Default Colin McRae killed in helicopter crash

Sad news has just been confirmed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/6997270.stm

Two children on McRae helicopter

Rally champion Colin McRae, his five-year-old son, a six-year-old boy and a family friend were killed in a helicopter crash, police believe.

Strathclyde Police released the names of the four people they thought were on board the crashed aircraft on Saturday.

Mr McRae, 39, his son Johnny, the youngster's friend Ben Porcelli and family friend Graeme Duncan, 37, were all thought to be on board.

Formal identification is expected in the next few days...

We'd just read that too. Very tragic news.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Pip Madeley Guest

It's a shock, you think if he was going to die in a tragic accident it'd be behind the wheel of one of those rally cars... a very sad loss to the world of sport, sadder still that two young children lost their lives.

Very sad news indeed, especially for those young children. I believe he was no longer racing in major competitions any more so to loose his life after surviving so many major wrecks in World Rally is worse surely.

R.I.P Colin, Jonny, Ben & Graeme.

Very sad news. He was a genuinely nice guy, I've met him and his dad Jimmy several times over the years. My dad has been heavily involved in Scottish motorsport all his life, and counted all of the McRaes as friends. This sort of news hits you that bit harder when it's someone you've personally known, even if just in passing, than it does if it's a total stranger.

A sad day indeed.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Not really following motorsport, I knew the name but didn't really know anything about the man- shame that we don't recognise people like this properly while they're alive. To draw a parallel, it's a little bit like Steve Irwin, in that you kind of expect somebody who's known for doing something dangerous to be killed doing that rather than something else.