Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default 100 Reasons Why We Love Big Finish

To celebrate the impending 100th release from BF's main Doctor Who range, lets see if we can up with 100 reasons to love Big Finish! It could be a big thing like a Doctor, or a story or a little thing like a tiny moment you love... anything goes.
    All you have to do is write your thing you love and a little paragraph explaining why!

So I'll start with:

1. Rehabilitating the Sixth Doctor
    I think one of the best things BF have done is rehabilitate the 6th Doctor. Who'd have thought that the 6th Doctor would be the one Doctor that come out on top from the BF ones? It seemed really unlikely that people would ever really love this Doctor, but now Colin has an era to be proud of, thanks to BF! They've softened him yes, but made him a Doctor that everyone can love. Isn't that a great thing!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

2. They keep a part of my childhood alive.
    In a world fuelled by nostalgia, Big Finish keep the Doctors alive that I grew up with & still fighting the bad guys . Sure it would be superb to have Tom on board but I doubt he's interested or willing to get paid the same, but I was only about 10 when Peter made his debut & there will always be a part of me that needs the past Doctors. Lets hear it for a second childhood!

3. They brought new writers to Doctor Who.
    Rob Shearman, anyone? Joe Lidster? Even Trevor Baxendale's stuff was quite good really. Got to be a good thing!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Pip Madeley Guest

4. They gave us the fantastic new voices of the Daleks

Nick Briggs is the man.

5. Proper Paul McGann stories!

Do you know, Paul McGann is almost my favourite Doctor? He's certainly at least 3rd favourite, and he only made one poor American pilot visually. If anyone says the McGann era is one story long, I tell them they're wrong. Because it's not, it's amazing. Everyone knows that McGann's audios are the best (next to Colin's of course). He has lovely old Charley, "The Chimes of Midnight" (according to Mark Campbell's "Dimensions in Time and Space" it's the best story EVER, including on TV. Whisper it, it might be), "Other Lives", the amazingly big quest in the Divergent Universe (which now alarmingly is viewed with the most wonderful nostalgic air), and isn't he just completely great? I love Paul McGann! And it's all down to Big Finish.

Si.

6. Dr Evelyn Smythe
    Evelyn is the best new companion Big Finish have given us. A perfect foil to Colin's Doctor, a woman who stands up to him and pierces his pomposity, while at the same time remaining very fond of him for all his faults. An older companion was something mooted by Tom Baker because it seemed like a funny idea, BF have proven that the idea has loads of merit. She's one of my all time favourite companions and Maggie Stables is just so lovely!

Si xx

Wayne Guest

7. Dalek Empire

And a load of other great Spin-offs!

Erimem

On the guess that Stuart might be being a bit on the sarcastic side...

8 (and 9?) - The Chimes Of Midnight and Spare Parts

Kinda ties in with Si Hunt's suggestion, and also kinda counts as two reasons... though I could also sum it up as fantastic stories that work brilliantly as audio plays and arguably outclass a number of the TV shows to make it just one reason. While I'm aware that there's a debate over which of the two is the greater story, they're still examples of Big Finish - and perhaps Doctor Who as a whole - at its best.
    We ride tornadoes. We eat tomatoes.

10. New Doctor Who Story Every Month For The Last Eight Years

Including six without any TV show. It's hard to forget how lovely it was to have that! I remember I used to go through a bizarre ritual of 'not finding out' about new releases to keep them a surprise. I'd cover up the news page of GG with my hand, avoid any news about them, and hope that I'd be opening up the envelope to discover a new title, cover and story. Marvellous! Big Finish not only "kept us going" through a lot of the wilderness years, but they gave us some great stories to boot.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

11. The Free Covermounted CDs with DWM

Always nice to have.

WhiteCrow Guest

12 Giving Nyssia a chance

She was rather cruelly overshadowed by Tegans big fat trap in the TV show - she spent all of Earthshocked in the Tardis being angsty. In fact it was suggested that one character who died in episode 4 has been kept alive just to give her someone to talk to.

