Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    They'll be back together before the week is out... we've seen this all before (and no doubt will again too). They'll sell a few more albums off the back of the news and then annouce they've reconciled their differences and carry on making more albums almost exactly the same as their last seven.

Si xx
    I think this rift is going to be a bit more serious? Well for them anyway...
    They don't communicate as brothers anymore unlike they did in 1998(?) the last time Noel walked out?
    Plus you can only imagine how unforgiving Liam will be at Noel for bringing the tour to a halt? (And will the fans be glad to be messed around like this anyway?)
    So I say it's a split and it's over. And that's five question marks in this post, is that a record? Hey, there's the sixth!

But isn't Noel the creative force behind Oasis? Without him their next album would just be a rip off of previous songs. Unlike currently.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

I didn't really twig, until like others, the chilling presence of the phrase "I have left Oasis". Not, as people seem to be reporting, "Oasis split up". There's a subtle difference. I'd kind of thought "that's that then".

But then Simon said tonight "I wonder if they'll go on without him?" and that's when it dropped. Of course they will! To paraphrase Jon Pertwee, "isn't that exactly what they'll do?". Liam has repeatedly stated that the band is his life, he's not going anywhere. There is evidently some anger right now at Noel, proven by the disagreements that have caused this rift and now worse because he has apparently taken away from Liam the most important thing in his life. What better revenge than to re-launch the thing he's most proud of right in front of him? Oh yes, suddenly it's obvious! It will happen!

On top of that, Liam is the sound of modern Oasis anyway. Noel wrote less than half the last album, and the fact that it was the half that contained most of the best songs won't deter Liam. Noel was starting to sound like a small voice in a thunderstorm recently anyway, his more rigid, acoustic songs sounding quite dated next to Liam's hippy-esque John Lennon airy-fairy clatter; unfortunately for them now, Noel's songs were always still better, but Liam's have sounded different. And when a group is ten years old, you tend to look for something different.

So watch out! We may well get a Liam-penned Oasis album and a sobreing Noel solo album in the shops next year. You could see it.

Si.

I had an Oasis today in Tescos. So they are still going on.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainm...ectid=10594271

I had a comic reply all set up here (spot the mistake if you can) ...

Noel tenders his resignation! Well boys & girls, this could hardly come as a universal surprise to those of us in the 90s who suspected Oasis would never see the end of a century. For a while the saga of Liam and Noel has been the ballard of a charmless man. But to true fans who thought they'd make it to the end, this is a low.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Pip Madeley Guest

Noel IS Oasis in my book - he's the talented one. But maybe it's about time he went solo, instead of putting out the same stuff.

A Noel solo album would be fairly dire though, wouldn't it? He's the brains behind Oasis (such as that is) but Liam is the fire and the colour. So Liam solo would be witless, while Noel solo would be technically up to scratch, but very dry and overly serious. It's hard to see him getting Red One in.

We can't win, really.

Si.

And there's no reason why a Noel solo record would be any different to the songs he writes for Oasis. I always thought it was Liam's singing that made them what they were. Noel's is fine, but it's not nearly as distinctive as Liam's vocals are.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Noel's voice and Liam's voice is like Brian May's and Freddie Mercury's... mono to colour, 2D to 3D.... Liam just has the soul, somehow.

Si.

Liam Gallagher has confirmed the split via the Daily Mirror who were sold a story by a man in a bar who says he spoke to him.

WELL IT'S GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME!

Liam Gallagher has reportedly revealed to a waiter that there is no chance of him returning to Oasis.

The star informed Vincenzo Della Corte of his decision not to rejoin the band while on holiday in Italy, The Mirror reports.

The 32-year-old waiter told the newspaper: "I had to ask him what the future was and he said it was all over and there was no way he would get back with Noel.

That's like saying:

"The 32 year-old Traffic Warden today confirmed that there was no chance of Oasis getting back together. 'I read it in the newspaper,' he exlusively told us."
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

And there are other people in Oasis besides the Gallagher bros, who have track records of writing songs with other groups.
    Still it doesn't matter. Oasis stopped being relevant about 15 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    And there are other people in Oasis besides the Gallagher bros, who have track records of writing songs with other groups.
    Perhaps they could continue under the name Mirage?

