Pip Madeley Guest

Default Doctor Who: The (New Series) Encyclopaedia

Reported at DWO:

The definitive A-Z, packed with never seen before photos, concept drawings and special effects artwork.

This is a must for every fan of the new series "Doctor Who". Covering both Christopher Eccelston and David Tennant's "Doctors" this encylopedia is the perfect companion for anyone wishing to know more about the Doctor, the Tardis, his friends and enemies and the worlds through which he travels.

This is the "Doctor Who" book all the fans have been waiting for. It is written by Gary Russell the author of the bestselling "Doctor Who: Inside Story".

Doctor Who The Encyclopedia is released on 4th October 2007, priced £14.99.
    I doubt it's the book we've all been waiting for, I really enjoyed reading 'The Inside Story', nice cover too.

F is for Farting.
    G is for Gay Agenda.
    L is for 'Levine Leaving Fandom'
    S is for Squee.
    W is for Whinging Fans.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Trouble is, any book like that is going to be out of date almost as soon as it's released, once Voyage of the Damned and season 4 come along. Like Pip, I greatly enjoyed The Inside Story, but this one does rather smack of milking it.

This is the "Doctor Who" book all the fans have been waiting for.
    The horrendous hyperbole of Fleet Street!

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    F is for Farting.
    G is for Gay Agenda.
    L is for 'Levine Leaving Fandom'
    S is for Squee.
    W is for Whinging Fans.
    B is for Boak, Christopher Eccleston punching Keith

What is this story about CE not getting on with Keith Boak? Can somebody please, well, dish the full dirt, as I don't think I've ever really heard it. I could wait for Pixley's Archive, but I suspect that'll be some years ahead yet.

Pip Madeley Guest

Chris Eccleston, Keith Boak and the production team have all remained pretty tight-lipped about the whole thing, but the story goes that Eccleston agreed to do Doctor Who because at first the plan was for six episodes, but the BBC more than doubled the amount to 13 and he wasn't best pleased. Boak didn't make himself popular with Eccleston or the production team...

Making Rose...

Director Keith Boak caused some friction with the special effects department when he decided to film some of the Auton suits from behind, despite the fact that the backs of the heads were open. His reasoning was that it could be CGIed out in post-production, which it was, but the SFX team did not appreciate being given more work. Boak has since found it difficult to get more directing work.
    Making Aliens of London...

Recording was intended to be completed by this stage, but the complexity of the first production block had caused Boak to fall badly behind schedule. Consequently, additional time was allocated to the story.
    And so by the end of it, overworked and exhausted, Eccleston decided to leave. The rumour goes that he threatened to lamp Boak.

Interesting. Thanks for that Pip - although I find the "because at first the plan was for six episodes, but the BBC more than doubled the amount to 13 and he wasn't best pleased" a bit hard to swallow. By all accounts 13 was established very early on, wasn't it. Certainly CE would have been aware long before he signed for the part, I would have thought (unless his agent is absolutely useless).

Pip Madeley Guest

Well as I say it's all rumour really, there's nothing concrete as yet.