Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default On Film: Michael Douglas

Just another little thread on another celeb who has a number of movies I've enjoyed over the years and intend to give another viewing over the next few months. As always any other fans out there It would be great to get your comments:

The ones I intend checking out again are:

China Syndrome (1979)
    Wall Street (1987)
    Fatal Attraction (1987)
    War Of The Roses (1989)
    Falling Down (1992)
    The Game (1997)
    A Perfect Murder (1998)
    Traffic (2000)

The ones I intend skipping past (as I'm not particularly keen on them) are:

Romancing the Stone (1984)
    Jewel of the Nile (1985)
    Black Rain (1989)
    Shining Through (1992)
    Basic Instinct (1992)
    The American President (1992)
    Disclosure (1994)
    One Night at McCool's (2001)

And one I'm not certain about:

Coma (1978)

My interest in his movies really kicked off with "Wall Street" which when I saw it at the cinema on release I thought was abosultely brilliant.

If you think there's some here I shouldn't bypass then please speak up - don't be frightened to voice your opinions

Coma is worth a look, definitely.

As is 'The American President', curiously - it's cheesy and a bit schmaltzy, but it's surprisingly enjoyable.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    Coma is worth a look, definitely.
    Agreed. I've not seen it for years, but i reckon it's ok.
    And what's wrong with 'Basic Instict'?

On Michael Douglas: I think he's a reasonably good actor, but not an outstanding one. Sometimes a good actor can make an ok film really good, & sometimes an ok actor just happens to be in a film that's really good because it's a great story with great direction etc.. etc... IMO, Douglas falls into the latter category. He's not as good as his Dad, but his missus is worth a pop.

I can take him or leave, I wouldn't go out of my way to see his films. Having said that, The Game is superb and tense while Romancing the Stone is a rollicking Sunday afternoon adventure.

Falling Down (1992)

Plot: “A divorced engineer for the defense industry (Michael Douglas) gets stuck in L.A. traffic and finally snaps. He gets out of his car and begins a walk through central L.A., where he encounters various levels of harassment, which he learns to deal with by acquiring weapons along the way. His actions attract the attention of a retiring cop (Robert Duvall), and he gets involved with the case, following the engineer's path toward Venice, where his daughter is having a birthday party”.

I loved this film the first time I saw it as a hire from the video store back in ’92 and I still find it a compelling watch from start to finish.

Michael Douglas and Robert Duvall both give great performances with good support from Barbara Hershey as the ex wife.

The opening scenes throw you straight into the tension as Michael Douglas is seen getting gradually angrier as he sits in his car in a endless traffic jam stewing under the intense heat. From there it never lets up and for me the time whizzes past as he goes from one episode to another.

The script is excellent and black humour abounds – I found it far funnier at times than many a comedy movie. I think there’s so much to identify with. The guy in the grocery store that won’t do him a favour with some change and overprices his soda, he gets hassled by some gangland thugs as he just sits on their “piece of shit rock” fixing his shoe, the gang catch up with him later but shoot just about everyone apart from their intended victim, breakfast at the burger bar finished three minutes ago so company policy says no can do, the hamburger barely reflects the picture advertised, the roads department are digging up the roads needlessly to spend their year end budgets, a man has been refused a loan as he’s not economically viable, a natzi homophobic army surplus shop owner wants to take him under his wing, he passes through some rich men’s golf club and gets treated like shit by one of the members….and all he wants to do is get to his family to celebrate his daughter’s birthday…

Meanwhile Duvall’s retired cop gets treated like a piece of shit by his colleagues, his boss is a complete arse who could only give a damn about himself and his own ego. It’s a great moment when Duvall’s cop loses his temper at the leaving party and doesn’t mince his words with his two faced boss at the end of the movie. Duvall plays the part so well and while everyone bulldozes in, his thoughtful policing is shown to get results.

Both Douglas’ and Duvall’s characters are given great depth so that you really feel involved and understand and sympathise with the frustrations they face.

Douglas at the ends says “How did I become the bad guy” and I have to agree I know I shouldn’t but I can’t help feel empathy for his character and I almost want to see him get away with it.

The soundtrack works very well also building up the tension. It’s a movie making a lot of statements about society and meaningful ones. People who are into political correctness will find this movie appalling but in my book that’s just another reason why I find this a joy to watch!

Great movie. I have to give it 9.5/10
    Last edited by Ralph; 6th Oct 2007 at 12:01 AM.

Well I might give some of the others a go.

Basic Instinct has Sharon Stone OK! but I feel it's a bit overhyped. Romancing the Stone...nothing against apart from yes it's probably a Sunday afternoon movie, Black Rain should really star Steven Segal it's so crap, Shining Through seemed really cheesy to me but I might give it another go, The American President in fairness I haven't seen and I've assumed is cheesy from clips, Disclosure was a bit contrived and One Night at McCools just seemed dull.

