View Poll Results: How Should The Trial Be Boxed?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Individual ammary cases per "segment" in a slipcase

4 21.05%
  • One 4/5/however many disc ammary case ala "Lost In Time"

11 57.89%
  • Fancy Pants Slimline Shiny Digipack

1 5.26%
  • A TARDIS Tin for old times sake

3 15.79%
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default The Trial of a Time Lord DVD out now!

Now that the "Key To Time" has set a new standard for Doctor Who DVD boxed sets how should "The Trial of a Timelord" be presented when it arrives on DVD? No one will be amused if you say in a bin bag.

It does open the can of worms as to whether or not you count it as one long story or 4 seperate ones. Feel free to pick from below or suggest an alternative...

I voted for a TARDIS tin - frankly I don't care how it's packaged as long as they release it very, very soon.

In a doggy poop bag?

Not for the first time, but I'm confused. What is the difference between a options 2 & 3? I always thought a digipack was just a single box that could hold however-many discs? But that's what LiT is boxed in isn't it?

I can't stand the confusion in my mind!!!!!!!!!!!

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    Not for the first time, but I'm confused. What is the difference between a options 2 & 3? I always thought a digipack was just a single box that could hold however-many discs? But that's what LiT is boxed in isn't it?
    A digipack usually has the disc/s secured in plastic tray holder/s attached to a cardboard package...

Whilst option 2 is still an (Amaray) DVD case, just with more space for holding discs:

Sort of like that.

Option 2 for moi. It's one story!

But it wouldn't be right in a normal sized case.

Yes, a digipack is essentially a cardboard 'book' (e.g "The Simpsons") whereas an ammary case is a plastic box (like "LIT").

Si.

I voted for the 4th option but to be honest if its like the KTT set then I'll be happy.

TAAAAAAAAAAAAAARDIS tin.

I voted for the Lost In Time style packaging. Although I reckon they're individual stories, (because they are 4 individual stories with different writers and directors) I really like having thick spined DVDs.

Although really is should be packaged in a big model of the Trial Space Station with each disc in one 'pod'. Then every time we watch it we could re-create the opening tracking shot by waving the model under our chins.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I think a thick-spined amaray case would be sufficient, maybe with a nice, shiny slip-case, too (I like shiny slip-cases, viewers, do you?).

I also think three discs would be enough, with Parts One to Four on the first, Five to Eight on the second, and the remaining six on the last disc, with extras spread out over the three discs. Unless, of course, they're able to include LOTS of extras, when a fourth disc would be necessary.

I also DEMAND Brian Blessed on the commentary.

I think it would make most sense to bring it out in one chunky case like "Lost in Time" seeing as it is essentially one long story but on the other hand it would be nice to have covers for the four individual parts of the story. It's a dilemma.

I think 4 discs would be best with 1-4 on Disc One, 5-8 on Disc Two, 9-12 on Disc Three and 13-14 on Disc Four with all the extras on each relvevant disc.

There's a wealth of potential extras - Wogan, Blue Peter, Roland Rat, Saturday Superstore and isn't there some French Behind the Scenes of "Mindwarp"?

I will shed tears if the cut scene of the TARDIS landing on Ravalox is not included, assuming it still exists.

I went for option 2, as it seems the only sane option. Steve Roberts recently commented on the subject on OG....
    I don't think it was me, but I don't understand the difference anyway. 'Trial' is a single 14-part story, so it will have to be spread over at least three discs, if not four, and presented in a boxset.

Steve
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Option 2 is the best way to package all 14 epistopic interfaces of the spectrum I think.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Option 2 for me, just to restate that it's one story. Which it is.

But I wonder if there'd be one long documentary for the whole thing or one for each 'part'?

Si.

Wayne Guest

Mine will probably be packaged in one of these:

@Wayne.

It's like an episode of bread..."Buy it, Sell it..."

But I wonder if there'd be one long documentary for the whole thing or one for each 'part'?
    Well, when they package it as 4 separate, unique and individual stories, it wouldn't make sense to have Saward slagging off JNT for 14 episodes.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

WhiteCrow Guest

Problem is on the strength of Trial, Gallifrey pardoned the Doctor, but the BBC signed his death sentance.

It's got to be a single amaray with multiple discs in it. It's just called The Trial Of A Time Lord. Yes, it was produced as four separate stories, with different writers and crew and production codes, but it is presented as one ongoing story, and titled on-screen as one 14-part story. It makes no sense to me to have the packaging divided up.

And, of course, if it were to be packaged as four different stories, some people may find it odd if, say, they stuck in the 'Terror Of The Vervoids' disc, and the first episode comes up with the title 'The Trial Of A Time Lord: Part Nine'.

As Simon Mayo used to say, it might confuse a stupid person.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Mine will probably be packaged in one of these:

indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    And, of course, if it were to be packaged as four different stories, some people may find it odd if, say, they stuck in the 'Terror Of The Vervoids' disc, and the first episode comes up with the title 'The Trial Of A Time Lord: Part Nine'.

As Simon Mayo used to say, it might confuse a stupid person.
    On the contrary, it's the Who fans who would be being stupid. I would have prefered four speperate stories in 1986 to be honest, but it wasn't presented that way, so we have to live with it. It's a 14 part story. That's what it says. "Terror of the vervoids" for example, would have been a great title and could have been a seperate story, but it plainly isn't, no matter what went on behind the scenes. The average viewer isn't interested or does not know about any of that; only what it says on the screen. Besides, these stories are not as well self contained.

I disagree!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    I disagree!
    About which part?

I'll admit they might be more self contained than I remember them (they're one of the few I never managed to sit through for the PS viewing marathon), but they're still presented as a 14 part epic story.