They had some great songs, but really weren't they the most overrated bands in history.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowNZ View Post
    Perhaps they could continue under the name Mirage?

They had some great songs, but really weren't they the most overrated bands in history.
    I think that the most overrated bands are usually ones where the frontman dies young and they never got the chance to bore us senseless! The Doors are a fine example!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

If this is the end, maybe time to reflect on what an utter dissapointment the new two were in terms of songwriting. I haven't heard anything by Ride or wherever the other one came from, but surely the fact that they were allowed songs on each album suggested some sort of expectation? Yet what did we get? A couple of banal instrumentals and... well, can anyone remember ANY song that's appeared on an Oasis album not written by a Gallagher? Liam's were pretty amateur, but at least he gave us "I'm Outta Time", "Songbird" and (yes) "Little James" which were at least memorable.

Si.

HOLD EVERY FRONT PAGE IN THE WHOLE WORLD!!!!

Jet have stated they are "not surprised" about the Oasis split.
    Hang on, I'll say that again.

JET HAVE STATED THAT THEY ARE "NOT SURPRISED" ABOUT THE OASIS SPLIT!!!~!~!~!~!!!211111!!!~!

Singer Nic Cester told The Sun: "If anything I'm shocked they managed to make it work for so long. I'd say it's definitely the end. They didn't get on."

His brother Chris, meanwhile, blamed a clash of personalities for the fall out, stating Noel Gallagher is "one of the funniest people I've ever met" while describing frontman Liam as "mental".

"I have never seen them have one conversation together the whole time I've known them. Avoiding each other was best," he told the newspaper, which claimed Jet saw the split coming as far back as 2005.
    AS FAR BACK AS 2005?!!?! Who are these crazy Nostradamuses? Coming Soon - Jet tell us when they will release a song worth hearing "We've predicted our success in 2057!" says frontman... uh... what's his name?

If this is the end, maybe time to reflect on what an utter dissapointment the new two were in terms of songwriting.
    Heavy Stereo were awesome!

Someone hasn't taken the split well ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6IyGAvbOs4

I've just realised that Oasis Split sounds like a rather refreshing type of ice lolly.

Liam Gallagher will call his new band Oasis - unless the rocker can think of a catchy new name by next year.

The group split over the summer after Gallagher's guitarist brother Noel quit minutes before the band was due to perform at a festival in Paris, France.

The singer vowed to continue his music career with a new band, and recruited his former Oasis pals, bassist Andy Bell and guitarist Gem Archer.

But Gallagher admits he's struggling to re-brand the new act, and he's considering continuing as Oasis if they can't come up with a new moniker.

He says, "We're not using it (the name) at the moment, but if we don't come up with something else by the time we're ready to release the album it'll be Oasis.

"I'm not going to call myself something ridiculous just for the sake of it. We're trying lots of new names right now, but nothing's sticking so we're just plugging on with the music.

"Obviously we won't be playing any of Noel's songs... Obviously it's going to be different without Noel and Noel's fans will sneer at it but then, you know, if they don't like the music, don't f**king buy it. Don't come to the gig, 'cos you're not going to be hearing Don't Look Back in Anger... But I do like to think that the 250,000 people who came to see us (perform concerts) at Knebworth didn't come just for Noel."
    Ha! No, they didn't, but did any of them come for Liam's SONGS? They're going to be fun gigs arn't they?

Si.

Well I hope Liam does come up with a name for the band (Even if it's just "Liam's Band"?) and they play small venues and work their way up.
    I know plenty of people who will walk if "Oasis" don't play Noel's songs.

It's 1987 Pink Floyd with more swearing!

So then. Beady Eye. He could have called it anything. And he did.

Mmmm. It's sort of crap.

If you take me as a test case of someone who has bought everything Oasis ever released, I'm semi-interested but I'm not sure I'd buy the album. I'll get the singles IF they're good.

I have a feeling, though, that eventually even Old Numbskull will release that no-wants wants him without Big Bro providing the writing talent.

Si.

I'm not optimistic we'll get good things from Beady Eye.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

All Liam's Oasis songs were ropey! So neither am I.

Slightly Green or whatever his clothing range is called would have been a better name.

Si.