Default 21 People Who Changed Music

Of course, Q Magazine couldn't celebrate their 21st anniversary without some kind of list. So behold, the 21 people that apparently changed music!

Lennon/McCartney
    Kurt Cobain (of course!)
    Bowie
    Ian Brown
    Bob Dylan (yay!)
    Radiohead
    Led Zeppelin
    Madonna
    Kraftwerk
    Ian Curtis
    Kimi Hendrix
    John Lydon
    Elvis Presley
    Public Enemy
    Michael Jackson
    Velvet Underground
    Lee 'Scratch' Perry (Eh?)
    James Brown
    Brian Eno
    R.E.M
    Damon Albarn

Nice to see Albarn changed music more than, for example, the Stones or the Who, but there you go. Is it a good list? Who would be in YOUR 21?

Si.

But Albarn DID change music more than the Stones- if you look at the way Blur changed the tide of American grunge influenced bands into Britpop in 1994, that's probably more influence than The Stones had in the 60s when they were following in The Beatles footsteps. Blur were aguagably one of the most influential bands of the mid 90s.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

WhiteCrow Guest

Surely Thomas Eddison - his "Mary had a little lamb" might have had a limited release, but without being able to record music onto a medium, we'd not have the mass market for music we have.

But Albarn DID change music more than the Stones- if you look at the way Blur changed the tide of American grunge influenced bands into Britpop in 1994, that's probably more influence than The Stones had in the 60s when they were following in The Beatles footsteps. Blur were aguagably one of the most influential bands of the mid 90s.
    Like I said, nice to see!

Si.

Excuse me? Is the magazine changing its cover letter from Q to WTF? Surely they mean 21 people who changed modern pop music. The wankers.

What an absolute stinking way to fill a few pages of their shitty mag. How utterly awful. Perhaps they should have done their Top 21 lists/space-fillers, except that would have ended up with 2,000 crappy articles that make you want to vomit vying for first place.

I bet they said it's top 21 People Who Changed Music of All Time as well, ignoring the thousands of years of musical history of the world.

Who changed music? The people who invented the MP3, Les Paul, Fender, Robert Johnson... I'm not saying the people on the list aren't talented and haven't been influential on other bands, but for fffffs sake, it's just another excuse to fawn over their favourite artists who give them lots of interviews. C***s.

/rant
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I'm certainly not debating any of Steve's points... he's gone really scary!!

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

A lot of people using the C-word today - did you all wake up on the wrong side of bed?

Steve is scary when he goes off on one

He has a point and being pedantic Lennon and McCartney are 2 people and the Velvet Underground are several people! More like about 26 / 27.
    I stopped subscribing to Q for exactly the reasons Steve gives and just because I got fed up of their endless lists!

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    Steve is scary when he goes off on one
    It's all the standing on street corners he has to do to make a living. I don't ask too many questions!

As others have said, it's a very blinkered list. Where's Caruso?!?
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I'm glad Pavarotti's not on there. He had that big hit with the football song, then never got to number 1 again.

Si.

No Debbie Harry?

Wayne Guest

What, no Nana Mouskouri?!

What no

Nana, she lost at Eurovision you know.

Wot no bananas?

I think a certain Hi-de-Hi episode springs to mind.

Captain Tancredi Guest

That list serves no purpose other than to list 21 acts the writers like. As has already been pointed out, they can't tell the difference between groups and people, and by "music" they mean the popular music of the English-speaking world after about 1950. The story of how we came to have the music we have is so much more complicated and involves everything from the invention of the valve trumpet and the pianoforte to African slaves being transported to America and taking their songs (and different tonal system) with them. It's lazy and vague.