Default Discuss Eye of the Gorgon (both episodes)

For those with the satellite-based power to dip into the future, what did you make of the first half of story two?

For me this was better than the first story. This has all the hall marks of a good Doctor Who script & I can give it no higher praise.

So far I'd give this 9/10. There are problems with it but nothing a suspension of belief can't sort.

I smiled with glee when I saw "Mrs Warboys" in it. With malevolent nuns and a creepy looking monster included, this can't fail - I'm really loving this series already!

Actually... I haven't seen it yet (although I did cry out "Mrs Warboys!" during the Next Week trailer last week). I suspect Little Miss won't mind rewatching it tomorrow (via the power of the VHS) so I'll probably be watching it at teatime Tuesday.

Marvellous fun, and definitely one that will ingrain itself upon the memories of the children watching, I think.

I feel this series is better when it's coming up with new monsters as opposed to dragging out the older foes. Certainly, a better story than the Slitheen one. And the series hasn't even got started! The cliffhangers are a bit crap,mind.

Wayne Guest

I've just watched the first 3 eps back to back, & for me this is about a squillion times better than that 'Revenge of the Slitheen' crap! It's in totally different league. I'm actually looking forward to Part 2!

I just watched it, and certainly enjoyed it. At the risk of being burned at the stake, I don't think Liz Sladen is the best actress in the world (she seemed to be rather over-labouring that speech about the Gorgon myth for example) but the whole thing is such fun, and it's nice to see guest 'names' in a 'kids' show. Phyllida Law was excellent, and the pre-credits sequence was short, sweet, but tense.

Oh yes! That was very atmospheric and really rather good. Evil nuns are always a good stand by in the creepiness stakes, aren't they? Nice turns from Doreen Mantle (always a joy to watch!) and the wonderful Phylidda Law too, who I was hoping would have an involvement in Doctor Who some time... this is close enough!

Nice nod to next year's returning adventures too...

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

That was an excellent story, a really good step up from the first one. And the preview of the next story was intriguing, looks like the writer spent their childhood watching The Last Star Fighter.

This is better than Torchwood for my money. Its a bit of a nonsense to compare the two I suppose - but sja just feels more magic - like a Junior Dr Who. Eye of Gorgon was streets ahead of the slitheen ep too - fab.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Eye of Gorgon was streets ahead of the slitheen ep too - fab.
    Agreed. Watching part 2 reinforced my opinion on that even more. It was on a par with a good DW ep from the last couple of seasons.

I also thought this was even better than the first story - 'Eye Of The Gorgon' looks like it's going to be a great little story, with some nice ideas, great imagery, beautifully-judged guest turns, some genuine scares, and a pretty good cliffhanger. This really is going to be a fantastic series, isn't it?

Oh, and a big cheer for mentioning the Sontarans and for the wonderfully subtle 'Brain Of Morbius' reference.

It's good stuff by I can't help feeling Sarah herself is coming accross as a little bit of a sour faced old misery, not unlike in "K9 and Company". Shouldn't she be a bit more fun as the leading character in a kid TV show.

She should be more like Toyah Wilcox in "Barmy Aunt Boomerang".

Mr Smith, I need you!

Pip Madeley Guest

I watched this last night and really enjoyed it, very old-school Who, even a cracking cliffhanger!

Just watched the second episode, and while it wasn't quite as good as the first part, it was still thoroughly enjoyable, and in many ways, it was more like traditional 'Who' than the new series (and no, that's not a back-handed criticism of the new series). Yasmin Paige continues to impress (future 'Who' companion, anyone...? ) and I have to say, Phyllida Law gave a wonderful performance, and just shows how much respect the cast are giving to this series.

Not sure what to expect from the next story, on the strength of the trailer, but it will have a hard job trying to top 'Eye Of The Gorgon'.

Pip Madeley Guest

Next week's doesn't look anywhere near as interesting as Eye Of The Gorgon, which was thoroughlybloodygood. Great second episode, and it didn't seem rushed like Slitheen part 2. And as Dave said, great acting/casting - it was almost scary as Sarah Jane was blindfolded and helpless...

That statue didn't look much like Alan though did it?

Pip Madeley Guest

I bet RTD's got it in his hallway next to the Dalek.

I have one gripe with the EotG...which is why I never gave it 10/10.
    Why when SJS was blindfolded so she wouldn't be turned to stone did the 'Nuns' holding her not turn to stone even though they were clearly looking at the Gorgon?