Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pip Madeley Guest

Default A Classic Series DVD Questionnaire

Questionnaire!

1) Do you buy the DVDs on release without fail, or do you tend to wait for a cheaper price? Are you a casual buyer or a dedicated collector of the range? If you're a casual buyer, which era of the programme do you prefer to buy?

2) Are you happier now that 2entertain have upped the release rate? Do you mind the 'special value' (ie. bare-bones) releases? Would you prefer them to slow down and give each story as much attention as possible or are you not bothered? Do you think some stories will suffer as a result of this policy?

3) Does the choice of story being released matter much to you? Would you prefer to get the least popular episodes out of the way, or rather have all the classics out on DVD asap?

4) The crap stories - we all have a few stories on our list that are by no means favourites. Do you buy them on DVD to re-evaluate them, or simply to complete your collection? Or will you completely skip them?

5) How do you buy the releases? Choose the most common:
    • a) pre-order from your favourite e-tailer (maybe not cheapest, but reliable)
    • b) pre-order from the cheapest e-tailer before release
    • c) buy from the high street on release
    • d) leave it and wait for a cheaper price

6) What's the main reason you buy the classic series DVDs?
    • a) newly remastered episodes
    • b) brand new documentaries & rare archive footage
    • c) commentaries and interviews
    • d) all of the above

7) Are you replacing your old videos with the DVDs, or are you buying them for the first time?

8) How do you watch the story on first DVD viewing?
    • a) as normal
    • b) with production notes
    • c) with commentary
    • d) with commentary and production notes

9) Do you have a surround sound system? If so, do you enjoy Mark Ayres' 5.1 mixes? Which is your favourite to date? If you don't have surround equipment, do you hope to someday?

10) Do you tend to skip to the extras first, or do you prefer to watch the story first?

11) New CGI - yes yes yes or no no no? Did you hate the idea and warm to it on viewing? Or vice versa?

12) What do you usually do between putting the disc in and the interactive menu finally appearing? You know, while the logos and TARDIS intro are playing...

13) Do you ever look at the PDF (Radio Times, Annuals) files included on the discs?

14) The continuity bits - fantastic bonus, nice to have, or totally not bothered?

15) Coming Soon trailers for the next discs - fantastic treat, mildly entertaining or a waste of time?

16) Do you search for the easter eggs? Or are you just not bothered about them?

17) What's your favourite regular feature of the range?

18) Do you like the 'grey roundel' style of the DVD covers? Do you like having the covers in uniform on your shelf? If you don't like the style, do you replace it with alternatives or just curse under your breath?

19) What's your favourite documentary so far?

20) What's been the worst/most useless extra the RT have given us so far?

21) The comedy sketches - embarrassing or sweet? What did you think of Eye On Blatchford?

22) What's your favourite overall release so far?

23) Do you look forward to the black and white releases more than the colour, simply for the restoration?

24) Would you welcome more box sets in the future? Which ones work best for you, two story sets, three, or even a full season set like KTT? Do you approve of 2entertain bundling stories from different eras together?

25) Name three stories that above all others you really want on shiny disc asap.

1) Do you buy the DVDs on release without fail, or do you tend to wait for a cheaper price? Are you a casual buyer or a dedicated collector of the range? If you're a casual buyer, which era of the programme do you prefer to buy?
    I usually get 'em for Christmas and birthdays, so tend to 'hint' at the stories I'm particularly keen on. The last one I actually bought just because, was last year's "The Invasion" - mainly because I couldn't wait to see the animation!

2) Are you happier now that 2entertain have upped the release rate? Do you mind the 'special value' (ie. bare-bones) releases? Would you prefer them to slow down and give each story as much attention as possible or are you not bothered? Do you think some stories will suffer as a result of this policy?
    If I automatically bought each release I'd probably not be too pleased at the increased rate wallet-wise, but very pleased otherwise. I don't see any sign at the moment that stories will suffer from the increased rate, no.

3) Does the choice of story being released matter much to you? Would you prefer to get the least popular episodes out of the way, or rather have all the classics out on DVD asap?
    Not bothered - in the words of the philosopher Bob the Builder "It's all good". Even a DVD of "The Monster of Peladon" would have some appeal. Probably.

4) The crap stories - we all have a few stories on our list that are by no means favourites. Do you buy them on DVD to re-evaluate them, or simply to complete your collection? Or will you completely skip them?
    See 1 above.

a) pre-order from your favourite e-tailer (maybe not cheapest, but reliable)
    b) pre-order from the cheapest e-tailer before release
    c) buy from the high street on release
    d) leave it and wait for a cheaper price

a) newly remastered episodes
    b) brand new documentaries & rare archive footage
    c) commentaries and interviews
    d) all of the above

7) Are you replacing your old videos with the DVDs, or are you buying them for the first time?
    Neither - most of my old videos are gone, but I'm not buying the stories for the first time!

a) as normal unless it's a story I'm very familiar with in which case I might do the commentary first (eg, The Leisure Hive)
    b) with production notes
    c) with commentary
    d) with commentary and production notes

9) Do you have a surround sound system? If so, do you enjoy Mark Ayres' 5.1 mixes? Which is your favourite to date? If you don't have surround equipment, do you hope to someday?
    No, so no, so don't know, and no not really! I hope that helps.

10) Do you tend to skip to the extras first, or do you prefer to watch the story first?
    Unless there's a documentary I'm particularly keen to see (eg the piece on JN-T's new broom on The Leisure Hive, then it's story first.