So its nice that the audio stories have redefined her and her relationship with the Doctor in Spare Parts and of course Circular Time, which the last two eps are more about her than the Doctor in a way.

terrycooper Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    12 Giving Nyssia a chance
    lol! I hope you mean 'Nyssa', as 'Nyssia' is my daughter's name! (pronounced 'neesha')

But I give her too many chances too! heheheheee!

terrycooper Guest

Default 13. Proving the Tenth Planet Cybermen can work. Well

13. Proving the Tenth Planet Cybermen can work. Well.

Nick Briggs - is there nothing he can't do?? While younger fans laugh at the voices and outfits, Spare Parts brought the original Cybermen to life in such an eerie and tragic way - far greater than the (imho) terrible, messed up Lumic/Cybus nonsense.

From a design standpoint, the Cybus-men are okay -ish. But they're just too robot-like. Give me plastic, pipes and that ghastly 'open my jaw and let the words sing-song out' speech method. *shudder*

Spare Parts - Davison's finest hour and nigh on the best DW story bar none.
    Last edited by terrycooper; 26th Sep 2007 at 10:11 PM. Reason: spelling

I wasn't being sarcastic

14)Erimem-for breathing new life into Peri and her relationship with the Fifth Doctor

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by terrycooper View Post
    Nick Briggs - is there nothing he can't do?? While younger fans laugh at the voices and outfits, Spare Parts brought the original Cybermen to life in such an eerie and tragic way - far greater than the (imho) terrible, messed up Lumic/Cybus nonsense.

From a design standpoint, the Cybus-men are okay -ish. But they're just too robot-like. Give me plastic, pipes and that ghastly 'open my jaw and let the words sing-song out' speech method. *shudder*
    I totally agree. When I first saw the new Cybermen I thought they looked too robotic. The original concept was scarier, kind of moving once human zombies. And Spare Parts brings this horror home far more effectively than Sally the Cyberman.

However that said, to bring them on screen in such a manner might be a bit too horrific for what is after all a kids show. Also there's a danger of them seeming too much like the Borg then.

Quote Originally Posted by stuartdg View Post
    I wasn't being sarcastic

14)Erimem-for breathing new life into Peri and her relationship with the Fifth Doctor
    My bad - the emoticon crossed with what I've gathered to be general opinion of Erimem herself gave me the wrong idea.
    We ride tornadoes. We eat tomatoes.

15. Lalla Ward
    Well I would choose her, wouldn't I? Bringing her back as President of the Time Lords has been great fun to hear! I love her releationship with McGann's Doctor as well. They're great fun in Shada and that lovely little scene in Neverland where they're pretending to repair the TARDIS.

Si xx

16-Mary Tamm in the Gallifrey series-far superior to Lalla Ward in every concievable way

The original you might say!

17 - Don Warrington as Rassilon!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

18. Guest Stars

One day someone will compile a list of all the great names they've got in Big Finish and it will look stunning. James Bolan, Susannah Harker, Nigel Havers, Gareth Thomas, Derek Jacobi, Philip Madoc, Ron Moody, Roy Hudd... oh I'm rubbish at remembering names but there are hundredsof them!

Si.

19-Bernice Summerfield-despite her Doctor Who roles both in print and audio,her main range has been a joy and Lisa Bowerman is perfect in the role

20. The Photos In The CDs of The Cast
    You don't have to shave if you're doing audio. You don't have to put on make-up, dress smartly or even wipe your food from your face. So it's fantastic that BF take photos of the cast au naturel, bundling them all outside (in the old days) to stand by a wall for the shoot. They all look very happy and homely, like an old family or friend re-union.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

21/22-The Tomorrow People/Sapphire And Steel-for reintroducing them to a modern audience-quality dramas,enjoyably acted and produced
    Last edited by stuartdg; 27th Sep 2007 at 10:53 AM.

23. Jane Elphinstone's music in Seasons of Fear
    I love it!

Si xx