Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2001: A Space Odyssey

I'm ashamed to say I have only recently seen this film, I say ashamed as it has to be one of the greatest films I've ever seen. I've heard a lot of people saying its boring and confusing, but I don't think its either of those two things, not in the slightest. In a way its the perfect use of the film medium, the closest thing to a cinematic work of art I've ever seen. I can't think of a single negative thing to say about this film; the images, the music, the acting is (in my humble opinion) flawless.
    I texted a mate to tell him I'd finally got around to watching it - he informed me it was an even greater experience when you watched it under the influence of mind altering drugs, but I suppose I'll have to take his word for that!

I've never watched this film all the way through. I'm one of those who found it boring, but that could be because I wasn't old enough to appreciate it when I tried to sit through it. I will give it another try one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    I've never watched this film all the way through. I'm one of those who found it boring, but that could be because I wasn't old enough to appreciate it when I tried to sit through it. I will give it another try one day.

pretty much the same as me i've seen bits of it while flicking through the channels but I honestly can't remember if i've sat through the whole film.e

I've heard a lot of people saying its boring
    It's not fast-paced at all; which (to me) explains those responses.

closest thing to a cinematic work of art I've ever seen
    Oh yes; it did expand and explore new horizons for cinematic Sci-Fi. The same as the book (and 3 follow-up books) did for Sci-Fi novels.
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

It's not fast-paced at all; which (to me) explains those responses
    I suppose thats a fair comment; I just watched in rapt attention and didn't seem to notice the time that was passing...

It's only a bunch of spaceships against a black backdrop!

I agree, it's a fab and rather atmospheric movie. I need to watch it again soon, I think and force Si to watch it too!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post

I agree, it's a fab and rather atmospheric movie. I need to watch it again soon, I think and force Si to watch it too!
    Yes you must, I say!!

Wayne Guest

I really like it, but i must admit that i didn't fully understand all the stuff at the end. Great, atmospheric movie though!

I really like it a lot - fabulous film and I do understand it at the end

Great to see you really enjoyed it Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Hang on, isn't that 'The Space Pirates'?

Fantastic film, and a work of art indeed - possibly Kubrick's finest work, and that's saying something.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    I really like it a lot - fabulous film and I do understand it at the end
    Perhaps you could explain it to me, then!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Perhaps you could explain it to me, then!
    I think it's done very imaginatively at the end. When he arrives in the "apartment" the sequences interlink to him seeing himself age at each stage to the point of him being the old man dieing in his bed. At that stage a third monolith is triggered to evolve the human race into the next level of intelligence.

So the first monolith on earth advances ape like man by giving the intelligence to use tools. The second placed underneath the surface of the moon has been waiting for man to develop those first tools to reach the moon. This second monolith gives man the message to go to Jupiter for the next phase. The third and final monolith in the film takes the human race to a rebirth and the next level.

No doubt someone will challenge my interpretation but I reckon thats it!

Does that make it clear now Wayne? Much simpler to understand than Ghostlight!

Wayne Guest

Seems to make sense to me!
    I figured it was something along those lines, but it obviously wasn't made explicit enough for me.
    Much simpler to understand than Ghostlight!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Seems to make sense to me!
    I figured it was something along those lines, but it obviously wasn't made explicit enough for me.
    I think that it's not made explicit but open to interpretation is part of the magic of the film
    Last edited by Ralph; 26th Nov 2006 at 12:08 PM.

Thats just it, isn't it? Theres no concrete answers, its up to the viewer what they make of it. I thought along the same lines as you Ralph, the final part of the film showing how the intelligence which created the monoliths took Dave Bowman and 'uplifted' him to the next stage of evolution.

Just changing the subject slightly, has anyone seen the sequel 2010?

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Meredith View Post

Just changing the subject slightly, has anyone seen the sequel 2010?
    I saw it once many years ago, but i can hardly remember anything about it, bar the fact that i found it a disappointment.
    Actually, i wouldn't mind seeing it again to give it a proper go, as it were.

No never seen 2010 Joe but I suspect it will be a more grounded movie. Some reviews I've seen do look favourable, I guess I'll catch it sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    No never seen 2010 Joe but I suspect it will be a more grounded movie. Some reviews I've seen do look favourable, I guess I'll catch it sometime.
    Hmm, I can't imagine it would have the same impact as 2001, but I dare say it'll be worth a look...

I bought 2010 today, it was only 5.97 in music zone. It wasn't a bad film, although not a patch on its predecessor, it still was a decent follow up, and whilst it did explain more, it still left parts of what happened unexplained.

Those of us who don't notice exquisite direction often find that 2010 is the better film! There's some excellent creepy moments as Bowman/Starchild makes his presence felt on Earth and in the spaceship. The explanation as to why HAL went mad is also most welcome. The effects are also superb.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I haven't seen 2010; but I've read and enjoyed all four novels.
    I'll look forward to 2010 if someone can lend it to me?
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

WhiteCrow Guest

I first saw the film aged about 10 and hated it - it was billed as one of the greatest sci-fi films of all time.

When I was 13, 2010 came out and I loved it, and from that I read my first proper adult novel, which led me on to rereading 2001. I kept rehiring out 2001 and 2010 from the video store, and really got to love 2001 more than 2010.

The problem is the narative in 2001 is an unusual one, things aren't explained at all, and you have to follow along with it. But it really is an amazing journey into imagination, truely epic in the scale of what it's trying to cover (mans evolution from ape, to tool using creature, to the Moon and beyond even humanity).

The end sequence is truely unnerving, and just a masterpiece about stepping beyond what we know.

I fully recommend the book "Lost worlds of 2001" about how 2001 evolved, it shows Arthur C Clarkes notes about the script, and really is useful to show how writing evolves and ideas change as you do them.

Hey, Joe, there's only one Captain Makara on this site, buddy!

Anyway, 2001! A great film. It's a flawed masterpiece (which might well make it less than a masterpiece, but I'll go into that when I've more time). For now, I'll just say it's a beautiful film (almost a silent film as well, which is interesting to note) and a very thought provoking one. It concernes human evolution of course, and human potential, and Ralph's explanation is about right I'd say. Arthur C. Clarke explains it a bit in the preface to the novel if I remember correctly, but I do like how it's open to interpretation.
    HAL going 'mad' is an interesting one, as it gives the film an extra dramatic 'edge', but is never really explained. I always presumed it was linked to everything else in the film (or it'd be an odd tangent to go on). I always suspected HAL knew more about the mission that he let on (which I think is stated as much in the film and book) and that his failure is perhaps anticipated or encouraged in some way?? Another idea I always had is that HAL goes 'mad' because he realises he cannot become all he would wish and has been hinted to him, and that the next brilliant journey into 'Jupiter and beyond the infinite' will be denied him. In that there is also an element of evolution, as HAL himself changes and artificial intelliegence attempts to take a stand against it's organic creators.

Also worth mentioning is that "2001- a space odyssey" is one of the scariest films I've ever seen, and also one of the most life affirming. That very mixed feeling kicks in at about the time HAL is shut down and Dave Bowman continues his journey into what comes next. The beauty of space and the planets combined with that choir make for unsetttling but brilliant viewing.

I must see it on a huge cinema screen one day as well. I think that's half the reason it was made!

Interesting site which promises answers!

http://www.kubrick2001.com/

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Baynes View Post
    Interesting site which promises answers!

http://www.kubrick2001.com/

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Surely the point of the film is you aren't given answers you have to look for them yourself.