11) New CGI - yes yes yes or no no no? Did you hate the idea and warm to it on viewing? Or vice versa?
    Not fussed. I can't really see the point of it, but it doesn't bother me. Unless it comes at the expense of something else. As long as it's strictly kept as an extra option, it's fine.

12) What do you usually do between putting the disc in and the interactive menu finally appearing? You know, while the logos and TARDIS intro are playing...
    I play chess on the rocks with a cowled figure. Although sometimes I get a bit of toast.

13) Do you ever look at the PDF (Radio Times, Annuals) files included on the discs?
    I keep meaning to check out one of the annuals but keep forgetting. So that's a 'no' I suppose.

14) The continuity bits - fantastic bonus, nice to have, or totally not bothered?
    Nice to see once - I particularly enjoyed seeing the announcement after part 4 of the Traken repeat, announcing The Five Faces season, as I remember that one from my days as a wee lad.

15) Coming Soon trailers for the next discs - fantastic treat, mildly entertaining or a waste of time?
    I ain't seen any - but by all accounts the latest one makes Planet of Evil look good, so they must be doing something quite amazing!

Yes, but no.

Does the commentary count?

18) Do you like the 'grey roundel' style of the DVD covers? Do you like having the covers in uniform on your shelf? If you don't like the style, do you replace it with alternatives or just curse under your breath?
    Yes. Definitely yes. And n/a.

The piece on JN-T on The Leisure Hive (is it called New Beginnings?) although the KTT Graham Williams piece sounds like it might take the topspot.

Eye on Blatchford.

21) The comedy sketches - embarrassing or sweet? What did you think of Eye On Blatchford?
    Ah - see 20 above.

New Beginnings - simply for the inclusion of Logopolis and Castrovalva. I'd love that release if it was totally vanilla, frankly.

23) Do you look forward to the black and white releases more than the colour, simply for the restoration?
    Again, I refer you to Bob the Builder.

24) Would you welcome more box sets in the future? Which ones work best for you, two story sets, three, or even a full season set like KTT? Do you approve of 2entertain bundling stories from different eras together?
    Yes. Not fussed. Yes, it's inevitable - I'm sure they don't do it JUST to annoy fans you know!

25) Name three stories that above all others you really want on shiny disc asap.
    Presuming you mean EXISTING stories, I'd go for...

The Trial of a Timelord
    The Nightmare of Eden
    Time and the Rani

I usually wait to get them cheaper at a later date. There's no real favourite era for me as far as dvds go, I just go for stories I like.

I'm not too bothered...some stories will obviously have more behind-the-scenes material available than others anyway.

It doesn't matter - they will all be released eventually, anyway.

Skip them.

d) all of the above?

7) Are you replacing your old videos with the DVDs, or are you buying them for the first time
    Replacing old videos

a) as normal
    b) with production notes
    c) with commentary

No, I don't have surround sound.

Watch the story.

Yes...as long as they're as an alternative version, rather than to replace the original.

Not a lot...

13) Do you ever look at the PDF (Radio Times, Annuals) files included on the discs? No

Nice to see them again

Waste of time!

Not bothered, really

17) What's your favourite regular feature of the range? The documentaries

They're ok, yes, no, no!

19) What's your favourite documentary so far? The Tom Baker interview on Logopolis

Haven't watched enough of them, so no comment

What's that?

The Beginning box set

23) Do you look forward to the black and white releases more than the colour, simply for the restoration? It depends on the story, mainly.

Not too bothered, really. I'm ok with boxsets in the format they have been so far. As for stories from different eras, that's ok as long as they keep coming in seperate cases inside the box

The Ambassadors Of Death
    Mind Of Evil
    Day Of The Daleks
    Last edited by MacNimon; 25th Sep 2007 at 8:52 AM.

On release without fail. It's the only series I buy on release, because it's my favourite. I don't mind if the prices collapse a few months later really either.

I'm happier but only because I got a promotion at work that means I can actually afford them! I don't think anything will suffer looking at the results so far, as even an extras light story gets more attention than a whole season of Star Trek for instance.

I'm not bothered at all. Yes we all have favourites we'd like to see released, but since everything is going to come out eventually anyway, a few clunkers in the mix is good as they won't all come at the end then.

I'll buy then all and watch them all. I'm that kind of guy.

a) pre-order from your favourite e-tailer (maybe not cheapest, but reliable) Always Play if I can- affiliated now, of course!

d) all of the above I think they're a great overall package.

A mix of both. I didn't have BBC videos of the whole series...

a) as normal
    b) with production notes
    c) with commentary

Yes. We only got it recently so I've only heard Survival and The Leisure Hive so far, which sounded great.

Extras first, then commentary and production notes, then maybe story a few months later.

It's ok, but generally it's not been anything too special really. Parts of The Time Wrarrior were shockingly poor. I don't mind as long as the original ones are there as the default.

Sit there impaitently!

Only once, for a thread on PS on the 1980 Doctor Who Annual.

I like them! They make me all nostalgic!

Waste of time I think. I think it'd be more exciting to have a mix of the story and it's special features to whet your appetite. I know what happens in all the stories- I don't know what in the special features.

I usually let Steve hunt them out!

There have been very few commentaries I haven't enjoyed. I'll say Commentaries then.

I'm really not bothered, though I think the roundels looked better with covers like Ark in Space or Tomb where there was just a single strong image on the cover.

A New Beginning on The Leisure Hive was superb. Also the look at The Graham Williams Era on The Key To Time set was fabulous.

Basil Brush.

Sketches are ok. Eye on Blatchford was a bit rubbish though- not nearly as great as the Sutekh one.

