Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Shall we do a Red Dwarf Time Team? Two episodes a week starting in October.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Pip Madeley Guest

Finally, some concrete news:

It was confirmed this afternoon at UKTV’s press launch for new channels Watch, Alibi, GOLD and the autumn season of shows on Dave (where RD will screen).

Robert Llewellyn (Kryten) told assembled journalists: “It’s very new news to me. I really only fully heard the details yesterday. We’re doing four new shows - two of them are going to be proper new episodes of Red Dwarf. [The third programme] is so exciting I’ve been asked not to say anything because other people will steal the idea. And it is a great idea, quite challenging for us as performers. The [final programme] is a kind of behind-the-scenes… the truth… there’s been so many rumours and gossip about Red Dwarf, so all those things.”

He also let slip Doug Naylor will be writing. Expect blast off some time next year.
    And from the official Red Dwarf website:

Show One - The Making Of The Specials
    A highly entertaining look at what goes on behind the scenes on a Red Dwarf production.
    Show Two - Red Dwarf Special: Part One
    The cast get back into character, and costume, a decade on...
    Show Three - Red Dwarf Special: Part Two
    The adventure continues...
    Show Four - A Clip Show With a Serious Difference
    The cast do it their way. Red Dwarf as you have never, ever seen it before!

The shows will broadcast sometime in 2009 and, if successful, could pave the way for further Red Dwarf TV projects. Thanks to movie and broadcaster wrangles, Grant Naylor haven't been in a position to produce new Red Dwarf since Series VIII went out to audiences of over eight million in 1999. This exciting development suggests a new and shiny future for everyone's favourite sci-fi comedy.
    So two bona fide NEW episodes of Red Dwarf.

Great news!

Well, OK that sounds fun, doesn't it?

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Well, it's something.

I still need to watch series 8. It's been sitting on my shelf since it was released in the US.

Pip Madeley Guest

What you waiting for, man?

My guess for the "clip show as you've never seen it before" is the cast re-enacting famous sequences now - and possibly with the twist that they play different characters.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Well, OK that sounds fun, doesn't it?

Si xx
    You said it was an awful idea only yesterday Simon!

I'm allowed to change my mind, aren't I?

Oh I don't know. Perhaps I'll just reserve judgement for now and keep quiet instead. For a change, eh? I'm just fickle!

Si xx

Sounds good, but I don't want to see the "Making Of" before the actual specials!! Who had that crap idea?!
    Thanks to movie and broadcaster wrangles, Grant Naylor haven't been in a position to produce new Red Dwarf since Series VIII went out to audiences of over eight million in 1999.
    A wonderfully lovely way of describing the last ten years! Like the makers hands have been tied! I guess "Grant Naylor have been trying to rustle up money to make a film since 1999, but now they've given up and got a TV deal back" doesn't have quite the same ring...

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    A wonderfully lovely way of describing the last ten years! Like the makers hands have been tied! I guess "Grant Naylor have been trying to rustle up money to make a film since 1999, but now they've given up and got a TV deal back" doesn't have quite the same ring...

Si.

I'm actually quite optimistic about this, despite struggling with some of the latter series, I hope they give it an ending of some sort anyway, even if it does leave the door open for new adventures.

If worst comes to the worst and it's a big pile of drivel, I'll just pretend it doesn't exist, like with the Star Wars prequels, Enterprise, and (most likely) the new Hitchhiker's book.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

It could be like the 1996 Doctor Who TV Movie.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    I'm allowed to change my mind, aren't I?
    It just shows how 24 hours is an eternity in the life of Si Hart!

Pip Madeley Guest

Danny John Jules has been sentenced:

Red Dwarf actor's attack sentence

An actor from TV series Red Dwarf must carry out 120 hours of community service for assaulting two bin men. Danny John-Jules, 48, spat at and punched the two council workers for not emptying his recycling bin in Kensal Green, north-west London, in February. John-Jules, who played Cat in the BBC sitcom, was also told to pay 350GBP costs and 75GBP compensation to each man. The actor, who did not accept the common assault convictions, said afterwards he had a "clear conscience".

Brent Magistrates' Court heard that John-Jules shouted and swore at Jan Lisiecki and his son Jaroslaw when they would not accept his recycling bin as it contained items they did not collect. The actor kicked the container, kicked Mr Lisiecki Snr on the leg, punched his son and spat in his son's face, the court heard. Jan Lisiecki was also punched and hurt his head as he fell against the metal handles of the lorry. Defending, Laurence Kench said John-Jules did not accept the guilty verdicts for two counts of common assault.

"This sort of behaviour is completely at odds with all that he is known for and by," Mr Kench said. "He has already suffered professionally because of this." Outside court John-Jules said: "I'm going to sleep well tonight, community service or no community service. There's nothing like a clear conscience." He added: "I've been doing community service for over 30 years, this is just another day. "I've been in showbusiness 30 years, I've never had an article written about anything good that I've done."

I can't help but think there must be more to it. What did they do to prompt him to threaten them? It would be interesting to know.

Si.

WhiteCrow Guest

What's happened to Danny? Is spitting and punching what he resorts to when he feels tongue tied?

I remember those announcements at the end of most episodes,

"Danny John-Jules is currently appearing in Carmen Miranda at the Old Vic".

Why did the BBC do that when they were supposed not to advertise such things?

Did we used to get,

"Steve McFadden is currently appearing in panto in Woking New Victoria" at the end of Eastenders?

Or "David Tennant is due to appear as Hamlet with the RSC" at the end of Journey's End?

But in honour of those announcements,

"Danny John-Jules is currently appearing at a kerbside near you ... collecting rubbish for the next 120 hours."

Maybe one of the bin men enraged him by picking an item at random from his bin and saying, "So what is it?" It's bound to get annoying eventually...

So what is it?

Si.

"I don't know, but I'm guessing it's white plastic"

Pip Madeley Guest

No Lovett for new Dwarf specials:

I will not be involved in the new Red Dwarf programmes on the Dave channel. A pathetic little email arrived today to let me know that due to budget I would not be appearing. I dread to think about the size of the budget because I’ve never been paid much to appear in Red Dwarf anyway.

I am a little sad because I’ve been saying over the last couple of years that I am the perfect age to play Holly now. (I was 41 when I first played him). I am more angry really because I was given dates to put in my diary before Christmas but what’s new with GrantNaylor in charge.

Happy New Year and Best Wishes,

Norman
    Miserable git!

Is Hattie in reception then?

Oh dear. There's some bitterness there, isn't there?

Si xx

I'd be a little miffed if I was asked to keep dates free for work commitments only to be told via e-mail that I was no longer wanted. Especially if I knew I was being paid less than other actors in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    I'd be a little miffed if I was asked to keep dates free for work commitments only to be told via e-mail that I was no longer wanted. Especially if I knew I was being paid less than other actors in the series.
    Quite. Holly's a pretty essential character if you ask me, and for the production company to not even have the decency to phone him seems very poor, so I completely understand his reaction.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Pip Madeley Guest

Holly's a pretty essential character if you ask me
    In my book Kryten came along and made him/her pretty redundant. During series 3-5 Holly became less of an integral part of the scripts and then of course they got rid of her for the sixth series and I for one barely noticed. Nowadays with Lister, Rimmer, Kryten, the Cat & Kochanski on board I don't think they really need him.