Default BBC One controller Quits

From BBC News:
    BBC One controller Peter Fincham has resigned following the publication of a report into footage that distorted the actions of the Queen.
    In July, a trailer for the documentary, A Year With The Queen, appeared to show her storming out of a photo session.

At the time, Mr Fincham told the press it showed her "walking out in a huff". But it emerged the trailer had been edited out of sequence.

Both the BBC and production company RDF, who edited the clip, apologised.

At the time, Mr Fincham insisted he was not planning to resign.

The report, written by former BBC executive Will Wyatt, criticised serious mistakes at both the BBC and RDF Media.

It said there were misjudgements and poor practice at a senior level, and that the BBC devolved too much responsibility to the production company.

BBC director general Mark Thompson said: "The fact is that serious mistakes were made which put misleading information about the Queen into the public domain.

"That is why we are determined to take all necessary steps to address the shortcomings set out in this report."

The BBC has compiled a series of new measures in an attempt to tighten editorial standards.
    Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

This is quite important news, although the real question is "what will this mean for the future of Doctor Who?"

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

I doubt it'll affect the show at all.

Absolutely - all this hullabaloo seems to be centred around that Documentary about The Queen, and possibly, as that last sentence suggests, news and current affairs. I doubt that any drama or entertainment programmes would be affected.

WE'RE DOOOOOOOOMED!! The new controller will think that Doctor Who is too camp/childish and lacks gravitarse.

Edited to add:

From Digital Spy:

"BBC Two's Roly Keating named acting controller of BBC One. More soon."
    Last edited by Milky Tears; 5th Oct 2007 at 3:27 PM.

Somebody has their priorities right

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Levine
    The absolute worst thing that could possibly happen right now for Doctor Who.

I feel sick.

Make way for a naval officer!

Now he knows how everyone else feels when he goes on one.

I don't think it'll make one iota of difference to Who, for goodness' sake.

I have to say though I don't think he should have resigned - yes a mistake was made, but isn't that life? I can't see that he has done anything so scandalous, and this kind of "buck stops here" self-sacrifice tends to annoy me rather than impress me. The BBC could certainly stop using the company who made the programme, but why quit?

I was being sarcastic/parodying the likely reactions of OG fan boys by the way!

Si.

I wasn't!

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I was being sarcastic/parodying the likely reactions of OG fan boys by the way!

Si.
    on more serious point I saw a few minutes of News Night, and they did mension that there are soon to be job cuts at the BBC, and all programms having their budgets cut which is some thing that could effect Doctor Who's future.

I know you were being sarcastic, Si, but I don't think the great Levine was. If only.

Captain Tancredi Guest

The issue is that a string of errors of judgement have cast a cloud over one of the BBC's crown jewels- its reputation for journalistic integrity. Add the current stink at BBC News and the new controller is going to have their hands full keeping the factual side of programming functional for the moment.

I said when the specials and Season 5 were announced that one benefit of announcing them now is that they exist on the BBC's balance sheet for the next couple of years, and the costs of S5 could be spread over the next couple of years given that the specials presumably won't cost as much as a full season.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Levine View Post
    The absolute worst thing that could possibly happen right now for Doctor Who.

I feel sick.
    Absolutely - Fincham's successor will have a lot of hard work to do, clearing up the mess from a right Royal embarrassment, and so, of course, his priority will obviously be to meddle with, or even cancel, one of the Corporation's most high-profile, most successful and most lucrative shows, a valuable commodity which lends the BBC much-needed prestige and pride right now.

Tit.