Hmmm. I think The Leisure Hive was great, as was The New Beginnings Set- but The Key To Time might just edge them all in the end.

Not really. I'm impressed with the work they do on all of Doctor Who.

Don't mind, as we don't leave them in the boxes on the shelf anyway.

Full Circle
    State of Decay
    Frontios.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Wayne Guest

I buy the ones i want/like asap, but i don't buy the stories i don't care for. So i suppose i'm not a 'dedicated collector of the range'.

Yes, i much prefer the faster release rate, even if it means less releases with extras. I like the extras, but it's mainly the docus, So if a story gets a little 30min to 1hr docu then i'm happy.

All the classics first please!

Thing is, everyone thinks different stories are crap or good, don't they? e.g: People put 'Monster of Peladon' in the same bag 'The Mutants', but i think it's much better than 'The Mutants'. But then i think it's much better than classics like: 'Logopolis'.

Usually b), but sometimes a) if it's a real favourite.

d) all of the above

a) & b)

Replacing vids that are all already long gone on eBay.

a) as normal
    b) with production notes
    c) with commentary

As normal. I've done a few commentaries, but never production notes. The very idea just sounds too 'DW academic' & dull, for me. (Sorry Jonno)
    I don't have surround sound, but my dvd player is rigged up to my Hi-Fi. I sometimes watch old favourites loud through the Stereo, but not often.

Straight to the extras. Storywise, i still haven't watched favourites like 'The Time Warrior' yet!

So long as it's optional then fine. It's certainly an improvment on stories like DIOE, but totally unneccesary on others, like 'Revelation'.

erm..... I wait......

Not so far, but probably will at some point.

I quite like them, but wouldn't cry if they weren't there.

I like them. Especially if it's a release that you're really looking forward to. They help to build up an early sense of anticipation.

Can't be arsed with any pissing around. Not seen a single one so far, i don't think.

I love the Docu about each individual story. Does that count?

Hmmm...... I'm not that fussed, either way. But all my dvd backups of the BBC vids have all got adapapted VHS covers. I much preferred that style to the current dvd cover style.

Difficult. Probably 'The Daleks', or 'Genesis'.

Weird Science

Not really my thing, but 'Blatchford' was certainly better than 'Oh Mummy', which was utterly naff, & unfunny.

Oh Christ....... For the whole package: 'The Beginning', but for the story: 'Genesis'.

I wouldn't say i 'look forward' to them more, but i certainly appreciate the restoration more so than the colour releases.

I'm quite happy with chronological box sets, but STRONGLY disapprove of themed box sets that mix different eras. I don't want to buy 'Warriors of the Deep' thank you very much, but it looks like i'm going to have to, in order to get 'Silurians' & 'Sea Devils'.

Planet of the Spiders
    Terror of the Autons
    Frontier in Space/Planet of the Daleks Double.
    Last edited by Wayne; 25th Sep 2007 at 12:53 PM.

I get them all eventually. Usually I'll buy the majority of them throughout the year fairly close to the release date, though once it gets to about October time I leave them as potential birthday/Xmas presents for me in December. I already know that my mum has rather smashingly bought me the Key to Time set to save my student loan the pain...

Well we haven't had many special value releases, have we? Sontaran Experiment, Timelash, Time-Flight... is that it, so far? None of them could really have benefited from additional extras...

A good mix, especially as many of my favourite stories languish near the bottom of fan polls (season 17, I'm looking at you).

Completism, mainly, though amusing extras are a good lure - I enjoyed the Timelash package despite not liking the story.

A) if it's a release I want ASAP, otherwise I'll pick it up at Princes Street a week or so after release.

d) all of the above

D

Tomb of the Cybermen was the only story I never got on video, and so it was extra nice to get the DVD. Otherwise I'm replacing the videos.

a) as normal
    b) with production notes
    c) with commentary

A

I don't, and I can't see myself getting it any time soon.

I'll have a brief gander at everything, then watch the extras properly after watching the story.

I loved the saucer effects on Dalek Invasion, and Revelation and Fenric looked funky. Otherwise, the effects strike me as unnecessary or a bit poor in quality. Arc of Infinity is going to look garish and cheap with or without a few extra flashes, and the stuff on Time Warrior just looked horrendously out of place (the "improved" castle explosion was especially dire).

I don't really have any sort of regular plan mapped out...

Not usually.

Nice to have.

Quite fun if edited well.

I'll look for them.

The half hour-50 minute documentaries are always good. I'm also fond of Peter Davison commentaries!

I like a uniform shelf, though now that I'm at uni and most of the boxes are back home it doesn't matter. I have all the discs in one of those small 80 DVD carry cases.

The Logopolis / Tom Baker leaving Who one.

I don't watch the studio footage, though it's nice to have there... I think it'd be the CGI effects.

Unlike many, I rather liked the Sutekh one, and Blatchford had its moments. Earthshock Episode 5 was a bit rubbish though. As was the Corridor Sketch starring Nicholas Briggs and his mates, though that's not the RT's fault.

I expect it will be the Key to Time, but I'll say The Beginning Set for now.

Not simply for the restoration but because Hartnell is my favourite Doctor.

I prefer sequential stories together but if not I'll just put the box somewhere else - and, as I said, here at uni it's not really an issue. I suppose it's quite nice to have a set with several Doctors in it.

The Time Meddler, The Creature from the Pit, The War Games.
    "I remember because cherries send me into a wild fury!"

1) Do you buy the DVDs on release without fail, or do you tend to wait for a cheaper price? Are you a casual buyer or a dedicated collector of the range?

