Thread: Monopoly

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

We had three games yesterday. Treena won once, I won twice and Steve took a battering each time.
    In the last game, I ended up with the Greens, Pinks and the Stations. Luckily, I managed to get houses on the Greens just before Steve landed on it and that gave me the money to build up both sets to hotels.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Monopoly is a game designed to tear families apart. I have fond memories of the various strops thrown by various members of my family as they landed on the wrong square and lost or when they found to stealing from the bank or whatever!
    Thank God I'm not the only one traumatised by this board game. My brother invented a rule to allow him to continually borrow money from the bank at a 0% rate of interest under the promise of maybe paying it back one day. Thus games would go on forever until someone would declare they'd had enough and he'd win through simple endurance.

He's since had a successful career in both Bearing Bank and at Farepack, so fair enough really!

I have Spiderman Monopoly, and my flatmate has the Here and Now version.

My boyfriend, a great lover of boardgames, has a deep hatred of Monopoly, often saying that it teaches kids to be 'good little capitalists'. More bad experiences there, I'd say!

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Doctor Who version soon. The Ninth Doctor, The Tenth Doctor, Rose, Martha, TARDIS and a Dalek...

Has anybody noticed that Monopoly sets used to come with ten player pieces, and now come with six?

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by brandynigma View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see a Doctor Who version soon. The Ninth Doctor, The Tenth Doctor, Rose, Martha, TARDIS and a Dalek...
    I can see it now - you have been Exterminate, go to death, go straight to death, do not pass go ...

Has anybody noticed that Monopoly sets used to come with ten player pieces, and now come with six?
    It always used to be six, the dog, the boat, the car, the dog, the top hat and the iron. It was only later they started to add the extra player pieces.

We had our first three games of 2007 yesterday. I won all three again. I'm on a roll.

There's a "Global" Monopoly now. Where you buy cities of the world.
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Monopoly is a game designed to tear families apart. I have fond memories of the various strops thrown by various members of my family as they landed on the wrong square and lost or when they found to stealing from the bank or whatever!

Si xx

How true. We had, still do actually, the classic version, probably bought for me for Christmas around 1966. I have fond memories too of playing this with my family when younger. My sister always managed to catch me out on Mayfair or Park Lane, and bankrupting me.

WhiteCrow Guest

Monopoly is the source of all evil. Our house rules were that when you ran out of money, you were allowed to borrow any ammount from the bank with an interest free loan, which never needed to be repaid.

This was instigated by my brother who would often run out of money first. This could be continued until the bank was out of money, and then continued with IOUs.

Hence a game of Monopoly the winner was usually the person with the most endurance to play this dreadful game (usually my brother Simon). I refuse to play it now (we had games which went on over several days).

Looking at it though, didn't everyone play the system a bit like this? Hence Monopoly is evil, and responsible for the Global Credit Crunch.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    Hence Monopoly is evil, and responsible for the Global Credit Crunch.
    From the sounds of the rules your brother's put in place, I could certainly agree with that!
    We ride tornadoes. We eat tomatoes.