Default The Slide / BBC Radio Classic Sci-Fi Audiobooks

Not sure whether anybody has bought and listened to this yet but I thoroughly recommend it

Full marks to the cast and the brilliant BBC Radiophonic Workshop for some superb sound effects.

Listening to this story has got me hooked on BBC Sci Fi stories so much so that on the strength of it I bought The Kraken Wakes, Childhood's End and Aliens in The Mind

Any body else got any of these
    'Steed is one of my most valuable subjects he's too valuable to lose'

Pip Madeley Guest

Fury From The Deep being my fave Who of all time, I'm familiar with the Slide. I've got it but it's a poor quality recording, I'll get the remastered CD one day!

I thought you'd like it, for obvious reasons

I haven't got any of them so far, but I keep meaning to have a look and see if we've got any of them here in the library, as I'm sure I'd like them. We might get The Slide if I ask nicely!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Hee hee I wonder what reasons they might be

Seriously though it's nice for a change that Roger Delgado remembers to use his foreign accent all the way through the story instead of the usual lapsing back into using his own voice which happened in numerous other productions he was in

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    I haven't got any of them so far, but I keep meaning to have a look and see if we've got any of them here in the library, as I'm sure I'd like them. We might get The Slide if I ask nicely!

Si xx
    I think you will enjoy it Si

I wasn't too keen on The Kraken Wakes I thought it was rather plodding in places but Childhood's End was very good and very exciting

And I've recently finished listening to Aliens in The Mind. You can't go far wrong with Vincent Price and Peter Cushing as the main stars

The Slide thus far(2 episodes in) is actually quite atmospheric,I would also recommend the Quatermass Memoirs and The Midwich Cuckoos from the previous releases...

As a side note Solaris,A Handful Of Moondust(and I believe Chocky) are slated for a january release

Hmm, these sound really good! Stephen Pacey in 'Childhood's End' should be a treat too. If only BF would stop plopping their tawdry audios onto our doormat!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by stuartdg View Post
    The Slide thus far(2 episodes in) is actually quite atmospheric,I would also recommend the Quatermass Memoirs and The Midwich Cuckoos from the previous releases...

As a side note Solaris,A Handful Of Moondust(and I believe Chocky) are slated for a january release

Thanks for the recommendations I shall look out for both The Quatermass Memoirs and The Midwich Cuckoos

Interesting snippet of information about The Slide is there was supposed to be a sequel to it but for whatever reason it was never written. Time for me to get my thinking cap on in that case and see if I can come up with anything

Pip Madeley Guest

I've been meaning to get the radio version of The Day of the Triffids too, can anyone recommend it?

I've been wondering whether to buy it myself but I'm still not sure

Pip Madeley Guest

I've found a preview clip here (MP3) if you want to listen to a bit.

That's very kind of you thanks

Pip Madeley Guest

Just an update - I got the radio version and I can thoroughly recommend it, there's even a few Doctor Who names in there (Peter Pratt, Chris Bidmead, David Brierley). There's no music, mostly just voices and sound effects, but the acting is up to standard and it goes at a similar pace to the TV version.

Audible have four of the BBC Sci Fi Classics available for download at £4 each as part of their Radio 4 is 40 promotion and you don't have to be a member to buy them:

War of the Worlds
    Chrysalis & Survival
    Day of the Triffids
    Aliens in the Mind

Warning - the Audible website is shite.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.