I buy them without fail. I love the idea of having a complete set on DVD, and it's the sort of thing that we can always find the means to afford at the time, but if we got behind it would get pricey. Besides which, I want them now! The Doctor Who DVD's are among my favourite things.

I have to say I'm a hat-eater here. I didn't want them to up the release rate, because I feared the quality would go down, but somehow they've actually got better! Mind you, what was I supposed to think? I'd like to know how Mark Ayres was apparently at maximum capacity but somehow now manages with twice as many releases to do as last year. And he still posts to the RT Forum all day! Teller of falsities, is he.

I favour a mix. I like them to pepper 'big gun' stories with crappuns, and I approve of oddities like "The Hand Of Fear" appearing sooner. But at the same time, I worry when they give us loads of duff stories in one year (like they just did) for fear of turning off new buyers. And I selfishly favour sixties releases, just because I love to see them cleaned up.

I buy everything, but I like to think every story will yeild something new when brought to us on shiny disc. It's a chance to re-evaluate lesser-appreciated tales, isn't it?

None. I pick the cheapest reliable one. Ordering from DirtCheepDVD4u.com because it's 9p cheaper than HMV is a road that ends only in release day misery.

That said, it's a fun regular game to get the best deal possible using all the e-faculties available. I'm not happy unless I've pre-ordered the latest new release for £8.47p plus a £2 discount coupon and affiliated by Greasypalm, with added Nectar Points and Credit Card cashback and Tesco Clubcard points on the purchase.

d) all of the above. I love the cleanup and the sexy documentaries best. My priority is that it's as complete and as lovely looking as it can be. CGI Bandrils are a bonus.

Pooling our resources, we ended up with at least one copy of every Doctor Who video bar about one or two I think. No-one bought the episodic "Ark in Space" for some reason, priority release though it was at the time. It's also meant we've had canny fun making millions of pounds selling both our copies of things like "Logopolis" when we hear it's about to be announced on DVD.

As normal. I have a real problem with commentaries and production notes and things. Old Who obviously has to be rationed because it's been watched umpteen times already, so although I find the commentaries interesting and appealing, I don't like the fact a 'viewing' of the story is being used up without really appreciating it. It's a bit like hearing about your Uncle's ski-ing holiday while trying to catch "The Claws of Axos" at the same time - it's all very interesting, but really if you're going to watch the Pertwee classic, you need to be paying it your full attention.

I like them in theory, but at the same time his little tweaks irritate me. Also we only have two hi-fi speakers, is this the same thing?

Story! Because you might get clips from the story, so obviously you want to enjoy those bits first in context. Though Mr R has been known to surf a continuity trail or two while I'm adjusting myself.

"Fortunately I love it!" As Mrs Hall once said. Even the shite bits are something new. Though I'd love it if the CGI were the default option, just to annoy those purists who warn of an uprising if such a thing were to happen. If both versions are on there, what difference does it make which is the default? It's a bit like people complaining the start-up sequence is 10 seconds too long. For God's sake! Have a scratch! Go for a wee in a cup. These are Doctor Who fans we're talking about. We waited fourteen years for a missing episode and got "The Lion". Savvy?

I sing along. It's a spinning TARDIS!!!! What are you going to do, not look? You'd think some people hadn't heard of "anticipation".

No, life's too short my dears. If you want to read an annual, go to a car boot sale that's what I say.

Not that bothered, to be honest. Especially as they're all rigged.

If we're honest, a waste of time. Though after the first one (rubbish) they've succeeded in making otherwise dull stories look reasonably good. I want to watch "Planet of Evil" edited in the style of the trailer. If that makes it twelve minutes long, that's a sacrifice I'm prepared to make.

Let's be honest, DVD's arn't sofa's. There's only so many places you can hide things. Either that alluring VT clock is accessable from clicking 'left' on a menu item, or it isn't. What are going to do? It's a lovely concept, but one that's incompatible with the Internet age.

Mark Ayres slanty eyed smugness on all the 'audio' featurettes.

They're design abominations, but they look okay when lined up. To be honest I wish they'd just come up with a half-attractive design to begin with, not dashed out a crap one and then got stuck with it for 15 years.

"The World of Birds" by David Attenborough.

I'd have to say that "Eye on Blatchford" thing. It was marginally less amusing than the Sutekh thing. Face it, a pleased-with-himself fan doing a silly monster impression does not a fun extra make.

I don't even remember it now. It's been blocked out my mind. I have a memory of a static spaceship screen that didn't do anything. It was like playing a computer game with lost instructions.

I think, before "The Key To Time" it was the New Beginnings Set. That was rather marvellous.

Yes. It's something extra isn't it. No longer is "The Mind Robber" the convincing white void it was once sinfully misconstrued as - now, we can thankfully SEE that it's just a big white studio.

Are there many more questions? Hurry it up Cyndi, I'm getting bored. And I've spent 45 minutes of my lunchtime on this.

Skipped for timing reasons.

"Shada", "The Massacre" and "The Wrath of Eukor" (with Barbara Benedetti).

Si.

I generally pre-order so I don't forget to order it. So unless I've forgotten to pre-order I get them ASAP.

I'd prefer them to be slower if that means more attention & more extras. I have videos of the story so 'vanilla' releases don't interest me.

I really not fussed about the order, they all have to come out sometime.

There isn't a story I woudn't buy. Even Twin Dilemma.

A.

d) all of the above
    D.

As a companion to my video collection.

a) as normal
    b) with production notes
    c) with commentary
    Depends on the story & how recently I've seen it. 'A' usually.

I'll enjoy the sound mixes someday.

