odd! I've just checked and yep, your cheeky bit is there... but it's not showing in the post... weird.

It's also missing in my previous post!

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    Good! Series 3 is where RD really found itself and started evolving from a cheap(ish) sitcom into something quite special.
    Hmm... I think the first two series were the best. Well, maybe not the first but the second definitely. The less said about the last two series the better.

Pip Madeley Guest

I like every episode, so I guess I'm lucky.

Some shocking acting from Craig Charles has already destroyed my memories of Series 1.

Pip Madeley Guest

Speaking of shocking...

TV star held over binman threats

An actor from the Red Dwarf television show has been arrested over claims he threatened a binman with a knife. Daniel John-Jules, 47, who played the Cat character, was arrested in Whitmore Gardens, Kensal Green, north-west London, on Friday morning. Police said an altercation led to the alleged incident and a man in his 50s suffered minor injuries.

A 47-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of assault, the Metropolitan Police said. "Police were called at approximately 9am to reports of an altercation and a man being threatened with a knife outside a residential property in Whitmore Gardens, NW10," said a police spokeswoman.

"A man believed to be aged in his mid 50s had suffered minor injuries. A 47-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of assault and was taken to a north London police station." Both police and an ambulance attended the incident.