Pip Madeley Guest

Default The Films Of Quentin Tarantino

I've rented a couple of Tarantino's films, so I thought it'd be nice to have a thread to share opinions. I watched Reservoir Dogs last night, and plan to do Pulp Fiction tonight. Might do Kill Bill (1 and 2)... anyway, onto Reservoir Dogs...

For a debut film, it's really impressive. Quite a simple story told with a twist, despite the obviously low budget, it's riveting viewing. The opening was surprisingly light-hearted, guys sat round a table chatting about Madonna and big dicks, and straight off, one of the highlights is Steve Busemi as Mr Pink, refusing to tip the waitress... then it suddenly gets all serious with the classic slow-mo walk, and then the next minute there's blood everywhere! I enjoyed the non-linear plot because it kept you guessing, then thankfully filled in the gaps via a clever tapestry and changed your perceptions of the different men, as you discover who's set them up.

I liked the way each character got a good amount of screen time, giving them time to develop into three-dimensional characters. It helps that they're given some absolutely cracking one-liners, such as Wheres the commode in this dungeon, I gotta take a squirt Love the moment where their names are dished out, and Mr Pink and Mr Brown take offence. "Mr Brown sounds like Mr Shit" indeed. The shootings didn't bother me too much, but the torture scene turned from comical to quite brutal and disturbing, I'm glad Tarantino cut away at the climax. There's a few shocks too, as Michael Masden's character is suddenly gunned down before he can complete his sadistic torturing of the cop.

Great crime film, very funny at times, and rather moving at the end too.

I haven't seen Res Dogs in years now, but I remember going up to London to see it on the day of release as Empire gushed so much about it, and absolutely loved it. Okay, he steals the entire plot from the Hong Kong movie City On Fire, but that's a fairly dull movie when compared to this, and his skill with dialogue and direction in general makes it pretty special stuff. The performances are all pretty wonderful too - especially from Roth, Keitel and Madsen.

I'm a big fan of Tarantino's, even though his films sometimes lack depth, there's only one which I found a real disappointment, which was Kill Bill vol. 2, but perhaps that's just because it really wasn't what I was expecting after the first volume.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I'm not keen on Tarantino's films at all.... the guy has no subtlety in his movies IMO... he abuses the senses

Pip Madeley Guest

Well, I watched Pulp Fiction... what a great film! Loads of swearing, loads of blood, loads of swearing, loads of violence, loads of swearing, loads of great dialogue, loads of fun! And did I mention there's a few swear words?

Absolutely stellar cast, my favourites would be Jackson and Willis, who I also enjoyed in the third Die Hard film. Harvey Keitel makes a great impression too as Winston Wolf, the man who solves problems. Great stories with a lot of black comedy, I loved the non-chronology, and the way they all came together. The infamous scene with Vincent killing Marvin scared the hell out of me! Christopher Walken's cameo was great too, started so seriously but then became hilarious.

A bit too long as 2 and a half hours, there were a few scenes that could've been trimmed (such as the cab scene), but overall a really enjoyable film, worth a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Harvey Keitel makes a great impression too as Winston Wolf, the man who solves problems.
    The highlight of the movie for me - super cool or what?

Pip Madeley Guest

I love his line: "If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!"

Yes that's the best line of the film!

I love the way he stands there immaculately dressed as he hoses them down

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    the guy has no subtlety in his movies IMO... he abuses the senses
    I know what you mean, but sometimes that's why I like them. Jackie Brown's surprisingly lowkey btw, I don't know if you've seen it, it's definitely his most considered film and pretty underrated by most.

I like Pulp Fiction a hell of a lot, but I think that's a tad over-rated, there's some brilliant scenes in there but also some filler, and as Pip mentions it's definitely overlong. Still, when it's good, it doesn't get much better than that, if you know what I mean.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."