Extras first.

Both. I like the option of selecting to have new CGI or not.

Complain to myself about not being able to skip them.

I haven't yet but I probably will soon.

Fantastic to have, The Pirate Planet ones were very good.

Mildly entertaining. I'd be fine if they dropped them.

I always search for them.

Deleted or Edited scenes, outtakes & behind the scenes bits.

They are fine but a new design on a double sided cover wouldn't hurt.

The Graham Williams one.

Weird Science. It's bloody awful.

It depends whether they are funny or not.

The KTT set & then LiT.

No, not really. I like both for different reasons.

I don't mind box sets, but I'm not keen on releases from different seasons. I like consecutive stories in boxsets.

Power of the Daleks, Evil of the Daleks & Marco Polo.

Captain Tancredi Guest

-I have them all so far, but I can't say that I'm a desperate completist. It took me months to get 'The Mind Robber', and even then it was when one of the online retailers had a 2 for 1 offer so I bought a duplicate 'Horror of Fang Rock' which I then put on Ebay to offset my expenditure.

-The release rate isn't the problem as far as I'm concerned- one a month is fine, it's just the increasing tendency to release several stories at once and hike the price up.

-I'll answer the first question, which is not really.

-It probably depends on the package as a whole- there are some that I wouldn't have bought but for some interesting extras and (in the case of some 1980s stories) not having seen them since transmission.

* a) pre-order from your favourite e-tailer (maybe not cheapest, but reliable)
    * b) pre-order from the cheapest e-tailer before release
    * c) buy from the high street on release
    * d) leave it and wait for a cheaper price

-I've done all four; at the moment I've bought the last two releases from your actual proper shops and paid cash because I was conscious of how much of what was going on my credit cards was for DVDs. I don't mind paying a pound or two extra if it means that I know I own it outright.

* a) newly remastered episodes
    * b) brand new documentaries & rare archive footage
    * c) commentaries and interviews
    * d) all of the above

-Because I sold all my original VHS releases off when my VCR broke down six months ago.

- See above.

* b) with production notes

I have a television with some speakers.

If there's a decent-length documentary on there then I'll watch that first, otherwise go straight into the story.

It's an interesting idea which sometimes works.

Limber up- more often than not I'm watching the episodes while I'm on my exercise bike.

I haven't so far, only on Adam Adamant Lives!

Occasionally interesting, particularly when you realise that your copy of 'The Stones of Blood' has a Radio Times plug before one of the episodes which isn't on the DVD.

I think we might get bored with them after a while. When most of the stories are out, which came before which is going to be an irrelevance.

-To be honest, it rarely occurs to me to look.

-Making a space on my shelf several days before a new release and then filling it shortly afterwards.

To be honest, although they've improved, I don't think about them a lot. I can't see them when the discs are on the shelf anyway.

Probably the one on 'Survival'.

-Arabic soundtracks are fairly useless to me.

-Some are good, some are not so good. 'Eye on Blatchford' was basically an attempt to repeat 'Oh Mummy' and hope that lightning would strike twice.

- I can't help thinking that 'Talons' is probably the best overall package.

-Not really; I think the curiosity stage is over now.

-I don't see the point of calling a pair of stories a box set; it's two stories in a box. The trios we've had so far have similarly been stories which had a natural connection, and there are a couple more of those to go. When you think about it, though, Who must be one of the few TV series now not to be coming out in box sets- for comparison, Ace of Wands came out recently with 20x25min episodes and a reasonable extras package for a 35-year-old series for £40, and that's with a smaller target market.

The Daemons, Brain of Morbius, Image of the Fendahl

Who must be one of the few TV series now not to be coming out in box sets- for comparison, Ace of Wands came out recently with 20x25min episodes and a reasonable extras package for a 35-year-old series for £40, and that's with a smaller target market.
    But is that a fair comparison? As has been pointed out before, Who is pretty much unique in its structure of episodes (25 minutes) within stories (4-6 episodes) within seasons (6 stories). You could equally compare to something like "The Avengers", which came out 3-4 episodes per box set (like Who) or a comedy series. In fact, most comedy series come out with 4-6 episodes (a series) per DVD. Isn't this similar to Who?

Si.

1) Do you buy the DVDs on release without fail
    Stories I really like got bought ASAP, but now I tend to hang on for Christmas / birthday / until prices go down
    2) Are you happier now that 2entertain have upped the release rate
    Not bothered - faster releases seems to mean prices go down quicker as stock needs to clear faster.
    3) Does the choice of story being released matter much to you?
    Not bothered - I’ll get them all in the end anyway
    4) The crap stories
    I don’t rush to buy them - wait until they get really cheap
    5) How do you buy the releases?
    Mainly d) leave it and wait for a cheaper price
    d) all of the above
    Replacing, apart from the odd story I never had on vid
    a) as normal
    9) Do you have a surround sound system?
    Nope
    Time related - if I’ve time I go for the longest extra first
    11) New CGI
    Yes, so long as it stays optional. The more they do, hopefully the better they’ll get
    12) What do you usually do between putting the disc in and the interactive menu finally appearing?
    Last stop at Amenities City.
    13) Do you ever look at the PDF
    Not so far
    14) The continuity bits
    Very, very dull - get rid or hide like they used to.
    15) Coming Soon trailers for the next discs
    Haven’t seen one yet.
    16) Do you search for the easter eggs?
    Only if I know there’s one on there.
    On Location - though that seems to have been dropped quite a lot
    18) Do you like the 'grey roundel' style of the DVD covers?
    Yes - don’t ever change them
    I’ve a fondness for the Bob Holmes one on 2 Doctors
    Earthshock Episode 5
    21) The comedy sketches - embarrassing or sweet?
    Sutekh - bearable; Blatchford - will never watch again
    Talons - lots of gooey extras with it as well as top notch story and commentary.
    23) Do you look forward to the black and white releases
    Not more, but for that reason
    24) Would you welcome more box sets in the future?
    No - they never get cheap enough. Fine if you then release them separately later on.
    25) Name three stories
    Zygons, War Games , Delta & Bannermen (never seen it)
    Bazinga !

