• Invisible Enemy

5 25.00%
  • Colony in Space/Doomsday Version 1

3 15.00%
  • Abominable Snowmen Version 2

5 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Target Cover Competition - Group 1

The Target Cover Competition begins with the 1st of an anticipated 50 first round groups.

The top two covers go through to the nest round...

I love Skilleter's work, and Abominable Snowmen is a great example of how good his covers can be. An easy selection for me this time round

I've gone for Abominable Snowmen Version 2. It was close between that & Robot/Giant Robot Version 1.

The Abominable Snowmen is the first book I ever stole from my local library! An act I deeply regret now!

Great book and cover though!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

Good to see this competition resurrected for the "new" PS - I really enjoyed this first time around and having failed to keep up with the most recent cover competition (sorry Paul!) I am determined to make amends now.

Much as I love the early Achilleos covers, I'm afraid that Doomsday (and it is in my collection) is not one I've ever been fond of - no different from the story itself then!

I'm going to plump for Invisible Enemy - if nothing else, I think it's a good image of

Jonno went for the Prawn.

It's a tough old opening round. Even I'm too young to remember those original covers for The Giant Robot and The Doomsday Weapon (the versions I got were both the more iconic reprint versions); The K9 & Co cover is fairly naff, and was presumably done either in a hurry, or by somebody who couldn't be bothered to find out what the story was actually about (it's also, incidentally, one of only two Targets that I've got but never read!).

The only one for which I have any nostalgia is The Invisible Enemy, but I always think the Doctor's face looks a little too craggy on it, as if carved from stone or something. So, although I prefer the original, I'm going for Skilleter's striking, red-eyed, night-time, snow-bound Abominable Snowman!

I think I may, once again, be voting for reasons of nostalgia in many rounds here, and this time is no exception - I've gone for The Invisible Enemy, as it's one of those hardback books I remember from my local library when I was a kid, which I often used to borrow, simply to look at the cover! I will probably be saying that several times in this competition!

It's also quite a good bit of artwork (Jeff Cummins?), and, in my opinion, the best cover here.

Pip Madeley Guest

Being younger than most here, nostalgia doesn't really come into it for me, so I'll be voting purely on quality/creativity. Giant Robot has a great design at the heart of it, but the execution is a bit disappointing, particularly the likeness of Tom. Invisible NME on the other hand has a great Tom, but lacks excitement. K9 And Co is too simple to win this round, doesn't give us anything from the plot at all. So it comes down to Abominable and Doomsday, both excellent in very different ways. I like the moodiness of the former, with that excellent drawing of the Yeti, but I have to vote for the latter because it's a striking cover with all the important ingredients, and to top it off, excellent likenesses all round.

It's also quite a good bit of artwork (Jeff Cummins?), and, in my opinion, the best cover here.
    No, Roy Knipe did that one. He also did the excellent Death to the Daleks cover, which won last time we did the Target Cover Competition.

now this is what I call proper covers some fine art work but Robot, is the clear winner for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    now this is what I call proper covers some fine art work but Robot, is the clear winner for me.
    I love the Robot Cover, but the picture of TB in the 'O' of 'WHO' has always got on my tits!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord President View Post
    The Abominable Snowmen is the first book I ever stole from my local library! An act I deeply regret now!
    Especially since the visitation by the Essex Libraries Inquisition. I bet you never expected them!

I agree with you over the cover though.

I think I may, once again, be voting for reasons of nostalgia in many rounds here, and this time is no exception - I've gone for The Invisible Enemy, as it's one of those hardback books I remember from my local library when I was a kid, which I often used to borrow, simply to look at the cover! I will probably be saying that several times in this competition!
    I've gone for The Invisble Enemy for the same reasons as Dave. I think it'sa very good cover as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing of the results will be different this time round.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I always loved that Robot cover and nostalgia kicks in also on the Doomsday Weapon, I can't remember the book being as dull as the actual production though

So it's Robot for me!

OMG!! RALPH CALLED A PERTWEE STORY DULL!!!!!!!!!!

Pip Madeley Guest

I'm sure Pertwee's reaction would be:

... FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE!

@Jonno & Pip

Wayne Guest

Abominable Snowmen is a contender, but despite that awful representation of Tom in the 'O', it has to be 'Robot'.
    It's a good likeness of Tom on the 'Invisible Enemy' cover, but otherwise it's a dull cover. The remaining 2 covers are a bit rubbish, though.

It's Tom in the 'O'! I thought it was Terry Walsh!

I'd never really thought of it before, but seeing the Robot swatting and destroying the planes is another nod to its King Kong influences - shame that wasn't in the actual programme! Then again, given the tank...

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    It's Tom in the 'O'! I thought it was Terry Walsh!

If i was Terry Walsh i'd feel insulted.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord President View Post
    I love the Robot Cover, but the picture of TB in the 'O' of 'WHO' has always got on my tits!
    I like the picture

Then again I'm one of the few people who liked the Davison popping up in the Doctor Who logo for Snakedance and Enlightenment
    Your people? Your people??? They are MY people now!

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    I often used to borrow, simply to look at the cover! I will probably be saying that several times in this competition!
    There can't have been that many covers with Peri on the front?

Pip Madeley Guest

Not unstained, anyway.