Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Web of Fear found? No.

Hmmm.... there are rumours on Doctor Who Online that Web of Fear has been found....

DWO have received reports that the lost Doctor Who adventure; The Web of Fear, has been found.
    Obviously it is very early days, and we don't usually report these kind of rumours, but the DWO team genuinly feel there may be some truth to this report.
    If indeed it is true, fans will at last have a complete Yeti story to add to their Doctor Who DVD collections in the months to come.

DWO will keep you posted as this story unfolds further
    Another hoax? Or is it true? We'll wait and see...

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

That would be brilliant if it's true, I read and enjoyed the Target Novelisation of it years ago
    Last edited by Thasc; 6th Sep 2007 at 10:52 AM.
    'Steed is one of my most valuable subjects he's too valuable to lose'

Wayne Guest

Fingers crossed! I don't think the Audio does it justice, especially as there are quite a few battle scenes that don't translate well to audio only.
    It would be great if this story could be seen & not just heard!

It would be good to see Colonel Lethbridge Stewart
    'Steed is one of my most valuable subjects he's too valuable to lose'

If only it can be true, but I will have to contain my excitement for now, as I've heard too many rumours over the years to trust them. It's just the fact that this, along with Power, sits proudly at the top of my "Most Wanted" List...

I'm being very cautious about this rumour too, for preciselty those reasons. I'd love it to be true, because this is probably my favourite of all the missing stories. If the rest of it is half as atmospheric and well directed as Part 1, this could well be a bit of a treat...

Fingers crossed, eh?

Now where's Mr Wombat with the lowdown? if anyone will know, he'll know!

Si xx

I'd prefer The Abominable Snowmen.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I had to chuckle at this post over on OG:

Richard Bignell referred to it as unsubstantiated, and Ian is saying it's rubbish according to his friend in the Restoration Team.
    Ian has a friend left in the RT?

Mark Ayres hasn't heard anything about it *personally* apprently...

Si xx

I don't think we've heard a rumour like this in ages. It's lovely though, keeps us all salivating!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Pip Madeley Guest

Shame it couldn't be a rumour about the next adventure.

I don't believe this for one minute. I want to be wrong with all my being but as Jonno says, there have been far too many rumours & hoaxes for me to be taken in again.

I've been a member of the Doctor Who Online (DWO) forums for a while and from what I've seen of the people who run the forums they are not the kind of people to put these stories out unless they believe there is some truth in it. This is also the feeling of a number of posters over on O.G.

Sadly though we have been hear many times before only to be left very dissapointed and as much as I'd love this rumour to be true I'll only believe it if and when I see it in DWM or in an offical announcement from the BBC.

The rumour's evolved slightly over the course of the day - it's now said to be two episodes that have come back, not the whole thing.

I now feel absurdly dissapointed that only two episodes are coming back. I feel like I've been cheated out of four.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hayes View Post
    The rumour's evolved slightly over the course of the day - it's now said to be two episodes that have come back, not the whole thing.
    And one of them is Episode 1......b'dum tish!

No, *apparently* it's the last two episodes......
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Some fans are already talking about a DVD release/BBC Four broadcast.

I HATE THE FRIKKIN' WEB OF FEAR DVD COVER!! ENUFF ALREADY!! FFS!!
    MY LOST IN TIME SET HAS BEEN RAPED TENFOLD!!

Personally, I think the fools who made the thing in the first place want sacking for foolishly having the Doctor meet Lethbridge-Stewart off-screen. Didn't they know anything about the series?

Captain Tancredi Guest

If I remember rightly, Episode 4 is one of the ones which should exist (having been transmitted from film and therefore kept in the Film Library rather than wiped) but has been lost over the years so there's no reason why it shouldn't turn up if it was misfiled or accidentally taken home.

On the other hand, although it's a fantastically eerie story, conversely it's also one of the least visual stories you can imagine, because everybody knows what a lot of tunnels look like.

if any body is interested there is a long on-going discussion, on both the Outpost Gallifrey & Ian Leevine forums about the possibility of missing episodes being held in Zambia, apparantly the Zambian, archives hold up to 10,000, cans of film. Unfortunantly these archives are reported to be in very poor condition and it is not known what is held in them . People hear have made contact with the relevant people in Zambia, and the wheels have been set in motion but it will probably be a very long time before any thing is known as to what these archives hold.

I bet if there's anything in Zambia it's stuff we've got or it's all rotted away and unwatchable.

Not that I'm a pessimist...

In the words of eccentric scientists Dr Who, "Most exciting!"

Episode 1 is fantastic, but as others have said, the audio recordings don't really do the story justice, so it would be nice to see more of it. However, although it's exciting to have even the first rumour of a rediscovered episode in more than three years, I will err on the side of caution for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    I'm being very cautious about this rumour too, for preciselty those reasons. I'd love it to be true, because this is probably my favourite of all the missing stories. If the rest of it is half as atmospheric and well directed as Part 1, this could well be a bit of a treat...

Fingers crossed, eh?

Now where's Mr Wombat with the lowdown? if anyone will know, he'll know!

Si xx
    Hello! I'm here.

My theory is this: Sebastian from DWO has posted the rumour in good faith, but whoever his source is they're winding him up. Or someone further down the chain. There's so very little information.

Someone claimed at OG that the BBC archives had possession of them and were checking what they were (thought to be episodes 5 & 6), but two people (Ian Levine and Ed Kemmer) both contacted the archives, and they knew nothing of it.

So, my opinion; hoax.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    if any body is interested there is a long on-going discussion, on both the Outpost Gallifrey & Ian Leevine forums about the possibility of missing episodes being held in Zambia, apparantly the Zambian, archives hold up to 10,000, cans of film. Unfortunantly these archives are reported to be in very poor condition and it is not known what is held in them . People hear have made contact with the relevant people in Zambia, and the wheels have been set in motion but it will probably be a very long time before any thing is known as to what these archives hold.
    Is the discussion still "on-going"? I thought I read that Sue Malden from the BBC archives had been assured it was all local government film, and there was no chance of any DW being amongst it?