Captain Tancredi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    But is that a fair comparison? As has been pointed out before, Who is pretty much unique in its structure of episodes (25 minutes) within stories (4-6 episodes) within seasons (6 stories). You could equally compare to something like "The Avengers", which came out 3-4 episodes per box set (like Who) or a comedy series. In fact, most comedy series come out with 4-6 episodes (a series) per DVD. Isn't this similar to Who?

Si.
    It's the same number of episodes as the transmitted Season 17 of Who, split into six stories of either 3 or 4 episodes each, with a specially produced documentary featuring all the main actors and production staff, a couple of extra plays and an 88-page Pixley Special, as well as various PDFs. Package-wise, it's probably as fair a comparison to a season of Who as you're likely to get, based on the 2007 expectation of a DVD package rather than a 2000 one.

To my mind the problem is that expectations of content have increased as expectations of price have decreased- we expect to pay less for a better overall package than we did six or seven years ago when DVD first took off. The classic Who range's problem is that having begun with the approach of doing one story at a time on the same basis as the VHS range, they're stuck with a business model which has been overtaken by events.

14) The continuity bits
    Very, very dull - get rid or hide like they used to.
    Why don't you just not watch them? Just because there is an extra there that you don't like it doesn't mean you have to watch it.

Si Hunt:

Story! Because you might get clips from the story, so obviously you want to enjoy those bits first in context.
    Well in theory I'd agree with you but The Pirate Planet has changed my mind. I watched the 'Film inserts, deleted scenes & outtakes' extra & the deleted scenes segment revealed a continuity error that always bugged me about The Pirate Planet.

You may think this a spoiler.

During the Doctor's speech about needing Romana to be present to open the TARDIS The Captain replies & when the camera switches back to the Doctor, Romana is inexplicably 3 feet in front of him but mere seconds ago she was next to the Doctor.
    No reason is given for this movement & it's always bothered me. But the deleted scene shows Romana backing up the Doctor & walking forward (with the help of a friendly shove from the Doctor) and then the Captain replying to them.
    So that's one mystery solved Scooby.
    Last edited by Dirk Gently; 26th Sep 2007 at 10:39 AM.

Pip Madeley Guest

Not fair of me to not do my own questionnaire...

I used to buy them on release, but now unless it's an irresistable package I tend to wait for a cheaper price. Work tend to get the single-story DVDs in now, so they save me buying them straight away.

I am happier yes, and will continue to be so as long as the quality of the releases remains high. I just hope they choose the right stories for 'special value' treatment - ie. The Sensorites wouldn't need a load of extras, but Planet Of Giants would deserve some.

I'd prefer more black and white stories to be released, it feels like ages since we last had a 1960s story out on DVD - infact, there hasn't been one this year at all has there?

I'll buy them, but not straight away. Stories like 'The Mutants' would have to drop very significantly in price for me to give in.

5) How do you buy the releases?

I used to pre-order them but nowadays I tend to buy them on a whim - I got 'Time Warrior' in Sainsburys just cause I fancied it at the time, and only bought the KTT set because there was a significant saving, even on the online price.

Restoration - number one in my book. Bonus features are nice, but the remastering is and will always be #1 for me.

I hardly bought any BBC videos of the 80s stories, so I'm buying many of those for the first time. I've sold off most of my videos now.

a) as normal
    b) with production notes
    c) with commentary

Yes I do, but it's boxed away at present. I'm a relative newcomer but I do enjoy the 5.1 mixes and I'm glad Mark Ayres takes so much pride over them.

As a rule, I tend to watch the story first, unless I'm really familiar with it, in which case, extras first.

As long as the original is there, I'm happy. But yes, I do like the CGI when it's well done (loved the Ark In Space & Dalek Invasion bits).

Go to the loo or get a drink.

Never. One day.

They're wonderful! I hope all future releases will have them whenever possible.

Bit useless. As said earlier, it'd be much better if they previewed the bonus features as well.

I do. But they're usually not worth it.

Used to be the restoration featurettes. Really miss those. I'll say commentaries.

I actually like the grey roundels. And they look great when they're together, it's almost exciting.

'Doctor Who: Origins' springs to mind, that was good enough to have been broadcast on TV.

The Arabic soundtracks. Never gonna bother with them.

The sketches on the 'Unearthly Child' disc were great. But Matt West's were pretty embarrassing.

I'll have to say "The Invasion". The animation really made it a special release for me.

Yes. The b/w DVD releases are must-haves.

I don't mind, I take them out of the boxes and line them up anyway. Of course that doesn't always work well - my Three Doctors box is knackered because it's been squashed a lot.

The Chase, The Krotons and The War Games. Why? Restoration!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    Why don't you just not watch them? Just because there is an extra there that you don't like it doesn't mean you have to watch it.
    And therefore I don't. The only ones that have been entertaining were laughing at the various attempts to pronounce Talons of Weng Chiang

However, presumably some time and effort has gone into putting them on which I would rather be spent on e.g. more exciting studio floor plans like on Robots of Death
    Bazinga !

