Thread: Tennis

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Pick of the semi finals with Henin v Venus Williams coming up and Kuznetsova v Chakvetadze

I wouldn't like to be commentating on the second of those!

Me neither.

Si.

Henin v Williams was an intense encounter,with astonishing rallys throughout the first set.Henin`s win make her only the second player to defeat both Williams sisters in a Grand slam.She goes on to face Kuznetsova in the final

Emotional scenes at Wimbledon today as Henman plays as a pro for the final time.

He beat Roko Karanusic in straight sets to put Great Britain 2-0 up against Croatia in the Davis Cup tie. Andy Murray survived a scare to beat 18-year-old Marin Cilic in five sets earlier.

Henman might not be back if GB win the doubles match tomorrow.

Shame that Karlovic, Ancic (injured) and Ljubicic (urinary infection) couldn't play for Croatia.

Of more interest to me is the return of Lindsay Davenport,last week winning her first title,in her return tournament,defeating world number 3 Jelena Jankovic along the way

Forget about Andy Murray winning his third ATP title in St Petersburg the other day, reaching the Paris Masters quarter-finals today, and being on the verge of qualifying for the Masters Cup...

Check out this Hingis shocker:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/7073033.stm

Quote Originally Posted by BBC News
    Hingis admits positive drug test

Martina Hingis has retired from tennis after revealing she tested positive for cocaine at this year's Wimbledon.

The Swiss star denied ever taking drugs and said the accusations against her were "horrendous and monstrous".

"I have tested positive, but I have never taken drugs and I feel 100% innocent," said the Swiss former world number one in a statement.

"The reason I have come out with this is because I do not want to have a fight with anti-doping authorities."

Hingis, a five-time Grand Slam champion and former Wimbledon winner, lost in the third round at the All England Club to Laura Granville.

Her statement continued: "When I was informed I had failed my 'A' test following my defeat at Wimbledon I was shocked and appalled.

"I have no desire to spend the next seven years fighting doping officials. I'm frustrated and angry, and accusations such as these don't provide me with the motivation to continue.

"Because of my age and my health problems, I have also decided to retire from professional tennis."

In a statement, WTA Tour chief executive Larry Scott said his organisation knew nothing about any drugs test failure by Hingis.

"We have not received any official information regarding the positive doping test result referred to by Martina Hingis, and as a result we are not in a position to comment on the matter," he said.

"However, it is important to remember that in the area of anti-doping, all players are presumed innocent until proven otherwise."

A spokesperson for the Swiss tennis association told BBC Sport: "Our association makes it very clear that drugs is not, in any way, part of our sport.

"It is sad to hear this news, but we have yet to have been informed of the details from the tests."

BBC Radio 5 Live tennis correspondent Jonathan Overend added: "The tennis anti-doping policy protects a player's anonimity until the completion of any tribunal process. Hingis, in her words, has decided to confront the issue head on."

The Swiss star first retired in 2003 because of persistent injuries before returning to top-flight tennis at the start of 2006 and winning three more titles.

She brought her season to a premature end last month because of hip problems but had vowed to return to action.

Hingis ended 2006 ranked seventh in the world and is currently number 19.

She added in her statement: "I find this accusation so horrendous, so monstrous that I've decided to confront it head on by talking (to the media)."

Australian Open time and the pick of the 2nd round matches saw Sharapova v Davenport earlier

Great performance from Davenport!

Great performance from Murray on opening day!

Murray is a moaning-faced ****.

The epic Hewitt v Baghdatis match is now in the middle of its fifth set! It started about midnight local time and it's now after 4am!

Which Hewitt duly won there was another epic earlier with Federer in major trouble in a big five setter

Elsewhere the women's no 2 seed Kuznetsova and went out and if the draw works out we could be in for a Henin v Sharapova(who's looking very very good) quarter final

Sharapova for the title-with Henin hammered and Serena slaughtered she has to be favourite,with only Ivanovic,Venus(who face each other next) and Jankovic(her semi final opponent) left as posing any real threat

Sharapova and Jankovic are both looking good.

Dave Tudor would be in there like a shot.*

Tsonga is also doing really well, but can he beat Nadal?

* with a witty caption...

And Ivanovic v Hantuchova in the other semi,lets see underdog Daniela go through

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Tears View Post
    Tsonga is also doing really well, but can he beat Nadal?
    I hope he does. I can't stand Neanderthal.

Dave Tudor would be in there like a shot.
    I'd show her some good ground strokes.

It's going to be Sharapova and Ivanovic in a ultra-perv-tastic ladies final!

I haven't actually watched any of this tournament...

Shocking.
    Last edited by Dave Tudor; 24th Jan 2008 at 2:29 PM.

Nadal is out of the semi's defeated in straight sets by Tsonga,conqueror of Andy Murray

Hantuchova should really be in the final as it was only one shot into the net that cost her the match

Nadal is out!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    Shocking.

It's bloody shocking that you've outperved me!

You missed this one.

Not quite good enough!

Almost there!
    Last edited by Milky Tears; 24th Jan 2008 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Damn you Tudor!

Federer is out losing in straight sets to Djokovic.Best news of my day

It's bloody shocking that you've outperved me!

You missed this one.

Not quite good enough!

Almost there!
    Game, set and match to Lindsay.

But you served the first/best ace!

The tie-break would be "Boom Boom" Lindsay v Dave "The Scud" Tudor.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=113936

Are we up for the "dream final"?

Starts in under half an hour!

I'm tempted to stay up.