I do have a lot of time for the others I do want to watch though.

I think Michael Douglas is a match for the performance of his father. I rate him as a good actor when he's given the right material to work with.

As for his wife well what can I say!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    One Night at McCools just seemed dull.
    That's madness, Ralph! Don't you remember this scene?

All in all I think it's quite a fun film, with a great performance from Douglas and John Goodman too, but well, my liking for Liv Tyler may have coloured my opinion of it a bit.

As for Douglas in general, I'm quite a fan of his, especially from Wall Street onwards, I've been impressed by the way he doesn't always play it safe and chooses some quite unusual roles like Falling Down and The Game. I'd also recommend Wonder Boys, which I really love, it's got a lovely wry sense of humour and Robert Downey Jnr's good in it too.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Well I guess what's good about these threads Alex is that you can give things a second chance and get other opinions! Perhaps I recall ONAM incorrectly!

Thanks for chipping in - a thread is only as good as it's interest level on the forum. How would you rate "Falling Down"?

I plan doing "The China Syndrome" next which has Jane Fonda and Jack Lemmon as well in the starring roles. It was before Michael Douglas became the main attraction.

Well I guess what's good about these threads Alex is that you can give things a second chance and get other opinions! Perhaps I recall ONAM incorrectly!
    That's very true, though I might have done the same, the one thing I definitely remember is just how hot Liv Tyler was in it though.

Thanks for chipping in - a thread is only as good as it's interest level on the forum. How would you rate "Falling Down"?
    Well I haven't seen it in years, but I really liked it when it first came out, I'd rate it 8/10 as it's a impressively unique film, and Douglas is superb in it.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

China Syndrome (1979)

SPOILER FREE

Plot: TV news reporter Kimberly Wells (Jane Fonda) and her cameraman Richard Adams (Michael Douglas) visit the Ventana nuclear power plant outside Los Angeles as part of a series of news reports on energy production. While viewing the control room from an observation room, the plant goes through an emergency reactor shutdown (SCRAM). Shift supervisor Jack Godell (Jack Lemmon) notices what he believes to be an unusual vibration during the shutdown. For several agonizing minutes, the crew doesn't know whether the core is undergoing a meltdown or not. Meanwhile, Godell, suspecting there to be more to the strange vibration he felt at the beginning of the SCRAM, does some investigating of his own and uncovers evidence that the plant is unsafe.

Central to the film is Lemmon's character. A man torn between loyalty to his company and telling the truth - even in the face of grave consequences. Against all odds he trys to make his co-workers at a nuclear power plant facility listen to his pleas to shut down and re-examine the plant.

Wow! What a movie this is – I was totally absorbed on the edge of my seat! Fine acting from Jack Lemmon possibly his career best – does acting get any better than this!! Great performance from Jane Fonda also and supporting actor Michael Douglas. It’s just one of those movies that leaves me gobsmacked!

The other amazing thing about this film is that there’s no score yet it’s gripping drama, the score would just get in the way!

I couldn't rate this any less than 10/10 - this is a movie you've just got to see!!
    Last edited by Ralph; 7th Oct 2007 at 5:46 PM.

Wayne Guest

Extremely rare 10 score from Ralph noted.

I must admit that I'm with Ralph on this one. The China Syndrome is a bloody good film. It definitely rates a 9 at the very least.

Wayne Guest

It sounds familiar, but to be honest i can't recall if i've actually seen it or just heard about it. I'll have to check it out sometime.

I'm sure we can get your opinion on it shortly Wayne and this is very much my kind of film Tim - Jack Lemmon must be one of the most versatile actors of all time!

Wayne Guest

I'm sure we can get your opinion on it shortly Wayne
    It certainly sounds a good one!

Thinking of Falling Down..I was just in Subway there and I noticed breakfast ends at 11am...maybe I should go in and request breakfast at 11.33am and see what happens

Traffic (2000)

Plot: “A modern day look at America's war on drugs told through four separate stories that are connected in one way or another. A conservative politician (Douglas) who's just been appointed as the US drug czar learns that his daughter is a drug addict. A trophy wife (Zeta-Jones) struggles to save her husband's drug business, while two DEA agents protect a witness with inside knowledge of the spouse's business. In Mexico, a corrupt, yet dedicated cop struggles with his conscience when he learns that his new boss may not be the anti-drug official he made himself out to be.”

Good performances in this one backed up by lots of good supporting actors such as Albert Finney and Dennis Quaid. The separate story lines are filmed in filtered colours often with hand held cameras to give a more real documentary type feel which I think works quite well. The sub plots interwind to reveal a story about the various types of people involved in drug trafficking. The film shows the problems associated with drugs to American society and I think sends home the clear and important message of the danger faced by young people becoming involved with drugs and the dramatic consequences. Not light hearted viewing clearly but I think any film that reminds us and warns us of the dangers of drugs is more than valid. Certainly a worthy vehicle for the acting talents of Michael Douglas.