1) Do you buy the DVDs on release without fail, or do you tend to wait for
    a cheaper price? Are you a casual buyer or a dedicated collector of the range? If you're a casual buyer, which era of the programme do you prefer to buy?

I'll get them all, and up till now I've been getting them on day of release. However, due to current circumstances I'm holding on any non-boxset releases for now.

I'm not fussed about the release rate - while I liked the original paced out schedule I'm quite happy with more releases (and the special value ones are lighter on the wallet, which helps with since there are more to buy! ) I'm not sure the releases will suffer - given what we've had this year I think it's been a good year despite the increased rate.

Not at all - I know the stories I like will be out eventually, and I know we'll get a good package irrelevant of the story's status in fandom.

I get them as I'm a completist, but for the stories I dislike the extras package make up for the story.

This one, but I'm limited to those who ship over here.

• d) all of the above

This one.

Replacing them on the whole, although there are a few stories I only had copies of rather than the official release/

However I don't usually watch the story straight away

What I've heard I like, and although I don't have a 5.1 system over here, I intend to eventually.

Extras first - since I've seen the story several times I'm not fussed about seeing it again straight away.

Don't care It's nice to have, but I don't usually watch with it on.

Sit and wait?

Sometimes.

Fantastic bonus - one of my favourite extras.

Entertaining. I'm not likely to watch them several times, but they're an interesting curio.

Search for them. It's not normally that hard

Probably the in dept making-of documentaries.

They've grown on me. However, I like uniform shelves much more, so I'd want them to stay now.

Really can't say.

Probably the TARDIS-cam extras from the early releases.

Love them - and I really enjoy Eye on Blatchford. I'm on my own here

Lost in Time, with The Invasion a close second.

I look forward to the black and white releases more, but more because they're my favourite Doctors than anything else. However, the improved restoration does play a major part.

As long as there aren't too many in a year I'd be happy to see more, but 2-3 story sets are infinitely preferable to a 6 pack.

The Underwater Menace, The Power of the Daleks and Fury from the Deep

(bah, someone did that joke before me )

Of the possible releases, I'd like to see The War Machines, The Dominators and The Krotons.
    Your people? Your people??? They are MY people now!

I do not buy them all on release without fail, as other more important financial considerations sometimes take priority, as, annoyingly, they have now that the frankly superb-looking Key To Time set has been released, or else I’m not hugely interested in the stories (which is why Timelash and the ‘Tegan’ set are still on the shelves in my local Smith’s). On the other hand, I do intend collecting the entire range eventually.

I’m pleased they have upped the rate, because it won’t take 20 years to get the whole range out, as it did with the VHS releases. I’m quite happy with the ‘special value’ releases. All the extra features are a bonus, of course, but some of them just can’t be story-specific, and so some stories are bound to be floundering around for extras. On top of that, eventually they’ll just retread old ground. The stories themselves have to be the priority, since that was what the range was produced for in the first place.

I couldn’t care less what order they are released in, frankly.

I’ll complete my collection, but that will be the only reason for buying stories like Timelash. Others will be collected later just because I’m not bothered about having them yet.

It’s a fairly even split between a and c.

• d) all of the above

d, definitely.

Replacing.

• a) as normal
    • c) with commentary

Usually b, assuming I am familiar enough with the story not to be too distracted by trying to read the notes at the same time.

Couldn’t care less about surround sound, to be honest.

Story first, then extras.

No no no, but as long as the original is still presented I’m OK with it. Personally I consider it a form of vandalism. The stories were made as they were with what was available to the production team at the time. Putting in new CGI won’t make the sets or acting more convincing, nor improve the plot, and they jar with the surrounding material in most cases. Pointless ‘improvement’ for a generation intolerant of the limitations of the age of production, in my view.

Make a cuppa, or dish up dinner.

Nope.

I love them, personally. If I could have one wish for these it would be to have an option to view them actually in front of the episodes themselves, rather than as one big block.

Haven’t seen any, so can’t comment.

I have a quick search.

I enjoy the documentaries and interviews.

I like the cover style, and I definitely like having a uniform style across the whole range. It looks much better than the VHS range, with two totally different major styles, with variations within each major style, and the occasional ‘special’ cover.

Hard to say. None of them have really stood out as particularly more impressive than the rest. I suppose the ones I’ve found most interesting have been the ones involving Tom Baker.

TARDIScam. Utterly pointless.

A bit of harmless fun. A bit pointless too, but, since they are surrounded by other more worthwhile extras, there’s no harm I guess.

Hard to say, really. I’ve liked most of them. I think the Lost In Time release is great.

Yes. The difference between the DVD and VHS releases is so marked it’s almost unbelievable.

I’d love to see more box sets. It doesn’t really bother me which stories are in them, as long as they have their own cases so they can be separated and put in the right place on the shelf if they’re not sequential. 

Hmm, hard to say. I’d like to see Trial Of A Time Lord out soon. Other than that, The War Games and The Seeds Of Doom top my list, I guess.

Questionnaire!

I only buy them on release if it’s a particular story that I want, otherwise I just wait until it’s a bit cheaper or I’ve got some spare cash. I’m certainly a dedicated buyer and I intend to collect them all in time. I don’t have a preferable era, but I do tend to go for stories which I don’t already have in any format (and there are loads!).

I’m happy that they’ve upped the releases but only if it doesn’t diminish the quality of each release. I’m sure with the current bods in charge of the various aspects of each DVD release, the quality will remain high. I haven’t got any of the ‘bare-bones’ release yet so I can’t answer that one!

