Default Norman Wisdom In Nursing Home

Sad news, as reported by The Daily Mail earlier in the month...

but today's News of the World has this slightly happier story (with video)

Quote Originally Posted by News of the World
    EXCLUSIVE: I'm happy in my care home, legend Norman tells fans

GRIM? NOT ME!

By Chris Tate

COMEDY legend Norman Wisdom sits at the piano cracking gagslooking anything but GRIM-sdale at 92.

Laughing off claims that he's being badly treated in his old age, Sir Norman chuckles: "I play everything by ear you know ...but after a while it starts to hurt!"

Staff at the care home where he now lives dissolve in giggles and the residents he's been entertaining smile widely.

The madcap star is in his element performing for new pals. With songs, gags, his trademark trip' and occasional yells of catchphrase MR GRIMSDALE! he looks like he's having the time of his life.

His favourite gag is pretending he's DEAD to staff. It has 'em in stitches.

The News of the World was invited to visit Sir Norman by his family, who have been criticised for moving him to the Abbotswood care home on the Isle of Man home and putting his house nearby up for sale to pay for it.

Bright

"Of course it was a heart-rending decision for the family to take, but Sir Norman has vascular Alzheimer's which will sadly not get any better, only worse," said daughter-in-law Kim Wisdom, 53, wife of his son Nicholas, 55.

"That means he suffers memory loss and can get very confused sometimes," she explained.

Sir Norman showed no sign of confusion as he himself set the record straight.

Sitting bright-eyed and smartly dressed in his well-furnished room surrounded by photos and mementoes, he told us: "I'm fine thanks, in fact I'm a very lucky little old devil! Everything here is very comfortable and all the people are so friendly. I'm fit and happy."

Earlier he had treated other residents to a medley of his old hits.

Sitting in a high-winged chair in a blazer and flannels, he was word perfect as he worked his way through a string of numbers, including his most famous Don't Laugh At Me 'Cos I'm A Fool.

Sir Norman moved to the Isle of Man 24 years ago, so it was natural for his family to find him a care home there. Kim said: "It's where he wants to live, die and be buried. He needs to have company and the safety of a routine, so Abbotswood is ideal." The family has been criticised for refusing to let Sir Norman's friends visit. But Abbotswood boss Zandra Lewis explained: "Old people can be easily confused so we've been gradually introducing his things to his roomand we do the same with visitors. We can't swamp him with people."

He moved in five weeks ago and is settling well. Staff take him for outingshis favourite is a bar in the island's capital Douglas that's a shrine to the cheeky chap who made it big in the 1950s, with films featuring loveable ass Norman Pitkin and his run-ins with Mr Grimsdale. This week Sir Norman held open the door of his' bar for carer Cynthia Mcleod before watching a plasma screen that shows only his films. "People are so fond of him because of all the fun he's given," she said.

And that sense of fun hasn't gone. As Sir Norman left the bar, he did his trip'seeming to stumble before quickly straightening up. "He does that every time he leaves his bar!" laughed Zandra.

She added: "Sir Norman still has a lot of mischief about him. For example, he loves to fool us by playing dead. He gets breakfast in bed and often he'll lie not moving.

"Next thing he's bolt-upright saying, A-hawhat are you doing?"

Still an old trouper, Sir Norman was delighted to pose for pictures pulling all his comedy faces. "I'm very happy," he said.

And after a quick cry of Mr Grimsdale!, Sir Norman smiled with that twinkle in his eye and said: "Thank you very much."

Pip Madeley Guest

Is that the same nursing home that Richard O'Sullivan currently resides? I noticed Roobarbs are doing a collection for him.

read this article in last weeks papers it's so sad to see whats happened to the greatt mam

Anyone watch The Secret Life Of Norman Wisdom Aged 92¾ on BBC2 last night?

Pip Madeley Guest

His one-scoop-ice-cream gorging raped my Cornetto lovin'hood.

Or something.

His comedy jacket doesn't fit him!

Very sad. How much do his kids look like him?
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I thought Norman looked great for his age, certainly 20 years younger. It's a sad fact that if we live long enough we'll all get to this stage but I think his family have clearly done their best.

As a kid I loved watching his films, they had me in stitches back then.

I hope his last few years in the home are happy for him