I’d give it 7/10 for entertainment value (with full marks for the message within the film)

Wayne Guest

China Syndrome (1979)

Wow! What a movie this is – I was totally absorbed on the edge of my seat! Fine acting from Jack Lemmon possibly his career best – does acting get any better than this!! Great performance from Jane Fonda also and supporting actor Michael Douglas. It’s just one of those movies that leaves me gobsmacked!

The other amazing thing about this film is that there’s no score yet it’s gripping drama, the score would just get in the way!

I couldn't rate this any less than 10/10 - this is a movie you've just got to see!!
    I promise you that this is not a deliberate reaction against your response to 'Nosferatu the Vampyre', but i watched this movie this afternoon, & i'm genuinely at a loss to understand why you gave it such a rave review, & 10/10 score, as i found it a largely dull experience!
    I have actually seen it before, but i'd forgotten that i'd seen it. And i can see why. Apart from the short warning sign sequence about 15mins in, there's no drama at all for well over an hour. I was honestly bored for most of the first hour, & to be honest all the best stuff happens in the last 20mins, & even then i wasn't "on the edge of my seat".
    The performances were all well & good, & Lemmon himself was easily the best, but the film just goes on for ages, & for me it just wasn't that exciting. After reading: "this is a movie you've just got to see!!" & the 10/10 score, I had high expections, but i really did find it a big anti-climax. I appreciate the effort on your behalf Ralph, but i'm sorry i can't share your enthusiasm, which i find a bit baffling, in all honesty. 5/10

Well I reckon it's worth at least 7/10 but goes to show we're all different and yes clearly you're still bitter!

I still stand by my own comments - I guess I'm a bit of a Fonda fan which helps too but Jack Lemmon in my view is brilliant I was genuinely buzzing after that film!

Just as a bit of clarity on The China Syndrome, you said you found it baffling what I saw it in Wayne and therefore in fairness I thought I'd explain. What works for me on this movie is the wonderful character development. Jane Fonda is a newsreporter who has been given fluffy rubbish to report by her sexist boss who sees her no more than a pretty face to spice up their news reports. Meantime Fonda's character is trying hard to improve herself as a journalist despite these restrictions placed upon her in this male dominated environment. In the movie her character gets the opportunity of a story which is of major importance to the welfare of the public and against the odds does her best to get this story reported. In the events she reports at the end of the movie her compassion for her fellow man is demonstrated very well better than any hard nosed journalist would convey. At the media circus she is the only one there seeking the truth about Lemmon's character. It's a touching scene as despite the bullying a man comes forward to speak up for his colleague amongst an attempt at character assassination.

Michael Douglas' part is again a struggle against the red tape. He must take actions that risk his career in order to get experts to look at the video footage of the incident at the nuclear power plant.

Jack Lemmon is a guy who loves his job - it's his life and he is diligent and dedicated in his tasks in ensuring he runs the Plant safely and securely. He identifies cost cutting measures which have affected the saftety of the Plant. The risk of a nuclear meltdown and the serious consequences of this have been overlooked by those at the higher levels who have cut corners. As he tries to expose this his life is endangered - he could choose to do nothing but his principles force him to fight and secure the Plant against all odds. He is the hero of the film yet at the end an attempt is made to discredit his character and rubbish him. Lemmon's attempts to explain the problem at the Plant to a live audience is quite frustrating because as an academic/scientific kind of guy he really dioesn't have a clue how to convey his important message to the public - he tries the best way he knows how - the frustration we feel as the audience is a great credit to Lemmon's acting talent.

What I enjoy about this film is that the script is excellent and the actors are given fully rounded characters to develop and they do so. Most of all Lemmon and Fonda who have the main roles.

It's not an action movie, the film develops fully rounded characters we care about, it's about people and fighting the system at what seems like unsurmountable odds and at the end of the day the stakes are high - a potential nuclear meltdown.

A fabulous film! I maintain 10/10
    Last edited by Ralph; 22nd Oct 2007 at 1:28 PM.

Wayne Guest

Fair enough, Ralph. I'm pleased for you, but i can't help the fact that as a film as a whole, i found it a dull plodder. I agree with you about the strength of the performances though, Especially Jack Lemmon. But if it wasn't for that factor, it would've got a 4/10, to be honest. I'm afraid it doesn't approach anywhere near a maximum scoring for me. But as it is, I maintain 5/10.

And I still maintain 10/10

Wayne Guest

You already said that!

I'd go along with 7/10 for Traffic, it's a little overlong and some sections are weak (Catherine Zeta Jones' section dragged for me), but there's a lot to like about it and it is an impressive film at times. The only problem I had with it is that I saw it was a now ex-girlfriend, and it's really not a date movie - because of that, she got to choose the film the next time we went to the cinema, and that's why I've seen What Women Want
    "RIP Henchman No.24."