To be honest I really don’t mind. My ideal is to have every available story in it’s best format and if that means buying every one on DVD then that’s fine with me.

See my answer to 3 above. I haven’t yet bought Timelash or Timeflight but I intend to partly to re-evaluate them and partly because I don’t have either story to watch in any format at the moment!

A mixture, but usually (b) or from an on-line supplier at sometime after the release date. Saying that, I’ve bought a couple from a local shop which deals in second hand DVD’s and I check back with them every so often to see if they have any Who DVD’s in stock! Sometimes I buy them off e-bay too, but only if they’re dirt cheap – some of the prices the auctions get to are more expensive than buying them new from an on-line retailer!

• d) all of the above

d) plus the fact that there are huge swathes of stories missing from my collection entirely! Just call me Pamela Nash!

A bit of both. Some I’ve already transferred to DVD from VHS but I still want to have the restored versions.

• a) as normal
    • c) with commentary

a)

I do but it’s not really set up properly. I’m sure the 5.1 mixes sound superb through a decent system!

As tantalising as the extras are, I try to make myself watch the story first so that I can then appreciate the extras even more, especially if there’s a ‘making of’ documentary and it’s a story which I don’t already have in my collection and thus haven’t seen for years.

I think they’re a great idea! The irony is that I’m glad they’re never the default effects but I’m quite happy to never watch the originals again!

Oh, you know – mow the lawn, do a bit of housework, make a cup of tea. Well it does take rather a long time for all the idents and stuff to play through!

I haven’t so far.

Nice to have – a nice bit of nostalgia.

I’ve only seen one so far and that was the KTT trailer on the Time Warrior disc. It’s quite good, but aside from improved picture quality it’s not really anything we’ve not seen before!

16) Do you search for the Easter eggs? Or are you just not bothered about them?

Some times I search for them, sometimes I forget to look!

Overall I’d have to say the painstaking restoration which each release goes through. Other than that, I like the docus and the commentaries.

I do like the traditional covers myself. At present all my DVD’s are shut away in a cupboard higgledy-piggledy, and it’s unlikely they’ll ever be on permanent show. Saying that, when we decorate out lounge (yes, it’s still not done!) we’re getting a new storage unit which will mean I’ll at least be able to arrange them on the shelves properly, albeit behind closed doors.

Probably the New Beginnings one on the Leisure Hive DVD.

Making Cocoa?

The Sutekh one was quite good – I haven’t managed to get that far with Eye on Blatchford as I soon lost interest…..

That’s actually quite a tough one. I haven’t got all the releases yet so I can’t give an absolute answer, but out of the ones I have I’d say either The Leisure Hive or New Beginnings. Or maybe Lost In Time…..?

In a way. I’m still gob-smacked every time I watch something that’s been vidfired, so I tend to appreciate them in a different way than the colour ones rather than more or less.

I don’t mind either way but if the links between the stories are a bit tenuous then I don’t really see the point.

The War Games, The Daemons and Frontios.

buy them as soon as they are released.

the old release rate of 6 a year was far to slow and it would of been 2015 at the earliest before every thing was released so I amm very happy at the increased release schedual I certainly don't think any release will suffer.

much rather have a mixture of good and bad released each year.

just buy them to complete my collection.

replacing the videos

a) as normal

usualy watch the story first - but I'll occasionaly watch the extras first if I'm not in the mood to watch the story.

not bothered about them

nothing

yes

not really bothered.

thing it's a waste of time as by the time the DVD arrives I already know what the next release story will be and what's on it.

I have tried on occasion to look for them but usualy can never find them but truth be told I'm not really that worried about them

ythe documentories

not really that bothered

Beginnings /Earthshock & Unit documentories

probably the continuity announcments.

absoloutly love em

don't really have an overall favourite.

well I'm a big Hartnell fan so obviously I look forward to his stories being released

/24) Would you welcome more box sets in the future? Which ones work best for you, two story sets, three, or even a full season set like KTT? Do you approve of 2entertain bundling stories from different eras together?

I certainly don't have a problem with 2/entrtain doing box sets with a mixture of stories from different Doctors although that seems only to really work if they are linked in having the same villain. I would like to see more box sets released but it is I feel going to get harder to release them the more stories that are released and the only possible way will probably be to release 2 story box sets of consecutive stories.

The Time Meddler
    Curse of Peladon
    Terror of the Zygons
    Last edited by Larry; 26th Sep 2007 at 4:55 PM.

<cough>Amazon<cough>KTT<cough>

And you didn't answer the last 3 questions.

Wayne Guest

I'm curious Tim, Not being funny, but why are you keeping all the old videos as well the having the dvds? I mean once they're all out on dvd, then what's the point?

To be honest they are a big part of my personal history. I started getting them in 1989 & I've been getting Doctor Who stories ever since. Besides which, there are now some rarities in my collection. Like the 60minute version of Brain of Morbius which I've no doubt won't come out on the DVD because it's not how it was broadcast. Also all the DVDs are episodic and that makes the early releases one offs.

That & the fact that not only am I too lazy to sell them I wouldn't get a lot for them anyway. There's about 18 or so that would sell well but other than that, pennies really.

Just had a thought:

I'd liken it to a record collector who has the complete Led Zep records on vinyl & then gets all of them on CD but keeps the vinyl copies.

I'm doing much the same as Tim - after all the money I spent on them too.

Look forward 30 years to me turning up with them on Antiques Roadshow and frightening all the Youth with tales of VCRs and analogue recorders, only to be told that The Mutants is only worth 50p
    Bazinga !