Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... LastLast

Default What Doctor Who Are You Watching... NOW?

An old thread in a new place... For m'self, I watched the entire of "Ghost Light" this evening (on shiny, shiny, DVD) and very good it was too. It's the first time I've watched it since having read some very good explanations of just what the hell it's all about, so I've enjoyed it even more for understanding it (well, more or less). Rather poignant to see John Hallam, giving such a memorable, but weird, performance - his big build and stature help give the part that underlying power it needs. Wicked!

I was semi-watching Rise of the Cybermen earlier today when Kieran had it on. He's probably watched all of series 1 & 2 about twenty times each. Certainly far more times than I've seen them.

This mass-proliferation of New Who is strange and frightening for old 'see it once or you've missed it' types like us.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

my continuing quest to watch every complete story in the old series in order continued the other day as I watched The Silurians & Ambassoders of Death neither of which i'd seen for quite a long time.

But today I had a break and watched The Christmas Invasion, on my spanking brand new shiney series 2 DVD.

Yesterday I had the joy of watching Doctor Who with my nephew. For his birthday thi year i bought him an Eartshock style talking Cyberman (as he wanted one like mine for some reason), and so yesterday afternoon when he was here for the afternoon we sat and watched Earthshock together cuddled up on the sofa together.

It was great! He seemed to really enjoy it, and watched it intently. he noticed that the episodes were shorter and wondered if at the end of part one that was the end of the story, he sang along to the theme tune and thought it was great that the Doctor's face was in the titles and he liked the bang at the end of the closing credits and he of course liked the Cybermen very much!

So that was his first exposure to old Doctor Who and I think he really enjoyed it.

We also watched the 40th Anniversay trailer which he thought was really cool and he didn't like the look of the Ogrons. he flinched as they loomed on the screen!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

What did he think of Adric's death, Si - did he see it coming, and was he bothered by it?

And, I have to ask - are the old-style Cybermen better or worse than the new-look ones?

He seemed to like the old style Cybermen, and was wondering round the house saying "Excellent!" all afternoon, which was nice.

I'm not sure he was that affected by Adric's death, especially as this was the first time he'd watched a story with him in. He did seem to see it coming when I asked him if he thought Adric was going to die, he said "yes!"

Oh and all the dinosaurs were apparently killed by a big rock from space that hit all the dinosaurs in the world at once because they were in a big circle together at the time!
    Awww!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    I was semi-watching Rise of the Cybermen earlier today when Kieran had it on. He's probably watched all of series 1 & 2 about twenty times each. Certainly far more times than I've seen them.
    Sounds like our bass player's 8yr old daughter. He says she has her friends over & they watch new Who on her own dvd player that they bought for her so that Mum & Dad could get a break from it!

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    was wondering round the house saying "Excellent!" all afternoon, which was nice.
    Maybe he just likes your house?

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    He seemed to like the old style Cybermen, and was wondering round the house saying "Excellent!" all afternoon, which was nice.

I'm not sure he was that affected by Adric's death, especially as this was the first time he'd watched a story with him in. He did seem to see it coming when I asked him if he thought Adric was going to die, he said "yes!"

Oh and all the dinosaurs were apparently killed by a big rock from space that hit all the dinosaurs in the world at once because they were in a big circle together at the time!
    Awww!

Si xx
    Si, don't inflict to many stories to feature Adric on him - after all we don't want to give the poor boy nightmares...

Just you wait - somebody's going to be asking Uncle Simon for a pair of Adric pyjamas for Christmas, I'm sure of it.

Love the bit about "Excellent" though, it's really, erm, excellent.

Still watching Planet Of The Daleks - part five last night, and i liked the Police 5 send-up about the Master prior to it.

Keep 'em peeled, Stu!

Those references will confuse anyone who didn't see the 1993 BBC1 repeat!

Today I finally finished my Invasion DVD with the 50 minute main featurette, which was excellent. Loved the drawings showing the "missing scene" of UNIT rescuing Professor Watkins.

Not sure if I'm going to attempt Evil of the Daleks this week - I'll see how I feel tomorrow night - this of course will be a Monday to Sunday inclusive job.

It must be harder to keep up with the regular Who now, Jonno!

We just slaughtered the Massacre Of St.Bartholemew's Eve, A Four Part Story... etc... on a trip to my cousins.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Watched Revalation of the Daleks and the special features over the weekend. I wish I had realized there were new CGI effects.. I would have watched them since it hasn't been too long since I saw an off-air copy of this one. I'm not going to watch it again so soon for a few special FX though.

I didn't think the effects were all that, and didn't think they were necessary either.

I did indeed begin Evil tonight, accompanied with the telesnaps which were presented in DWM just as they were gearing up to cover the TVM. Doesn't seem that long ago, but it's almost 11 years!

We watched the first half of "The Ark in Space" last night, and I don't think I've ever enjoyed the story as much! I love the rather spiky relationship between the Doctor and Harry, with the former being so terribly rude to the latter. Magnificent stuff.

Wayne Guest

Tonight i tried & failed to do 'Power of the Daleks' in one sitting. Did half of it though. Should be starting a proper Troughton thread in a day or two.

It took me segmented watching to get through Power of the Daleks to. Most recons are the same.

I watched Four To Doomsday last night, it was odd as I couldn't remember much about it at all, even though I remember most other Davison stories (or at least the general premises).

I really enjoyed it, the plot moved on quickly and it was really well thought out and carried out, and the space jump at the end was really cool. Tegan still annoyed the hell out of me though, whining and moaning throughout the episode again. She easily gets my vote for worst companion ever!

Then again, I'm really looking forward to watching Earthshock soon, as Adric comes a close second...!
    Last edited by Alex; 29th Nov 2006 at 8:38 PM.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Captain Tancredi Guest

I've just been listening to the first two episodes of 'The Fires of Vulcan', which is rather good- in fact for early Big Finish it's excellent- and am about to start watching 'Resurrection of the Daleks', which I loathe. But it's my fault for deciding to watch all of Who at random.

Tonight i've watched episodes 1 to 5 of Inferno -

I recently acquired a number of DVDs, and at the moment I am making my way through The Leisure Hive, having already watched The Three Doctors and City Of Death. I've taken to watching one episode per morning while I have breakfast.

Last night I watched the first two episodes of Invasion of the Dinosaurs.

I still love the close up version of the tyrannosaurus rex-if only the other one had lived up to it. (mind you-I still don't think the other ones are that bad)