Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Fatso the wombat View Post
    Really, I do hope this is one of those rare beasts; a rumour with basis in truth. But I fear it won't be.
    the longer it drags on I sadly think you'll be proved right.

This is as bad as that guy that posted on the RT forum about a year ago saying that he had contact with someone who wished him to be a go-between for him with the BBC & after not giving enough info on which episodes & not coming forward with the goods (citing negative comments on the RT site giving the 'owner' of the films cold feet) then disappeared from view & was never heard from again.

Unless I hear a concrete announcement that there has been something returned (and lets face it, the BBC would have made an announcement by now if it were true) then I consider this to be bollox!

Captain Tancredi Guest

I think the thing is that "hoax" suggests that the person telling the story knows it's a fib and is telling it to wind people up. That's not necessarily the case here, and it could well be the case that whoever has brought the story into the public domain has done it in good faith and either misunderstood what they were told or has been led on themselves.

Apparently, DWO and its editor in particular have a bad reputation for stealing content, treating contributors badly and spamming people, forums and IM users. This looks like just another attempt to get people to go to his website.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Or alternatively somebody who's been on the receiving end in the past has created a false rumour in the knowledge that DWO would take the bait.

While I'm remaining sceptical, the thought has crossed my mind that someone on OG said today that he was told there won't be any news for 'about a month'; conveniently when ITV's 'Raiders of the Lost Archive' is going to be filmed and an announcement about what they found will be made.

Is it stretching belief to think that one of these things might include some of (if not all of) The Web of Fear?

Everything I've heard about missing episode rumours in the past has led to nothing, and I'm taking this news with a truckload of salt, however in this case I'm just that little bit more optimistic. Of course, there's a lot going against it, including the chance DWO is making all this up, and taking advantage of the opportunity that RotLR is going to be filmed to build hopes; not to mention the fact that the episode in question is one of the Holy Grails of missing episodes (although then again the last 3 discoveries were all from highly rated missing stories)...
    Your people? Your people??? They are MY people now!

Apparently, DWO and its editor in particular have a bad reputation for stealing content, treating contributors badly and spamming people, forums and IM users. This looks like just another attempt to get people to go to his website.
    If DWO has such a bad reputation, why were they believed this time? I've not really heard about this website, but when the rumour circulated it's basis seemed to be "DWO is a reputable website and they wouldn't report it unless it had credence". If they're just another unreliable fan site, why did anyone take any notice of them?

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

P-Bal's chummy with the website editor, isn't he? Perhaps he can shed some light?

While there are valid arguments against DWO (or rather in particular against Sebastian Brooke as he perpetrated the actions in their name), the arguments date back to 2003-2004 (as evidenced by various postings on RADW). He now claims to have learnt from his mistakes, and is trying to put the past behind him...

However, I know there are still lots of people who remember his actions, and so are dubious of any veracity of rumours from DWO.
    Your people? Your people??? They are MY people now!

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Culley View Post
    While I'm remaining sceptical, the thought has crossed my mind that someone on OG said today that he was told there won't be any news for 'about a month'; conveniently when ITV's 'Raiders of the Lost Archive' is going to be filmed and an announcement about what they found will be made.

Is it stretching belief to think that one of these things might include some of (if not all of) The Web of Fear?

seen that suggestion too - though It would be a bit embarrassing for the BBC, if after all their efforts to find missing episodes it ends up being an itv made programm that has found an episode of Doctor Who.

Pip Madeley Guest

Who gives a toss if it embarrassed the BBC, what's more important is the discovery...

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Who gives a toss if it embarrassed the BBC, what's more important is the discovery...
    very true, though it would just be ironic that with all the time that people at the BBC have spent on looking for lost episodes and all their contacts it ends up being a one off program by itv that finds some thing. Perhaps itv have seceretly holding all the missing episodes in their archives.

Pip Madeley Guest

Perhaps itv have seceretly holding all the missing episodes in their archives.
    Surely Levine would've burst in there and looked.

Seb's a sound guy, I think people should just have a little patience.

I know a song called Patience.

Quote Originally Posted by P-Bal View Post

never wasa very patient person.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Culley View Post

Everything I've heard about missing episode rumours in the past has led to nothing, and I'm taking this news with a truckload of salt, however in this case I'm just that little bit more optimistic. Of course, there's a lot going against it, including the chance DWO is making all this up, and taking advantage of the opportunity that RotLR is going to be filmed to build hopes; not to mention the fact that the episode in question is one of the Holy Grails of missing episodes (although then again the last 3 discoveries were all from highly rated missing stories)...
    Or the hoaxer just knows about the ROTLA event and is using people's knowledge of it to add versimillitude to the rumours...

Quote Originally Posted by P-Bal View Post

I know a song called Patience.
    P-Bal, what exactly are we waiting for? The BBC won't deny it if it's a hoax perpetrated on Sebastian will they? They'll just ignore it a it has nothing to do with them. So how long should we have patience?

P.S Guns 'n' Roses rock!

well I think if we have not heard any thing by the time this itv programm is shown then I think we can safely say it's a hoax

But when will that be?

3 weeks & no word.

Hoax then?

Pip Madeley Guest

Definitely.

well it's certainly beginning to look like it.

well from what appears to be being said on O.G and DWO, we should know the out come of this rumour today.

Pip Madeley Guest

Nothing's been found, nothing to see here.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Nothing's been found, nothing to see here.
    yep it appears that at todays Raiders of the Lost Archive event some interesting stuff did turn up but supprise supprise no Doctor Who.
    But the longer this dragged on with no firm news the more and more likely it was that this was just another hoax. there are understandably going to be some very angry people and if any thing this will probably now make people even more cynical and contemptuous to any other missing episode found rumours